Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Feb 2020, 22:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS version 2.2.11, February 21, 2020
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 150 of 156 [2326 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan 2020, 05:49    Post subject: Re: Where is DevX 2.2.5?  

rwishlaw wrote:
Where is DevX 2.2.5?

Sorry, forgot it. Uploading it now.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan 2020, 05:57    Post subject:  

scsijon wrote:
-Getting an error message when using petget relating to petget line 386 - error was :no such process;

Thanks for reporting that, fixed. It was only a warning msg, so I sent it to /dev/null

Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan 2020, 07:34    Post subject: EasyOS Buster 2.2.5, January 22, 2020  

Installed to a 32gb sdhc card plugged into a usb card reader, pc is a Compaq
Presario:

Computer
Processor 2x Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Memory 4037MB (375MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Easy Buster64

Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer NVC1
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

OpenGL
Vendor nouveau
Renderer NVC1
Version 4.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.6
Direct Rendering Y_es

Sound is from a pair of speakers plugged into the headphone jack.

No problems so far,
Thanks.
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   65.32 KB
 Viewed   813 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

ndujoe1

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan 2020, 09:06    Post subject:  

Upgraded to 2.2.5. Easy, painless, and quick. Once the manual steps have been melded into an complete GUI. it will identify this OS by its moniker: Easy OS for new users.
Sage

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan 2020, 09:53    Post subject:  

Quote:
Sound works from a pair of speakers plugged into the headphone jack.
Smart move bt ! After all we don't want a Sonos fiasco around here.
lp-dolittle

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan 2020, 06:03    Post subject: drive icons; applet tray
Subject description: effects of hardware profiling for Xorg

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

as far as I can see, the EasyOS-2.2.5 desktop behaves like its predecessor. The active Ethernet applet symbol still is displayed as crossed, and inserting/removing the same USB flash sticks on the same laptop which I had used for previous tests results in the same somewhat confusing behaviour of gparted 1.0.0.

Especially USB2 sticks containing an iso-image do not appear spontaneously on the screen after insertion, yet they do so after restarting the Xserver. Then their partitions can be mounted via mouse clicks and the correct content is shown, while gparted 1.0.0. only reports an iso9660 filesystem which it considers 'not-mounted'. See also my post from January 12th on page 146of this thread.

Was I wrong to expect that the 'Improved hardware profiling for Xorg' might eliminate some of these issues?

kind regards
Billtoo

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan 2020, 13:26    Post subject: EasyOS Buster 2.2.5, January 22, 2020  

Installed to a usb 3.0 ssd to use with HP mini desktop pc:

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHz
Memory 1892MB (274MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Easy Buster64
Date/Time Fri Jan 24 11:53:08 2020

Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

Works great.
Thanks.

Edit:

I used this install for hours with no problems until I booted with the option
disable the drives, it locked up after running firefox for a few minutes.

I moved it to my Acer laptop (6gb ram) and when running with the same disable
drives option it worked without any problems.
Screenshot2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   121.07 KB
 Viewed   449 Time(s)

Screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   48.8 KB
 Viewed   599 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan 2020, 23:11    Post subject: Re: drive icons; applet tray
Subject description: effects of hardware profiling for Xorg

lp-dolittle wrote:
Especially USB2 sticks containing an iso-image do not appear spontaneously on the screen after insertion, yet they do so after restarting the Xserver. Then their partitions can be mounted via mouse clicks and the correct content is shown, while gparted 1.0.0. only reports an iso9660 filesystem which it considers 'not-mounted'. See also my post from January 12th on page 146of this thread.

Was I wrong to expect that the 'Improved hardware profiling for Xorg' might eliminate some of these issues?

No, hardware-profiling would not affect those issues. That is only for handling changed video and sound hardware.

I have tested plugging in a usb-stick with hybrid-iso in it, and both partitions appear immediately, and can be mounted.

I am running the 4.19.97 kernel right now, so trying on my laptop running easy Buster 2.2.3 with 5.4.10 kernel... yep both partition appear immediately, and can be mounted.

Regarding Gparted, well that is out of my hands. It is an issue for the Gparted developer. But it may be deliberate, as the small vfat partition in the hybrid-iso is not really available for Gparted to do anything with. It is built-in when the iso was created, inside the iso, and Gparted cannot do anything with it, so ignores it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan 2020, 23:18    Post subject: Re: EasyOS Buster 2.2.5, January 22, 2020  

Billtoo wrote:

I used this install for hours with no problems until I booted with the option disable the drives, it locked up after running firefox for a few minutes.

Thanks for the report.

With that installation, is the lockup repeatable? With the 5.4.x kernel, I was getting seemingly random lockups, not with the disable-drives bootup, just the normal bootup.

Note, I have been running with the simplified 4.19.97 kernel, rock-solid for 4 days now:

https://bkhome.org/news/202001/simplified-41997-kernel-running-nicely.html

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan 2020, 23:26    Post subject:  

Project "EasyPup", it was an amusing diversion:

https://bkhome.org/news/202001/easypup-a-blast-from-the-past.html

Billtoo

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2020, 00:42    Post subject: Re: EasyOS Buster 2.2.5, January 22, 2020  

BarryK wrote:
Billtoo wrote:

I used this install for hours with no problems until I booted with the option disable the drives, it locked up after running firefox for a few minutes.

Thanks for the report.

With that installation, is the lockup repeatable? With the 5.4.x kernel, I was getting seemingly random lockups, not with the disable-drives bootup, just the normal bootup.

Note, I have been running with the simplified 4.19.97 kernel, rock-solid for 4 days now:

https://bkhome.org/news/202001/simplified-41997-kernel-running-nicely.html

When firefox seemed to lockup on the 2gb hp I pressed the power button for a couple of seconds and it didn't power off but there was a message from firefox asking if I wanted to refresh the tab, did that but it ran poorly (stop and start) so eventually had to do a hard reset.
Hovering the mouse over the storage icon in the tray show something like 2.5gb free of 2.8gb with the drives disabled.
The laptop with 6gb ram worked perfectly (showed around 7.5 of 7.8 when) using the disabled drives option.

I've since done a new install to the SSD and am using it on another computer.
When I booted the new install it wouldn't boot but gave a message about a problem with the file system,the computer still had my original 2.2.5 install on a flash drive plugged in.
I shut down the computer and it dawned on me to unplug the flash drive, it then booted the SSD normally.

Thanks.
ozsouth

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2020, 01:14    Post subject:  

@BarryK - I have been using a 5.4.7 64bit kernel as my base for 2 weeks with no issues. Had trouble with kernels prior & also 5.4.10 - 14. 5.4.7 contained a lot of fixes, & 5.4.9 had significant changes & was superseded on its release day. I'm currently trialling 5.4.8 (ok for several hours - will see what a couple of days brings).
EDIT: 5.4.8 satisfactory, so uploaded.

Last edited by ozsouth on Tue 28 Jan 2020, 20:49; edited 1 time in total
bobtron

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2020, 07:17    Post subject: EasyOS 2.2.x
Subject description: has anyone got Brave(.com) browser working?

Greetings...G'day from Illinois land...am currently running EOS 2.2.3 and it works very well {no BT devices}...but will upgrade soon when i get some BT stuff to setup/test.
pardon me to de-rail this thread, but has anyone got the Brave Browser {www.brave.com} to play in EOS?...it is chromium based with very effective ad-blocking and tracking blockers...go to to their "download for linux" and it is CLI from terminal to use "sudo apt" (ubuntu instructions)...works well with my currently running MX19 linux on USB stick...very fast and no BS ads.. check it out.
I am interested in getting a Brave browser .sfs because my work colleague has it running on windows and his android phone...he would be very interested to try EOS linux because he is very into crypto currency trading{bitcoin...etherium..etc...i dunno}
He wants to boot into RAM and run Brave browser in a container
to do his business...any help out there?...TNX in advance
lp-dolittle

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2020, 08:55    Post subject: usb-sticks
Subject description: interfaces

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

supposing that all your tests with usb-sticks containig hybrid iso-images were usb3-sticks, I conclude that the spontaneous access to these drives mainly depends on the stick's quality and on the pc/laptop interface's specifications.

As for Gparted, a question remains. I'm still astonished that Gparted 0.25.0 is able to handle hybrid iso-images correctly (showing the partition details), while newer versions 'lost' this capability.

kind regards
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2020, 22:03    Post subject: Re: usb-sticks
Subject description: interfaces

lp-dolittle wrote:
@ Barry

Hi Barry,

supposing that all your tests with usb-sticks containig hybrid iso-images were usb3-sticks, I conclude that the spontaneous access to these drives mainly depends on the stick's quality and on the pc/laptop interface's specifications.

As for Gparted, a question remains. I'm still astonished that Gparted 0.25.0 is able to handle hybrid iso-images correctly (showing the partition details), while newer versions 'lost' this capability.

kind regards

The hybrid-iso was on an old 4GB Toshiba usb2 stick. Plugging it into a usb2 or a usb3 socket, same result, works.

The laptop is a Apollo Lake CPU, 4GB RAM, passively cooled. just a cheapy.

Something very strange is happening in your case. It seems like the usb interface is not being properly recognised by the kernel, that is, a hardware incompatibility.

Yeah, it is odd that the old Gparted shows the correct partition details.
My guess is that the developer of gparted has done this deliberately though, with the later versions.

Page 150 of 156 [2326 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: