Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Sep 2018, 15:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Pyro 0.9.6 (August 22), Beaver 0.9.4 (Sept. 21), 2018
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 15 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep 2017, 19:47    Post subject:  

pupmate wrote:
To answer my own question, I've just downloaded ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, put it on a pen-drive and run the pc from it.

The file structure of /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups is there, no sign of x86_64-linux-gnu bit.

Seems it's an invention of Easy0.4.

Also it isn't in Easy0.3 either.

For what it's worth.

Terry

No, it isn't in Easy 0.4 either. Easy is built from Ubuntu DEBs, and the path is /usr/lib/cups

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep 2017, 19:54    Post subject: Re: Easy Linux 0.4 pre-alpha, released Aug 27, 2017  

ETP wrote:
The current test, now contained in /etc/rc.d/rc.network_eth is plainly erratic and falsely failing.
On the assumption that it is a timing issue I have inserted an additional 2 second sleep at line 24 & will see if
that is of any benefit.
If it helps a simpler alternate test might be:

Code:
cat /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier

It returns 1 for yes or 0 for no.

# cat /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier
cat: /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier: Invalid argument

...it is there, I wonder why get that error message?

eth0 is currently in use.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep 2017, 20:31    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:

Can i ask you a favor? Will you set up a test "frugal" install of Easy, then do the following:

1) Update PPM

2) and download/install latest Firefox

3) Open it up and play with it for a minute

(then the critical part)

4) open up "Easy Container Management" from Menu

5) create a Container for "Firefox"

6) watch it create the said container

7) but then try to find some way to launch it from the "ec-chroot friefox.dekstop" that Easy Container Management created.

I must be doing something terribly wrong Embarassed . I can't get anything to launch, created with Easy Container Management, in any of my 'frugal' installs of Easy 0.4. I had to "manually" copy everything (firefox-related) over from the non-container side into the 'Firefox" Container itself. Why? Well, even though Easy Container Management created the Firefox container, it is/was nowhere to be found in the Container itself. Crying or Very sad I even had to create my own symlink from the Container back to the non-Container desktop so Firefox would lauch from the Container (or at least that's what I hope is happening).

P.S. Substitutng Firefox, though, for Seamonkey in my 'frugal' installs (have 3 going on different USBs) has solved all the weirdness I was reporting from Seamonkey. I'm thankful for that as it was driving me crazy Wink

First off, about the terminology. Easy does not have a "save file", now does it have a "full install". There is only one mode of of operation, regardless of running from a usb-stick or in the internal hard drive. You could call this "frugal".

In other words, it is a frugal installation when running from USB-stick also. There should be no difference in behaviour, compared with install to a internal drive.

I did a quick test. Have Easy installed in the SSD in my Mele mini-PC.

Ran "easy-containers" from a terminal, so can see if any error messages.

Chose to create "geany" in a container. Did not change any security settings -- that is important, as this is pre-alpha, and a change in security settings then it might not work.

That's all, it is done.

Geany-in-container is now in the menu, but running from a terminal:

# ec-chroot geany

...yep, works.

belham2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct 2017, 04:22    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:

Can i ask you a favor? Will you set up a test "frugal" install of Easy, then do the following:

1) Update PPM

2) and download/install latest Firefox

3) Open it up and play with it for a minute

(then the critical part)

4) open up "Easy Container Management" from Menu

5) create a Container for "Firefox"

6) watch it create the said container

7) but then try to find some way to launch it from the "ec-chroot friefox.dekstop" that Easy Container Management created.

I must be doing something terribly wrong Embarassed . I can't get anything to launch, created with Easy Container Management, in any of my 'frugal' installs of Easy 0.4. I had to "manually" copy everything (firefox-related) over from the non-container side into the 'Firefox" Container itself. Why? Well, even though Easy Container Management created the Firefox container, it is/was nowhere to be found in the Container itself. Crying or Very sad I even had to create my own symlink from the Container back to the non-Container desktop so Firefox would lauch from the Container (or at least that's what I hope is happening).

