Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 06 Apr 2020, 14:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS version 2.2.16, April 6, 2020
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 156 of 162 [2416 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 Next
Terry H

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb 2020, 21:54    Post subject:  

Thought I'd write to show my appreciation for having Network Manager included in EasyOS / EasyPup.

My wife and I are currently staying at my Parents-in-law to care for them with some health issues, they're 90 (in 2 weeks) and 88. They have limited bandwidth on their wifi network, so I have also been tethering my Mobile Phone to the laptop. Network Manager is easily the best network connection utility I have used. Seamlessly able to switch networks with just one or 2 clicks, without issue every time. Outstanding!

Thanks Barry.
linux28

PostPosted: Fri 28 Feb 2020, 21:47    Post subject:  

EasyOS Is there any wine running
Using other versions of wine, some software errors, prompts

libpng12.so.0 libgnutls
These two packages are installed, and error messages continue to appear.
Is there a wine for EasyOS?
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 29 Feb 2020, 07:25    Post subject:  

linux28 wrote:
EasyOS Is there any wine running
Using other versions of wine, some software errors, prompts

libpng12.so.0 libgnutls
These two packages are installed, and error messages continue to appear.
Is there a wine for EasyOS?

Have you tried the official wine DEB packages for Buster?

Run the PPM, search for "wine".

I notice in the dependencies, it lists 'libgstreamer-plugins-base' twice, in the 'debian-buster-main' repo and in the 'debian-buster-multimedia' repo -- you can untick the latter.

I think though, that will only be 64-bit wine.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 29 Feb 2020, 07:30    Post subject:  

Terry H wrote:
Thought I'd write to show my appreciation for having Network Manager included in EasyOS / EasyPup.

My wife and I are currently staying at my Parents-in-law to care for them with some health issues, they're 90 (in 2 weeks) and 88. They have limited bandwidth on their wifi network, so I have also been tethering my Mobile Phone to the laptop. Network Manager is easily the best network connection utility I have used. Seamlessly able to switch networks with just one or 2 clicks, without issue every time. Outstanding!

Thanks Barry.

Yes, it does everything I want also. Have never had to go back to the old SNS etc.

The only issue I had was with wifi on my laptop, Acer Aspire1, Apollo lake SoC. Sometimes when I turned on my phones hotspot, NetworkManager did not respond and auto-connect, but would do so after several minutes.

However, that problem has gone away, as mysteriously as it appeared. I think, after a kernel version upgrade, it went away.

rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 29 Feb 2020, 12:44    Post subject: Snap2 internationalization fix?  

BarryK on February 27, 2020 in his blog wrote:
Lutz (L18L in the forum) has been running into problems with a German translation of Snap2. He cannot get it to work. It seems that although Snap2 was gettexted, it hasn't actually been tested.

In case L18L wants to continue translation of snap2, I have edited two of its scripts to substitute eval_gettext for instances where a gettext string contains a variable.

I posted an experimental pet package in the "New files 'gettextized' for everyone 2015" thread, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1051473#1051473

If anyone tries it, please give me feedback so that I might correct and eventually formalize the .pet.
Richard
scsijon

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2020, 15:28    Post subject: sdb2 size?  

Just a thought?

With the larger sizes memory sticks have now, plus the cost drops for external ssd's so you can afford a larger size for your money, plus the sizes off hard drives growing, is it really necessary to resize the working-partition to the full size of the drive? Maybe pick a maximum to expand it too if it's above a certain value and leave the rest for the user to deal with via gparted?
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2020, 21:28    Post subject: Re: Snap2 internationalization fix?  

rerwin wrote:
BarryK on February 27, 2020 in his blog wrote:
Lutz (L18L in the forum) has been running into problems with a German translation of Snap2. He cannot get it to work. It seems that although Snap2 was gettexted, it hasn't actually been tested.

In case L18L wants to continue translation of snap2, I have edited two of its scripts to substitute eval_gettext for instances where a gettext string contains a variable.

I posted an experimental pet package in the "New files 'gettextized' for everyone 2015" thread, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1051473#1051473

If anyone tries it, please give me feedback so that I might correct and eventually formalize the .pet.
Richard

Richard,
Thanks for that. I am just about to build EasyOS 2.2.12, without snap2, but I hope people get involved in your work and get the PET properly internationalized, then I will bring it back.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2020, 06:22    Post subject:  

EasyOS version 2.2.12 is out:

https://bkhome.org/news/202003/easyos-version-2212-released.html

Perhaps I should ease off, testers will get worn out.

Will be taking a break soon, another camping trip coming up!

Caneri

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2020, 07:00    Post subject:  

I suspect the testers can't wait for the new stuff. I know I'm enjoying getting back into it.

Easy.11 is very good. I've got Easy.12 and look forward to a peak.

Best,
Eric

To Add: Just a few minutes later.
easydd is brilliant. Thanks for this as it took approx 5 minutes to download Easy.12 and a few minutes to load to USB stick using easydd. Now the fun. TY

Edit:

My usb stick failed on boot saying "no bootable device". Bios doesn't like this stick. Now I'm quite sure it's not EasyOS but a wonky usb stick and will remove the stick from rotation.

lp-dolittle

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2020, 10:55    Post subject: usb-sticks
Subject description: quality; unclean shutdown; ext4

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

thank you for paying attention to the quality of usb-sticks and for further optimising the use of external storage media!

What about the following questions?:

Do all your comments and remarks on usb-sticks also apply to sd-cards?

What are the first symptoms which indicate that an ssd-drive's quality is worsening or definitely corrupted?

Does easydd correct errors or simply circumvent them?

kind regards
linux28

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2020, 11:23    Post subject:  

Isn't the 5.6 kernel a long-term support kernel like 5.4?
Terry H

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2020, 11:44    Post subject:  

linux28 wrote:

At present it hasn't been announced on kernel.org that 5.6 will be long term support. It would be very unlikely that LTS releases were so close, so I would think it won't be LTS.
scsijon

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2020, 17:10    Post subject:  

Terry H wrote:
linux28 wrote:

At present it hasn't been announced on kernel.org that 5.6 will be long term support. It would be very unlikely that LTS releases were so close, so I would think it won't be LTS.

Yeah, 5.6 is stilll a release-candidate anyway, so there is not even a general release version out there yet. I'm not expecting the next LTS for at least 5 subs (5.9.x).

5.4.23 was put out in a hurry for a CVE notice ( KVM-SECURITY-CVE) as was 5.5.7, so it 'just had to go in', I suspect it will take another release to fix all the broken things this time. Trying to build it breaks my T2 udev test system anyway so I haven't even tried to install it on a test box.

I am considering using 5.4.22 though as it's got some usb and hdmi sound fixes I want to try out, and a few other goodies in it and seems to build and test ok.

And I can test barryk's quick update method as I only installed 2.2.11 yesterday and don't want to play with the box as there is a lot of other stuff I moved off and back on it.
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar 2020, 06:21    Post subject:  

2.2.12: all seems to be working just fine, thanks.
plinej

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar 2020, 18:32    Post subject:  

First time trying Easy and it boots up fairly quick off the usb stick. I'm assuming everything gets saved to the USB stick so no pup_save file. I tried to install packages and the package manager says it installed but no menu update and the installed applications don't seem to be in my PATH to run. I will have to try again soon because I would like to use this as my daily OS since BionicPup crashes on me a couple of times a week for some reason and I don't really want to install Ubuntu or Debian...
Page 156 of 162 [2416 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: