EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ras

#1966 Post by ras »

Last edited by ras on Thu 07 Nov 2019, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#1967 Post by belham2 »

Hi Barry & everyone,

Have any of you got bluetooth working on Easy Buster 2.1.7?

I've a 4.0 bluetooth dongle from Knivio that I know works on Linux OSes like Ubuntu, Debian, Manjaro, MX-Linux and even slapped it into OpenSUSE & it was immediately recognized and synced to my fairly new (bought this past April from Amazon) bluetooth headset.

When I stick the 4.0 dongle into Easy Buster 2.1.7, Easy recognizes it and shows (using "rfkill list" in a terminal) that the bluetooth dongle is attached.

I then go to sync my headset, Easy says it syncs, but then this sync lasts for only a few moments as the headset then gets kicked-out & unpaired by Easy (even when it pairs for a few moments, I can get no sound out of the headset from, as an example, nor any sound from a mp4 file or watching a video nor a Youtube video in a browser).

What in heck am I doing wrong??? Easy says there are no dependencies missing for the bluetooth setup, but it sure seems like something is missing.

I've tried to manually force pairing to thus hopefully "stick & remain" the headset. I did this by entering the headset's MAC number into Easy's bluez via terminal. But that doesn't help either.

I can't figure it out......this bluetooth dongle and headset combo works across all previous mentioned Linux OSes (above) and also immediately works in Fatdog and Phil's Xenial/Bionic pups.

I even just tried the dongle+headset into Mistfire's pup I have on a USB, using his bluetooth p3bluetooth creation, and the dongle+headset were immediately recognized and synced. I was watching Netflix in a minute.

Can anyone give me hints what I am doing wrong in Easy Buster??

Thanks.

[FollowUp]

Well, I keep getting the "Device Added Successfully" popup, but then a few seconds later it is followed by another popup except it says: "Device Added Successfully but failed to connect. Input/Output Error".

So, in frustration I opened PPM, searched for "pulseaudio-module-bluetooth", found it, downloaded & installed it. Only problem, PPM tells me "libpulsecore-12.2.so" is missing, and at the moment, I've guess I've got to get into another Debian distro, find it, copy it, and bring it over to Easy to see if I can get this bluetooth+headset setup working.

belham2

#1968 Post by belham2 »

Also wanted to note (while I'm fooling around with getting this bluetooth dongle-headset combo to work), for anyone interested Firefox 68.2.0esr is running well in Easy-2.1.7 after downloading and installing it in /opt. Debian is still stuck on Firefox 60.9.0, and probably will be for a little while.

Firefox 68.2.0 is a big jump from 60.9.0, bringing both functional improvement and especially security improvements.
Attachments
Firefox-68.2.0esr-runs-well-inEasy-2.1.7.jpg
(98.24 KiB) Downloaded 732 times

alfons

Test Barry's new creation: EasyOS 1.2.8 / 2.1.8

#1969 Post by alfons »

Test Barry's new creation: EasyOS 1.2.8 / 2.1.8

My experiment and the questions:
- can EasyOS work with this Mac?
- can EasyOS work with such an old Hard Drive?
- can EasyOS boot from this old Hard Drive?
- the answer is: YES it can!

Test configuration:
- MacBook manufactured 2009
- Hard drive manufactured 2000
- Hard Drive connected via USB
Attachments
test_easyos.jpg
Test configuration for this experiment.
(180.87 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
Last edited by alfons on Thu 07 Nov 2019, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Rodney Byne

Sea Monkey in container still crashes

#1970 Post by Rodney Byne »

To Barry,

Re Pyro 1.2.8.

Sea Monkey in container STILL crashes when "Preferences"
is clicked, as previously reported in 1.2.7.
Regards.

wdt

#1971 Post by wdt »

Barry: not to litter this thread, I had some ideas viz yr warping solar distiller,
but @contact has only paypal , no way to send ...

don570

#1972 Post by don570 »

I just read about warping problem with distiller design.HERE
I'm not an expert but I believe that the resin content of wood is an important consideration.
Cedar wood is cheap and has a high resin content.

John Harrison (the marine clock) was the world expert in wood working
and he used tropical wood from Asia
https://quillandpad.com/2019/02/16/rick ... tos-video/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison
Attachments
proto4-test1-3.jpg
warping problem
(25.49 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

drongo

Warping wood

#1973 Post by drongo »

don570 and wdt,
same problem here. Barry's contact page has no details, unless he has artfully concealed them. In Harrison's day use of riven wood rather than sawn wood was more common. Riven wood doesn't split/crack so much but it will still expand/shrink when exposed to moisture.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1974 Post by BarryK »

wdt wrote:Barry: not to litter this thread, I had some ideas viz yr warping solar distiller,
but @contact has only paypal , no way to send ...
Something has gone wrong with the php contact me script!

Maybe my host has updated php or something like that.

Email me: bkaulerATgmailDOTcom

...slightly obfuscated email address

EDIT:
Got the Contact-me form to appear! In SeaMonkey, there is a bar at the top, with "Unblock" button. Click that, and the form appears.

There is now a warning about showing insecure information in an encrypted page. This problem has come about because I am now using https for bkhome.org

Could I create a .htaccess file in the contact folder to avoid this problem?

EDIT:
Ah I see, the problem is this in the contact-me page:

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://bkhome.org/contact/contact-form/"
              style="border:none;" width="400" height="540"></iframe> 

...it is a link to a http url, I probably just need to change that to https

EDIT:
OK, have fixed the contact-me page. Yes, some http: links needed to be changed to https:
Last edited by BarryK on Fri 08 Nov 2019, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

scsijon

problems with 1.2.8 - usb stick

#1975 Post by scsijon »

1- can't use the scribus_1.4.8_1_amd64 sfs as it's qt4. It seems although qt4 is installed /usr/lib/x86_64-gnu-linux is not in the lib path. However qt5 is installed, so maybe the package needs to be rebuilt and easyos pyro sfs'd instead. I take it back, apparently the qt4 is in the scribus sfs and loads when it does, I couldn't find a file like user-installed-packages for these loadable sfs'd either? Can one be added to the system as only the BootManager Configure Bootup shows them up?

2- sound wasn't working from the start, but was ok on reboot

3- starting with a video dvd, just brought repeated try to spin the dvd, but if started without the dvd in and then putting the dvd in after 1.2.8 had loaded, the dvd started and was loaded ok. (didn't we have this problem some time ago and you added a pause?time wait to fix that)?

4- it doesn't like the old 1024x768 4:3 screen either with a i915 intel driver, it's crushing it sideways, 1.2.5 was ok so somethings changed from then. other variations via xorgwizard don't fix this problem either, I tried them all.

and that will do for now..:-)

ras

#1976 Post by ras »

Hi Barry,
If you have a tarball that you want to install in a new container, the Create button could be expanded to handle that. Or, an SFS.
But then, Easy Containers will still need to be expanded to recognise it. I have added this to the to-do list.
"Expanded" as used above must mean a work in progress? Is there any way I could help?
Note that SFSs need to be created by the 'dir2sfs' script. So, if you exoand the tarball to a folder named in format packagename_version_amd64, then you can run dir2sfs to convert it to a SFS.
Expanded in this case means extracted? dir2sfs seems to run and create a palemoon sfs, but can that sfs be loaded and run in buster 2.1.7 at its present state of development? (if I create it correctly)

Thanks
RAS

scsijon

pyro 1.2.8 both stick and hd

#1977 Post by scsijon »

I installed it to a clean hard drive ok using yout Easy DD front end for dd ok, rebooted, added the devx and rebooted again ok.

Went to create a new container for urxvt following the method as is explained in https://easyos.org/tech/how-easy-works-part-2.html. It created it and I can see the directories and icon ok, however it won't start the container? And yes, I rebooted again in case that was the problem.

Deleted the newly created container.

Started again in Easy Container management and created the same thing a second time. However, this time it created it all again AND this time it worked when clicked on. It also shows in the /tmp/easy_containers/activewindows.log, something strange going on somewhere.

Tried it with another 'dummy' and it's not showing in /tmp/easy_containers/activewindows.log the first time, but is the second time, nothing in xerrs.log either.

Haven't tried on a stick yet, but I will later.

EDIT: Update: I played with this for a while and the problem seems to be that it will create the containers correctly as long as their set with the Absolute Minimum Security, otherwise they won't start, and even then if set tht way, it doesn't want to always start, so somethings wierd still.

Sage

#1978 Post by Sage »

- need sound default set ~90% at boot to hear it's woofwoof on any and all speaker systems. If it is working, dead easy to reduce it to required level!
4- it doesn't like the old 1024x768 4:3 screen either with a i915 intel driver, it's crushing it sideways, 1.2.5 was ok so something's changed from then. other variations via xorgwizard don't fix this problem either, I tried them all.
- there's a lot of 1024x768 screens, including 4:3. Seems they were produced during a period when reliability had peaked and are longer lasting than older and newer stuff.

scsijon

#1979 Post by scsijon »

Sage wrote:
- need sound default set ~90% at boot to hear it's woofwoof on any and all speaker systems. If it is working, dead easy to reduce it to required level!
All I did was reboot and it came up and worked at a decent level, didn't have to play with anything. This was a fyi, not a request for a fix.
Sage wrote:
4- it doesn't like the old 1024x768 4:3 screen either with a i915 intel driver, it's crushing it sideways, 1.2.5 was ok so something's changed from then. other variations via xorgwizard don't fix this problem either, I tried them all.
- there's a lot of 1024x768 screens, including 4:3. Seems they were produced during a period when reliability had peaked and are longer lasting than older and newer stuff.
Works ok on an earlier version (pyro-1.2.5) without problems.

Sage

#1980 Post by Sage »

All I did was reboot and it came up and worked at a decent level, didn't have to play with anything. This was a fyi, not a request for a fix.
Sorry - misunderstanding, although the tenor of my comment still applies. It's very useful to know immediately whether sound is working or not. I think BK did offer to increase the default level to ~75%, but even this is not enough for those cr*p tiny in-monitor units and some laptop speakers. Since woofwoof exists and is intended to sound on initial boot to screen, might as well give sufficient blast that it serves its intended purpose however poor the HW sounder(s) are/is?!

frenchiveruti

#1981 Post by frenchiveruti »

Hello Barry.
One thing I've noticed is that you've uploaded the SFS files for EasyOS on the oe/pyro repo directory, instead of the EasyOS one.
Is that intentional?

My question comes as I'm running EasyOS 2.1.3, and I would like to upgrade the system to EasyOS 2.1.8, how would I do that?
Do you have any blog entry that covers this approach of "upgrading" the base SFS, instead of a RollBack?
Thanks!

On a second topic, I would like to see a change into the yellow ugly download window, it actually sits ON TOP of EVERYTHING, and it also covers ANY virtual desktop you may have, and there's no obvious way to closing them.
This is specially annoying on big downloads that take like 30 minutes, that means 30 minutes with the screen half taken.
I guess it's not that big of a priority but still.

frenchiveruti

#1982 Post by frenchiveruti »

belham2 wrote:Also wanted to note (while I'm fooling around with getting this bluetooth dongle-headset combo to work), for anyone interested Firefox 68.2.0esr is running well in Easy-2.1.7 after downloading and installing it in /opt. Debian is still stuck on Firefox 60.9.0, and probably will be for a little while.

Firefox 68.2.0 is a big jump from 60.9.0, bringing both functional improvement and especially security improvements.
How do you upgrade from FF60 to FF68?
I downloaded the 60 from the PetGet PPM.
Do I do that again? Can't find it there.
Thanks.

tom22251

audio, Sage

#1983 Post by tom22251 »

Hi SAGE,

Put this little script in your Startup folder, and
name it "au.sh" (or any other name) :

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
aumix -v 90
aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.au &
exit
You'll never will have sound problems. Values
are from zero to 100. Ilike'it around 77-80 which
is little bit higher than the middle.
I came upwith this when month ago one of the
Pyro issues had the sound at zero.
Anyway this way it will always start at your
favorit loudness.

Take care,
Tom

Sage

#1984 Post by Sage »

Muchas garcias, Tom.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1985 Post by BarryK »

frenchiveruti wrote:My question comes as I'm running EasyOS 2.1.3, and I would like to upgrade the system to EasyOS 2.1.8, how would I do that?
Do you have any blog entry that covers this approach of "upgrading" the base SFS, instead of a RollBack?
Thanks!
https://easyos.org/user/easy-version-up ... grade.html
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]