P.S. Substitutng Firefox, though, for Seamonkey in my 'frugal' installs (have 3 going on different USBs) has solved all the weirdness I was reporting from Seamonkey. I'm thankful for that as it was driving me crazy Wink

First off, about the terminology. Easy does not have a "save file", now does it have a "full install". There is only one mode of of operation, regardless of running from a usb-stick or in the internal hard drive. You could call this "frugal".

In other words, it is a frugal installation when running from USB-stick also. There should be no difference in behaviour, compared with install to a internal drive.

I did a quick test. Have Easy installed in the SSD in my Mele mini-PC.

Ran "easy-containers" from a terminal, so can see if any error messages.

Chose to create "geany" in a container. Did not change any security settings -- that is important, as this is pre-alpha, and a change in security settings then it might not work.

That's all, it is done.

Geany-in-container is now in the menu, but running from a terminal:

# ec-chroot geany

...yep, works.

Hi Barry,

Sorry, I must have not been making clear (in 4 different posts now) what is going on.

1) This has to be done from a 'frugal' install.

2) Install anything, Barry, anything from PPM (you did not do this, Geany is included in Easy, is it not??) or something from source or from wherever.

3) Then go through the process of setting up a Container for what you installed, and it appears everything is fine.

4) But it is NOT fine----anything that comes from/installed from PPM, or source (which a person built with devx) or ubuntu/xenial or wherever---if it is from OUTSIDE what you originally included in the ISO---it will not run in the Container Easy set up for it. Heck yes Geany will run....it is originally included in Easy, is it not (I'm typing this from another desk in the house, don't have access to my Easy stuff at the moment)?

Please do the test with the parameters I listed above, and from a 'frugal' install you will find running anything in a Container (that Easy set up for it), any program that you've installed from PPM, or form wherever, will not work. It will not even launch, not even from terminal. Sure, all these things you've installed, they all will work & run as plain root, but none of them will run and/or launch in the Container Easy created for them (when you set them up using the menu "Easy Container Management/Setup" item).

{UPDATE: I have company right now, so I just ran downstairs to my office to look, and sure enough, Geany is already included in Easy. So, invalid test, Barry. I think perhaps it's time to 'nix' the running of Easy as 'frugal'. Why? Because when I full install Easy to a USB, no matter what programs I additionally install/ load into Easy, and have Easy setup Containers for them, they all work great from their Container. But the reverse is not true---something is not working from a 'frugal' install. Thus I am going back to using Easy only as a 'full' install since I want to run Firefox and other things in Container, all programs that are not included in the original Easy ISO}

ETP or anybody else, can you please help me here, and test this what I am seeing (in multiple 'frugal' Easy installs, and help me get through to Barry? I am exasperated and I now do not know how else to explain it to him since I've tried in multiple posts now. Thank you in advance
Keef

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct 2017, 07:14    Post subject:  

belham2

No, you are not completely doo-lally.
I get the same results when trying to get containers for downloaded apps. Tried Firefox and Mypaint.

Code:
# ec-chroot firefox
/ec-run: line 9: firefox: command not found
Container firefox stopped

# ec-chroot mypaint
/ec-run: line 9: mypaint: command not found
Container mypaint stopped

Both run when launched normally.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct 2017, 07:17    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:

I must be doing something terribly wrong Embarassed . I can't get anything to launch, created with Easy Container Management, in any of my 'frugal' installs of Easy 0.4.

Repeating, it makes no difference whether running from usb-stick or installed "frugally" on an internal drive. They are both "frugal".

HOWEVER, there is one difference between running from a USB-stick and the "frugal" install -- the latter has boot-partition and working-partition the same -- which should not make any difference to running behaviour.

I have understood your problem.

Easy Containers works by creating a layered filesystem, with q.sfs on the bottom, and a rw layer on top (which is a folder).

Therefore, only apps in q.sfs will work.

That is why geany works, and firefox doesn't.

I have modified the 'easy-containers' script so that it will only offer apps that are in q.sfs, so, users of the GUI will not hit that problem.

Easy Containers is very much pre-alpha, and there are going to be many gotchas like this.

Thanks for the testing, I have removed at least one of them.

The only way to get firefox running in a container will be to install it while running in a container. Which could be done by launching the 'sh0' container, then install firefox from the commandline.

...which is currently not a simple process.

The better solution will be that I modify PPM to optionally install into a container.

Or, just not allow downloaded apps to be run in a container. Which will be the simplest solution.

EDIT
Or, remaster q.sfs
For that, you will need the bug-fixed remaster script, coming in 0.5.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct 2017, 18:56    Post subject:  

Version 0.5, still pre-alpha, is out, for anyone who is interested:

http://bkhome.org/news/201710/easy-os-version-05-released.html

The upgrade mechanism, that is described in one of the how-easy-works pages, is not yet properly implementable.
So 0.5 has to be treated as a new install.

Some little outstanding issues:

An active ethernet with internet connection, is still not detected automatically at first bootup. SNS has to be run -- though now, reconnect after a reboot should be fixed.

A very minor thing -- at very first startup of SeaMonkey, there is supposed to be a "please wait" popup. That has gone awol.

Text editor geany starts with the sidebar showing. This is not really an issue, except my preference is for it not to show.

don570

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct 2017, 19:43    Post subject:  

version 0.4

When I booted up from my USB flash drive
I noticed spelling error on screen while booting.

I see an option to check files ---> filsystem check

should be 'filesystem check'

Also , when I went to your site http://barryk.org/news/
and clicked for Easy linux news

http://easyos.info/news/ --> I got a 'Not found' error

However the following does work -->http://bkhome.org/news/all_posts.html

I am using windows 7 - firefox browser.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct 2017, 19:51    Post subject:  

Here is a fast paint program that is compatible with the wacom graphic tablet.
I compiled it in Xerus 8.2 64 bit, however it works in easy linux because
of similar libraries.

azpainter-64bit-2.1.1.pet
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7JZA8XWblrScXN5X3JwcWlJV00
Size 584kb
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:43    Post subject:  

Easy-0.5 on my desktop with nvidia graphics boots and the desktop appears for a short time but then the signal to the monitor is cut and the monitor goes completely dead!

A message about no text version of xorgwizard being available flashes up briefly during the boot sequence....I think....

I also notice that the Easy folder is not being distributed from ibiblio to the mirror sites - e,g, its not on nluug.

Sage

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:11    Post subject: Easy-0.5  

PM sent for PB.
don570

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 13:58    Post subject: Easy Linux 0.5 review  

I installed Easy Linux 0.5 on a 32 GB USB thumb drive using dd command.
Everything went well. First bootup took several minutes because the partition was resized to 32 GB.
Subsequent boots take about a minute.

First thing I noticed was the audio level was zero. I set the audio level higher with retrovol and checked by playing a video file.
Next I set samba and cron services to startup automatically.
This works properly.
I checked pclock and pschedule and azpainter. They work and their settings
are preserved after a reboot.

Next I checked if I could move a Rox Filer window by selecting 'Move'
with a right click of my mouse on top bar. However it caused xorg to crash (Same behavior as version 0.3) I must type 'xwin' in console to
return to desktop.

But as an experiment I tried doing the same action with my Wacom bamboo tablet stylus (Simulating a right click with the barrel switch)

And to my surprise I could select 'Move' and move the window.
And even more surprising I can now use my wired mouse without
causing a crash!! Even after a reboot my mouse won't cause a crash.

I can only speculate that a file in the rules.d folder is now in control of my mouse
rather than the original driver that is used upon original bootup????

The negative observations:

1) Audio level is initially zero and possibly muted at first bootup.

2) Simple Samba Management is initially setup to have /file as the share folder. I have to reset this to /root

3) Gadmin Samba program is initially setup to have /home as the share folder. This folder doesn't exist.

4) When I first launch Simple SAMBA management I get a warning that
there has been a change of the smb.conf file even though this is the first launch.
This is confusing.

5)To reuse my samba server after a reboot I find that I have to create a samba user again. I type in terminal
Code:
smbpasswd -a root

Shouldn't my samba users file persist??

Last edited by don570 on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 15:19; edited 1 time in total
ETP

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 14:52    Post subject: Easy Linux 0.5 pre-alpha, released Oct. 02, 2017
Subject description: Initial test

Hi Barry,

Thanks for 0.5 which seems to have resolved the bulk of the reported issues.
Install of the image this time, was to a 16GB USB3 stick using 7-Zip and Win32diskimager in Win10.
Initial boot was to desktop on an i5 with Nvidia card. Sound worked but SNS had to be accessed
to setup DHCP. The ethernet connection has since survived reboots.

A possible issue for NVIDIA/nouveau users was the lack of Direct Rendering - i.e. hardware acceleration.
That was also evident in Chrome which I subsequently installed and was resolved using PKGget Package Manager
to install the MESA VDPAU acceleration drivers:

/root/.packages/user-installed-packages
    startup_sound-mk3|Provides Startup sound(s) plus Internet connection alarm
    Thunderbird64_release_channel-52.1.1|Thunderbird mail reader
    GetLatest64bitChromeVersion-MK9|Get Latest Chrome Version
    flashplayer-27.0.0.130-x86_64|Adobe Flash Player browser plugin and Preferences
    google-chrome-stable_current_amd64|Access the Internet

libguess1_1.2-1.1|high-speed character set detection library
    librubberband2v5_1.8.1|audio time-stretching and pitch-shifting library
    libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.4+dfsg1|Simple DirectMedia Layer
    libsndio6.1_1.1.0-2|Small audio and MIDI framework from OpenBSD runtime libraries
    mpv_0.14.0|video player based on MPlayer/mplayer2

libllvm4.0_4.0|Modular compiler and toolchain technologies runtime library
    mesa-vdpau-drivers_17.0.7|Mesa VDPAU video acceleration drivers

ListDD-2.0|List dynamic dependencies
    JWM_themes_update-2.0|JWM themes - support jwm >= 2.3.0
    jwm_gnome_buttons|Gnome pixmap buttons for JWM titlebar

Additional fonts were also installed together with a desktop icon for defaultemail.
Your SFS downloader is a nice touch providing easy access to the devx & kernel_scr(s).

The initial ethernet link detection problem seems to have cropped up across numerous distros
with the later Linux kernels. Here is one such post:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/373852/network-does-not-start-automatically-upon-boot-anymore-link-is-not-ready

Finally the obligatory screenie. Press F11 to toggle into fullscreen then click on link:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B_iVVJCd9q09ck5NWWZiMU1mQVU
Hardinfo.png
 Description   
 Filesize   39.77 KB
 Viewed   1244 Time(s)

Hardinfo.png

Kennels
scsijon

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 18:25    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Version 0.5, still pre-alpha, is out, for anyone who is interested:

Some little outstanding issues:
Text editor geany starts with the sidebar showing. This is not really an issue, except my preference is for it not to show.

If your using geany built from the latest geany source (1.31), I (and others) found that the sidebar is set on inside the source package itself so it builds that way, but i'm yet to find a 'switch' to turn it off that works permanently when building. There's also the problem of not having line wrapping on, and one or two other little config problems since version 1.24.1 they are dealing with.
You might also consider adding the geany-plugins package https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins/releases, not big and well worth the addition for the extra functions. (For others, make sure you match your geany version else strange things may happen).
Other plugins are listed at http://plugins.geany.org/ for anyone wanting a specific function, there's a lot of them available.

regards to all
scsijon
2n3638

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 18:51    Post subject: Easy  

I installed Easy 0.5 with no problem on a Vostro 200 Pentium D machine.
Everything worked including YouTube videos and audio via external
USB DAC.

On my Asus EH200 it booted, but was intermittent and clunky on YouTube.
It also did not reboot, but hung on the attempt.
Page 15 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: