EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ras

#2536 Post by ras »

Regarding my blog post about booting Win10 off a usb-stick, and not working because it a udf filesystem in the iso:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/how-to-b ... stick.html
Very useful post for those that have to use W10 on occasion. Using linux to fix windows is of course, the right way to do it!

Now that you have a fresh install of W10, is there an easy way, (with linux, of course) to make an iso image of that install to keep handy on a usb stick? So that one does not have to go thru so much effort in the future?
Or better still, how to back up a factory new W10 install with linux on a usb stick so that one does not have to depend on the recovery partition or redownload etc.
It would make your mini tutorial complete.
RAS

Good Direct

#2537 Post by Good Direct »

Hi All!

Please help me! How can I install wine and which version fits easy OS 2.3.1.

I tried old pet packs that I used on other Puppy, but they didn’t work.

Thanks

mikeslr

#2538 Post by mikeslr »

I'd be surprised if none of the new versions you'll find on this thread wouldn't work. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 128#725128.

But first: Is EasyOS a 64-bit system? If so, to run any 32-bit wine you first have to load/install a 32-bit compatibility sfs/pet. Does EasyOS have one? Then, after installing/loading you have to open a terminal and type --without the quotes-- "ldconfig". The first letter is a small "L". After doing that it will take a while for a 32-bit environment to be created. It is almost as large as a Puppy. If your terminal prompt appears instantly, something went wrong. Type the command again. And a reboot may be needed after it takes.

I don't have an EasyOS; never set one up. So I can't test. But if I'm not mistaken EasyOS functions more like a Full install than a Frugal. If that's the case, trying things randomly can pose the problem of how to undo them. So, let me suggest the Portable Wine version 3.3_v2.1 which you can download from here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 245#989245. It downloads as a tar.gz which you unpack (UExtract if EasyOs has it). Move the extracted folder where ever may be convenient: /mnt/home is recommended. Rename the extracted folder just "wine-portable" without trailing version number: that makes it easier to create individual menu entries if your want to. When installed, it will create several menu entries. The one named Wine Windows Program Loader presents a GUI for all the Windows applications you install; i.e. not Windows portables which don't install to C:. Windows programs --such as Wine Config-- show up on the Utilities Menu.
Under most Puppies, if you Right-Click the Wine-portable folder there'll be a "Register" listing on the Popup Menu. Under others, you enter the folder and Left-Click the script named "Register". What that does is install several bash-scripts, some icons and the Menu entries: that rather than the 100s of files of a 'regular' wine. Wine-portable is actually an external rox-app. So while it installs like a pet (PPM Uninstall to remove it) it is powered by a Self-Contained SFS. If it doesn't work, uninstalling provides little chance of braking anything.

Remember, with either wine or wine-portable, before you can do anything else you have to configure it. Under wine the terminal command is wine "wine winecfg". Under Wine-portable the command is "wine.sh winecfg". I'm pretty sure that under Wine-portable trying to start your first windows program will trigger winecfg. But starting with the command can't hurt. Or use its Menu entry.

Last suggestion: you should have an internet connection functioning when you start: wine/wine-portable will want to download mono and gecko.

L18L

old wine from puppy

#2539 Post by L18L »

Good Direct wrote:Hi All!

Please help me! How can I install wine and which version fits easy OS 2.3.1.

I tried old pet packs that I used on other Puppy, but they didn’t work.

Thanks
Suggest to install wine from petget in your easy0s. :wink:

Good Direct

wine

#2540 Post by Good Direct »

:) thanks L18L
I started with petget, but there are only playonlinux and winetricks packages in the package manager. Of course, I updated the database in the first round. Only then did I use the old files.
In the meantime, I went through what mikeslr wrote and couldn't find a 32/64 bit compatible file.
If I understand correctly, is it possible to install wine in the built-in container (racy, buster, xenial) in easyOS?
Thanks for the comments :)

mikeslr

Re: wine

#2541 Post by mikeslr »

Good Direct wrote::) thanks L18L
I started with petget, but there are only playonlinux and winetricks packages in the package manager...
Did you try playonlinux? My recollection is that it is a robust wine management system. Once installed, playonlinux will, itself, both provide the 32-bit compatibility layer AND download wine versions. But, that could be a false memory; or one derived from Linux Mint.

Winetricks is actually a Linux application mostly for installing 'goodies' into the alien-to-Linux Wine-file-structure.

L18L

Re: wine

#2542 Post by L18L »

Good Direct wrote::) thanks L18L
I started with petget, but there are only playonlinux and winetricks packages in the package manager. Of course, I updated the database in the first round. Only then did I use the old files.
In the meantime, I went through what mikeslr wrote and couldn't find a 32/64 bit compatible file.
If I understand correctly, is it possible to install wine in the built-in container (racy, buster, xenial) in easyOS?
Thanks for the comments :)
let petget search in all repositories
select wine64 for install (and dependancies)

good luck

edit: hope you made some progress. Sorry that I cannot help more with wine, just 1 hint: executable file is under /usr/lib/wine/...
Last edited by L18L on Sat 20 Jun 2020, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

doc easy welcome

#2543 Post by L18L »

Some changes in /usr/share/doc/easy/welcome.sh enable some translations in TEXTDOMAIN easyhelp ...
Attachments
translatable.png
(54.14 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
welcome.sh.gz
remove fake .gz
(11.44 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

Rodney Byne

Missing pmcputemp.pet

#2544 Post by Rodney Byne »

To Barry,
Following your blog, in EasyOS, I tried downloading pmcputemp.pet to
first "Personal" and then "Downloads" and after two days of searching
the Home and many other directories, I can't find either of the two pets.
Can you help by telling me where they are please.
Also there is no led on that particular Cruzer Blade stick.
I am limited to buying whatever is locally available.

By comparison, finding and installing pmcputemp.pet in
EasyPup 2.3.1 was a complete success.
The tiny led stopped flashing after bootup and didn't do any writes
at all thereafter, so that stick should last a bit longer.
Thanks.

lp-dolittle

pmcputemp.pet

#2545 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Rodney Byne

Hi Rodney,

did you try to find the 'missed' pet via pFind in the Filesystem-Menu?

This might be quite an easy way to spot it.

kind regards

EDIT:

Running EasyOS 2.3.1, I just tried to download and install the pmpcutemp-1.1-buster64.pet and was able to do so without any problems. The pet was saved to /home/downloads

hope this information is useful to you

regards
Last edited by lp-dolittle on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

lp-dolittle

pmpcutemp

#2546 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry,

Hi Barry,

Thank you for paying attention to 'latent' writes on drives during a computer's 'inactivity' which might reduce the durability of flash-sticks.

How necessary is pmcputemp? Does it simply display the cpu-temperature or also regulate the fan-speed?

If I recall a previous (quite long ago) post of Sage correctly, the information about the cpu-temperature in the applet-try is imprecise and possibly misleading.

So, what about getting rid of pmpcutemp or offering the option to do so for those who can do without it and prefer an increased durability of their flash-sticks?

kind regards

Rodney Byne

solved

#2547 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hi to lp-dolittle.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, pFind was useful, because it also couldn't
initially find the missing pet.

However, for me at least the answer was NOT
to use a browser inside a container.

Using WWW from the top row of icons gave a
faultless download to /home/personal which is
where I wanted to store it.

When I again used pFind, the screen was filled with
locations from the original and the .pet sources,
so all is now well.
Best regards.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2548 Post by BarryK »

Another one is out!

Version 2.3.2 blog announcement:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/easyos-v ... eased.html
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

hcarrega

Kernel compile

#2549 Post by hcarrega »

I’m new to easyOS but I like the concept. My question is whether there will be an easy way to compile a newer kernel for example 5.7.4
Thanks

Sage

#2550 Post by Sage »

gremlins asked to 'submit' - twice! It happens sometimes.
Last edited by Sage on Mon 22 Jun 2020, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#2551 Post by Sage »

2.3.2 working well, thanks!

alfons

Quicktest EasyOS 2.3.2 -> DELL D630

#2552 Post by alfons »

Barry, thanks a lot!

UPGRADE
I have upgraded from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2 and all settings have been applied - very good!

BCRYPT
The program bcrypt (Menu -> Personal -> "Bcrypt file encryption") has not been working for a long time. I don't know if this is still useful in EasyOS

IOTOP
If I start iotop after startup and do not make any entries for half an hour, I get this result, i.e. there is practically no activity on the USB-stick and the LED does not blink. This is very good!
Attachments
bcrypt.png
(59.45 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
iotop.png
(107.66 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Terry H

#2553 Post by Terry H »

Running EasyOS 2.3 Didn't update to 2.3.1), I downloaded and manually updated the 3 entries( easy.sfs, initrd, vmlinuz) in the boot partition sdb1. I then clicked the initrd and updated successfully. On reboot it failed.

Code: Select all

Working drive speed test (lower the better): 92
mount: mounting /dev/sdb2 on mount /mnt/sdb2 failed invalid argument
ERROR: Unable to mount working partition sdb2...
On the first attempt typed "exit", which then continued to then say could not unmount sdb2, then kernel panic.

I then used easypup to run a fsck against the easyOS working partition, which corrected errors. rebooted and attempted to boot easyOS, but failed again as above.

Back in EasyPup I re-did the upgrade of the easyOS boot partition and clicked the initrd to update the boot specs.

Reboot to easyOS, still get same error. I have done this upgrade many times previously, without issue. No idea why this upgrade failed. I am able to access the partition from other installs.

How can I upgrade my USB install, preferably without loosing the earlier installs of easyOS?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

scsijon

#2554 Post by scsijon »

I'm not sure how it's happened, but with 2.3.2 I can no longer:>

1- install by dd to a clean memory stick;
2- reboot and allow sdb2 to grow to competely fill the drive;
3- reboot on another easy, then plug in the 2.3.2 memory stick as (so it's not mounted) sdb and using gparted, shrink sdb2 to allow the addition of a third partition on sdb.

I can however add the extra partition before allowing sdb2 to grow (2 above) and it all works correctly.

As I use the extra partition for development work and backups depending on what it's being used for, it is a serious setback from my point of view.

It would also be nice to be able to limit the size of sdb2's initial growth, especially with TB portable ssd's, micro SD and USB memory sticks already out there at up to 2TB and larger ones promised by the end of this year.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2555 Post by BarryK »

OscarTalks wrote:
doggone wrote:I tried Peasydisk Version 5.1 and received same results as above.
Added genisoimage with petget and peasydisk works fine.
Please examine this further.
I was wondering about suggesting a symlink but then I took a glance in my DpupStretch and I see that it has this little script as /usr/bin/genisoimage

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# Authors: Brandon Snider.
# This script redirects genisoimage commands to mkisofs. In case of --version being passed, the script returns a specific string to
# satisfy Brasero. In case of the old options -L, -H, and -P, the script adds -legacy to the args to properly instruct mkisofs.

legacy="no" # Create variable with default status of "no"

for i in "$@" # Iterate over all of the command line options looking for the old ones.
do
    if [ "$i" = "-L" -o "$i" = "-H" -o "$i" = "-P" ] ; then
       legacy="yes" # Set the legacy variable to "yes" if one of the variables is found.
    elif [ "$i" = "--version" ] ; then
       legacy="version" # Set the variable to "legacy" to return the string expected by Brasero
    fi
done

if [ $legacy = "yes" ] ; then
    /usr/bin/mkisofs -legacy "$@"  # Pass -legacy option. 
elif [ $legacy = "no" ] ; then
    /usr/bin/mkisofs "$@" # In all other situations, pass all options to mkisofs.
elif  [ $legacy = "version" ] ; then
    echo "genisoimage 1.1.11" # Pass the version info expected by any app querying Genisoimage.
fi
This might be better than installing cdrkit in addition to the already included cdrtools or even Debian's genisoimage Buster package (Debian have split up cdrkit into separate packages as they often do).
Thanks for that, the script, slightly modified, is in easy 2.3.2

Blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/missing- ... asyos.html
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]