Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Nov 2019, 09:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Pyro 1.2.8, Buster 2.1.8 November 6, 2019
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 126 of 133 [1994 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, ..., 131, 132, 133 Next
tom22251

PostPosted: Tue 08 Oct 2019, 15:14    Post subject: nss/nspr libs  

To Barry,

I forgot to tell that the removal of symlinks
was done in Buster 2.1.5 with SM-2.49.5.

Chromium_75.0.3770.142-bk1_amd64.sfs was
used in /opt/

simple script in /usr/bin:
chromium
exec /opt/Chromium/chromium --test-type --no-sandbox "$@"

Testing once again, it turns out only
libnss3.so
libnssutil3.so
are bad.

These four are good,
libnspr4.so
libnssckbi.so
libnssdbm3.chk
libnssdbm3.so
so I've put them back.

Thank you again for your exellent creations.

Tom
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2019, 07:08    Post subject:  

The fix has been applied for Chromium, and Easy Buster 2.1.6 is released, see blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/news/201910/easyos-buster-series-version-216-released.html

Known bugs:

1:
network-manager-applet, the tray applet, crashed a couple of time when I was messing around with wifi. I don't know what specifically caused the crash.

wifi is very odd on my desktop tower PC. I access the Internet via phone hotspot, using a Panda Wireless PAUO5 300mbs usb dongle on the PC, and I found it to be very unreliable when connected via a usb cable. Also unreliable when plugged into a usb3 socket which is a PCIe card. Had to plug it directly into a usb2 socket on the motherboard. All very odd.

Let me know if you experience problems with nm-applet and wifi.

2:
I was testing rolling back to an earlier version on my tower PC. This is a frugal install on a hd partition, and I have been upgrading it for some months.

When I chose to roll back to an earlier version of easy, got an "out of memory" message in the boot partition. This is a 640MB vfat partition, and easy.sfs got truncated to only 119MB, its full size is about 500MB.
It should have fitted, but I think there is a limitation with vfat -- if do a 'cp' to over-write the previous easy.sfs, it seems to temporarily need more space.

So the fix will be to firstly delete the old easy.sfs, then copy the replacement. Will check that out.

rwishlaw

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2019, 12:13    Post subject: FreeBASIC on EasyOS Buster 2.1.6  

An unbelievably flawless, absolutely perfect install of FreeBASIC. All dependencies are in EasyOS Buster 2.1.6 with the corresponding devx installed.

I downloaded

FreeBASIC-1.07.1-ubuntu-18.04-x86_64.tar.xz

from the last entry at the bottom of the page

https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27885

unpacked it and ran

./install.sh -i

Done ! Shocked
bobtron

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2019, 17:48    Post subject: WI-FI issues?
Subject description: with EasyOS

I also seem to have a problem with WIFI reliably connecting...using a "WI-PI" USB dongle plugged into USB 2.0 port on Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop...Chromium reports "ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED"
Seamonkey just reports"Page Load Error"...hmm
Also tried to install "cursor_themes-1.1.pet from PPM repo (also local from file) and PPM "Error,...,pet failed to install...as well as various icon themes (same failed to install msg)
anybody else?
scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2019, 05:45    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Quote:
@Sage: Did you read the stuff you found? Is there anything there to support scsijon's report?

Yes, I did - at least half a dozen. Seasoned db users shouldn't have any trouble locating them. But if you PM me, I'll send a personalised selection/assessment - tomorrow.

Sorry for that folks, but helping with some major work took precidence. I only had an hour to read it before I had to go, but the notice about it did come from a reliable group and I thought it did sound like barry's problem and he should be notified.

Sites such as 2-spywhere.com, howtoremove.guide, 2-viruses.com, virusguides.com, supprimer-spyware.com, enigmasoftware.com, commentcamarche.net, novirus.uk with some calling it a virus, some calling it a malware parasite and others just calling it 'parasite' being the name of the virus list it.

I suspect they got in a hot bother due to it's sudden appearance with the new (oct 2019) release, what it does, and how involved it was to remove, however I believe it is a problem that needs dealing with anyway.

?Someone said that the chromium team didn't know about it, I think, could they give me a url or site address for their bug tracking please, I shall check with my source as I did expect them to be notified about it at least.

Doing some reading about chromium this evening (I don't use it as I prefer firefox), I still think they have security problems to sort out.

Last edited by scsijon on Thu 10 Oct 2019, 13:18; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2019, 06:16    Post subject:  

scsijon wrote:
I suspect they got in a hot bother due to it's sudden appearance in the new (oct 2019) release.

Again, where is the evidence that this virus is "IN" the chromium release?
meddler

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2019, 07:16    Post subject: Buster 2.1.6  

Thanks Barry - all working well for me now. FF now runs from package manager too. This makes it difficult to decide whether to use 2.1.6 or the older Easy Pyro (1.0.14) with Rufwoof's suggestions for using a single desktop ( zephyr ) for home banking. I was interested to see Rufwoof's references to Qubes OS suggesting the use of zephyr. (I tried Qubes a couple of years ago but found it a bit tedious to install and a bit ponderous in use, especially compared to Barry's latest work. Dont know whether anyone will have thoughts about merits of Buster 2.1.6 versus Easy Pyro 1.0.14 . (Cant make later versions of Pyro do it.) This is on Dell Inspiron 1545, about 10 years old now.

Plenty of choice.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2019, 07:34    Post subject: Re: WI-FI issues?

bobtron wrote:
I also seem to have a problem with WIFI reliably connecting...using a "WI-PI" USB dongle plugged into USB 2.0 port on Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop...Chromium reports "ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED"
Also tried to install "cursor_themes-1.1.pet from PPM repo (also local from file) and PPM "Error,...,pet failed to install...as well as various icon themes (same failed to install msg)
anybody else?

Hmmm, ok. You could fall back to using one of the older network managers. If you right-click on "connect" icon, you can choose "Internet Connection Wizard" then click the "Wired or wireless lan" button, then you could try "SNS".

Let me know if that succeeds.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2019, 07:47    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:

Known bugs:

2:
I was testing rolling back to an earlier version on my tower PC. This is a frugal install on a hd partition, and I have been upgrading it for some months.

When I chose to roll back to an earlier version of easy, got an "out of memory" message in the boot partition. This is a 640MB vfat partition, and easy.sfs got truncated to only 119MB, its full size is about 500MB.
It should have fitted, but I think there is a limitation with vfat -- if do a 'cp' to over-write the previous easy.sfs, it seems to temporarily need more space.

So the fix will be to firstly delete the old easy.sfs, then copy the replacement. Will check that out.

I received an email from Ramachandran, he has 2.1.3 installed to a hd partition and has got it setup to work as he wants, and is nervous about upgrading to 2.1.6 in case it breaks his setup.

I advised him that he could take a snapshot, then do the usual upgrade -- replacing 'vmlinuz', 'initrd' and 'easy.sfs' in the boot partition. If 2.1.6 works, then good, but if he wants to rollback, he may hit that "out of memory" problem.

Menu Filesystem -> Easy Version Manager can be run to rollback to the 2.1.3 snapshot, then at a reboot, if that "out of memory" message occurs, then have hit that bug. You won't necessarily get it -- I had about 11MB of extra files in the 640MB boot partition, which just seems to have reached some critical point of not enough free space. If you reboot, look at 'easy.sfs' in the boot partition and if it is too small, then replace it with the full 'easy.sfs' from 2.1.3.

This problem won't occur if the boot partition is bigger than 640MB, and may only be a vfat problem anyway.

I have fixed the problem in the '/sbin/rollback' script in the initrd -- delete 'easy.sfs' first, before copying the 2.1.3 replacement.

scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2019, 13:23    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
scsijon wrote:
I suspect they got in a hot bother due to it's sudden appearance in the new (oct 2019) release.

Again, where is the evidence that this virus is "IN" the chromium release?

OK, being pedantic, 'with' the release! I have ammended my reply.

However since they hadn't had chromium before this release, I sugest they expected the problem to be within and not appearing afterwards.

And this is now definately OT.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct 2019, 04:57    Post subject: Re: WI-FI issues?

bobtron wrote:
anybody else?

I received a pm from bobtron that UltraSNS and SNS both work for his wifi.

It worries me that the ultra-sophisticated network-manager-applet is not working properly. I am running Easy Pyro 1.2.5 on my laptop, wifi, and network-manager-applet is working fine.

I will do some comparison testing, to see if the Buster build is behaving differently on this laptop.

One difference of course is that I compiled everything in Pyro, in Buster using ready-made DEBs.

Rodney Byne

PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct 2019, 11:38    Post subject: Testing wi-fi on Pyro 1.2.5  

My experience;
On first time playing to connect laptop to wi-fi.
After selecting my wi-fi from the local list,
then entering the wi-fi password on the big shiny
new gui, the twirly thing went round a few times
then crashed.
At the second click to connect, yay then the twirly
thing connected.
So it took two goes to cook with gas.

Mind you as I normally use an ethernet cable
about 2 feet from the ISP router, I realise the
laptop receiver is being swamped by a huge
radio signal & wont work consistently.
So lifted up and moved the running laptop into
another room well away from the router.
Laptop connected immediately, so it remembers
the password & you don't need to re-enter it.

What a palaver, I'll stick with a cable thanks.
Regards,R.
scsijon

PostPosted: Sat 12 Oct 2019, 22:08    Post subject: xine on pyro 1.2.5  

sorry for reporting that xine is failing with an error. last two lines are:-

Quote:
No acellerated IMDCT transform found
/usr/bin/xinewrapper: line8 6960 Aborted xine --nosplash "$@"

I tried changing a few things around as I did with a earlier version, but it's still failing this time, I can't even get it to start or give me the xine-control panel.

This is a bluray drive, but running in non-bluray mode so it shouldn't need anything special.

On the other hand, it's working perfectly on both standard and double-layer dvd players so it looks like something relating to bluray is missing.
scsijon

PostPosted: Sun 13 Oct 2019, 06:30    Post subject: networking - network status - ?ipinfo  

Do you have any idea of how I can see the ipinfo page of the network status of the working network under your connection information?

Also it's only giving me the IP Address under IPv6, there should be more as I use IP6 in my network internally, just IP4 for externally directed connections.
frenchiveruti

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct 2019, 09:45    Post subject:  

williams2 wrote:
frenchiveruti, you could type in a text terminal console:
Code:
acpi -abi

If this shows the same information as the tray applet
then the applet is working properly,
it is the acpi drivers causing the problem.

If the acpi information seems to be correct
then the applet is the problem.

acpi command is not found in this OS, am I the only one?
I dindn't really delete anything.
EDIT: Just installed it looking for it on PPM, so there's that.
Code:
acpi -abi
Battery 0: Discharging, 100%, 02:42:09 remaining
Battery 0: design capacity 4400 mAh, last full capacity 3400 mAh = 77%
Adapter 0: off-line

Last edited by frenchiveruti on Mon 14 Oct 2019, 09:58; edited 2 times in total
Page 126 of 133 [1994 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, ..., 131, 132, 133 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: