Sage

#2551 Post by Sage »

2.3.2 working well, thanks!

alfons

Quicktest EasyOS 2.3.2 -> DELL D630

#2552 Post by alfons »

Barry, thanks a lot!

UPGRADE
I have upgraded from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2 and all settings have been applied - very good!

BCRYPT
The program bcrypt (Menu -> Personal -> "Bcrypt file encryption") has not been working for a long time. I don't know if this is still useful in EasyOS

IOTOP
If I start iotop after startup and do not make any entries for half an hour, I get this result, i.e. there is practically no activity on the USB-stick and the LED does not blink. This is very good!
Attachments
bcrypt.png
(59.45 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
iotop.png
(107.66 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Terry H

#2553 Post by Terry H »

Running EasyOS 2.3 Didn't update to 2.3.1), I downloaded and manually updated the 3 entries( easy.sfs, initrd, vmlinuz) in the boot partition sdb1. I then clicked the initrd and updated successfully. On reboot it failed.

Code: Select all

Working drive speed test (lower the better): 92
mount: mounting /dev/sdb2 on mount /mnt/sdb2 failed invalid argument
ERROR: Unable to mount working partition sdb2...
On the first attempt typed "exit", which then continued to then say could not unmount sdb2, then kernel panic.

I then used easypup to run a fsck against the easyOS working partition, which corrected errors. rebooted and attempted to boot easyOS, but failed again as above.

Back in EasyPup I re-did the upgrade of the easyOS boot partition and clicked the initrd to update the boot specs.

Reboot to easyOS, still get same error. I have done this upgrade many times previously, without issue. No idea why this upgrade failed. I am able to access the partition from other installs.

How can I upgrade my USB install, preferably without loosing the earlier installs of easyOS?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

scsijon

#2554 Post by scsijon »

I'm not sure how it's happened, but with 2.3.2 I can no longer:>

1- install by dd to a clean memory stick;
2- reboot and allow sdb2 to grow to competely fill the drive;
3- reboot on another easy, then plug in the 2.3.2 memory stick as (so it's not mounted) sdb and using gparted, shrink sdb2 to allow the addition of a third partition on sdb.

I can however add the extra partition before allowing sdb2 to grow (2 above) and it all works correctly.

As I use the extra partition for development work and backups depending on what it's being used for, it is a serious setback from my point of view.

It would also be nice to be able to limit the size of sdb2's initial growth, especially with TB portable ssd's, micro SD and USB memory sticks already out there at up to 2TB and larger ones promised by the end of this year.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2555 Post by BarryK »

OscarTalks wrote:
doggone wrote:I tried Peasydisk Version 5.1 and received same results as above.
Added genisoimage with petget and peasydisk works fine.
Please examine this further.
I was wondering about suggesting a symlink but then I took a glance in my DpupStretch and I see that it has this little script as /usr/bin/genisoimage

#!/bin/sh
# Authors: Brandon Snider.
# This script redirects genisoimage commands to mkisofs. In case of --version being passed, the script returns a specific string to
# satisfy Brasero. In case of the old options -L, -H, and -P, the script adds -legacy to the args to properly instruct mkisofs.

legacy="no" # Create variable with default status of "no"

for i in "$@" # Iterate over all of the command line options looking for the old ones.
do
    if [ "$i" = "-L" -o "$i" = "-H" -o "$i" = "-P" ] ; then
       legacy="yes" # Set the legacy variable to "yes" if one of the variables is found.
    elif [ "$i" = "--version" ] ; then
       legacy="version" # Set the variable to "legacy" to return the string expected by Brasero
    fi
done

if [ $legacy = "yes" ] ; then
    /usr/bin/mkisofs -legacy "$@"  # Pass -legacy option. 
elif [ $legacy = "no" ] ; then
    /usr/bin/mkisofs "$@" # In all other situations, pass all options to mkisofs.
elif  [ $legacy = "version" ] ; then
    echo "genisoimage 1.1.11" # Pass the version info expected by any app querying Genisoimage.
fi
This might be better than installing cdrkit in addition to the already included cdrtools or even Debian's genisoimage Buster package (Debian have split up cdrkit into separate packages as they often do).
Thanks for that, the script, slightly modified, is in easy 2.3.2

Blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/missing- ... asyos.html
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: doc easy welcome

#2556 Post by BarryK »

L18L wrote:Some changes in /usr/share/doc/easy/welcome.sh enable some translations in TEXTDOMAIN easyhelp ...
Brilliant, this is in easy 2.3.2.

Blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/translat ... -page.html

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Kernel compile

#2557 Post by BarryK »

hcarrega wrote:I’m new to easyOS but I like the concept. My question is whether there will be an easy way to compile a newer kernel for example 5.7.4
Thanks
Yes, you will need the "devx" SFS loaded, and get the scripts and patches here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/source/kernel/

folder 5.4.47 only has the latest config file, go back to folder 5.4.18 for the scripts and patches.

However, you will need to get an updated aufs patch for a later kernel.

Note, I am planning to compile 5.8.1 as soon as it is released, as very interested in the new features of procfs, for use in containers.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2558 Post by BarryK »

Terry H wrote:Running EasyOS 2.3 Didn't update to 2.3.1), I downloaded and manually updated the 3 entries( easy.sfs, initrd, vmlinuz) in the boot partition sdb1. I then clicked the initrd and updated successfully. On reboot it failed.

Working drive speed test (lower the better): 92
On the first attempt typed "exit", which then continued to then say could not unmount sdb2, then kernel panic.

I then used easypup to run a fsck against the easyOS working partition, which corrected errors. rebooted and attempted to boot easyOS, but failed again as above.

Back in EasyPup I re-did the upgrade of the easyOS boot partition and clicked the initrd to update the boot specs.

Reboot to easyOS, still get same error. I have done this upgrade many times previously, without issue. No idea why this upgrade failed. I am able to access the partition from other installs.

How can I upgrade my USB install, preferably without loosing the earlier installs of easyOS?

Thanks in advance.

Terry
OK, give me a bit of time to think what you can do to investigate this. pressed for time right now. probably this evening will take a look at it.

EDIT:
OK, I think maybe I know where the problem is. Run easypup again, and click on the 'initrd' for your easyos installation, to open it up.

Click on the 'init' script in the initrd, to edit it. At line 616 you will see this code:

if [ "${WKG_FS}" == "ext4" ];then #200621 change journal commit interval from 5 to 30...
  #rw,relatime,data=ordered are the defaults anyway...
  mount -t ${WKG_FS} -o commit=30,rw,relatime,data=ordered /dev/$WKG_DEV /mnt/$WKG_DEV
 else
  mount -t ${WKG_FS} /dev/${WKG_DEV} /mnt/${WKG_DEV}
 fi
 [ $? -ne 0 ] && err_exit "Unable to mount working-partition ${WKG_DEV}"
It seems that in your case, the -o options above, is causing the problem. I don't know why, it worked for me.

Anyway, just delete all of "-o commit=30,rw,relatime,data=ordered", save, exit, click on 'initrd' again to update it, then see if easyos boots.
Last edited by BarryK on Tue 23 Jun 2020, 05:44, edited 2 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: 2.3.2

#2559 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:I'm not sure how it's happened, but with 2.3.2 I can no longer:>

1- install by dd to a clean memory stick;
2- reboot and allow sdb2 to grow to competely fill the drive;
3- reboot on another easy, then plug in the 2.3.2 memory stick as (so it's not mounted) sdb and using gparted, shrink sdb2 to allow the addition of a third partition on sdb.

I can however add the extra partition before allowing sdb2 to grow (2 above) and it all works correctly.

As I use the extra partition for development work and backups depending on what it's being used for, it is a serious setback from my point of view.

It would also be nice to be able to limit the size of sdb2's initial growth, especially with TB portable ssd's, micro SD and USB memory sticks already out there at up to 2TB and larger ones promised by the end of this year.
I only tested 2.3.2 on one usb-stick, used easydd to write image, rebooted and the working-partition did grow to fill the drive.

Tonight I will test on more usb-sticks.

OscarTalks

Re: Quicktest EasyOS 2.3.2 -> DELL D630

#2560 Post by OscarTalks »

alfons wrote:BCRYPT
The program bcrypt (Menu -> Personal -> "Bcrypt file encryption") has not been working for a long time. I don't know if this is still useful in EasyOS
I think this is because a weakness/vulnerability in bcrypt was reported as a bug and Debian patched it to disable encryption but leave it available (with a warning) in case anyone needed it to decrypt anything.
If you want it to encrypt as well you can just compile the source and substitute the executable, bearing in mind that the "bug" exists.
This reply was posted from NetSurf 3.10 in EasyOS 2.3.2
Oscar in England

Terry H

#2561 Post by Terry H »

BarryK wrote:
OK, give me a bit of time to think what you can do to investigate this. pressed for time right now. probably this evening will take a look at it.

EDIT:
OK, I think maybe I know where the problem is. Run easypup again, and click on the 'initrd' for your easyos installation, to open it up.

Click on the 'init' script in the initrd, to edit it. At line 616 you will see this code:

if [ "${WKG_FS}" == "ext4" ];then #200621 change journal commit interval from 5 to 30...
  mount -t ${WKG_FS} -o commit=30,rw,relatime,data=ordered /dev/$WKG_DEV /mnt/$WKG_DEV
 else
 fi
It seems that in your case, the -o options above, is causing the problem. I don't know why, it worked for me.

Anyway, just delete all of "-o commit=30,rw,relatime,data=ordered", save, exit, click on 'initrd' again to update it, then see if easyos boots.
Success, doing as advised, easyOS2.3.2 now boots successfully. Thanks for the quick response and instructions.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2562 Post by BarryK »

Terry H wrote:
BarryK wrote:

EDIT:

else
 fi

Success, doing as advised, easyOS2.3.2 now boots successfully. Thanks for the quick response and instructions.
leaves me in a quandary though, wondering why those "-o" options work for me, but not you!

Would you mind trying an experiment, change that line to just this:

mount -t ${WKG_FS} -o commit=30 /dev/$WKG_DEV /mnt/$WKG_DEV
That changes the journal commit interval from 5 seconds to 30 seconds.

I just had a thought... you are doing an upgrade, so perhaps your original installation was from the days when EasyOS did not have a journal in the ext4 working partition.

Yes, that would account for the error.

Well, you can test if your working-partition has a journal. Testing my working-partition:

# dumpe2fs /dev/nvme1n1p4 | grep -i "Filesystem features:"
dumpe2fs 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)
Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery extent flex_bg encrypt sparse_super large_file huge_file dir_nlink extra_isize metadata_csum
...yep, "has_journal".

Hmmm, in that case, the init script will need to detect whether the ext4 partition has a journal. Well, perhaps this would work:

mount -t ${WKG_FS} -o commit=30 /dev/$WKG_DEV /mnt/$WKG_DEV 2>/dev/null
 [ $? -ne 0 ] && mount -t ${WKG_FS} /dev/$WKG_DEV /mnt/$WKG_DEV

scsijon

Fix for two NVME drives problem

#2563 Post by scsijon »

The Adapter card you got is a pci-e X16 interface card usually used for adding a first nvme or a second nvme to allow for raid 0 and 1 and therefore automaps to match your existing nvme if you have one installed.

As you already had a nvme installed and didn't want the raid function, you should have got a X4 card which would have assigned a different configuration and looks like https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Con ... ORICO-PSM2 and used the x4 slot.

You should still be able to separate them in the 'bios' firmware though, if your firmware allows two independant nvme 'drives'. You may need to update it though.

Terry H

#2564 Post by Terry H »

Barry, you are correct, updating rather than a new clean install is the problem.

Erasing the working session and rebooting with the full init, or just adding -o commit=30 to the old init line didn't work, as the partition has to be mounted during the boot to do the erase for the clean boot, so the boot still fails with the mount error.

To test the new release, in easypup, i shrank sdb2 (easyOS working partition), created a new sdb3 as ext4 fs. I then edited the initrd to restore the full init script and changed the BOOTSPECS to have sdb3 as the working partition. Boot was successful. So now effectively have a full new 2nd install on the USB.

So currently I can with some simple edits boot using either working partition. I'll work out what I want to do to clean things up in the next couple of days.

hansi

easyos upgrade 2.2.16 --> 2.3.2

#2565 Post by hansi »

I had the same boot failure after my first upgrade of easyos ...
Until now now i always did an new install, but not this time (want to preserve my adjustments.

Thanks for the quick solution, BK

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Fix for two NVME drives problem

#2566 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:The Adapter card you got is a pci-e X16 interface card usually used for adding a first nvme or a second nvme to allow for raid 0 and 1 and therefore automaps to match your existing nvme if you have one installed.

As you already had a nvme installed and didn't want the raid function, you should have got a X4 card which would have assigned a different configuration and looks like https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Con ... ORICO-PSM2 and used the x4 slot.

You should still be able to separate them in the 'bios' firmware though, if your firmware allows two independant nvme 'drives'. You may need to update it though.
I will need to have another look at that adapter card. it seemed that most of the pins are not used, only those at one end go to the m.2 socket.

I couldn't see anything in the uefi bios for separating them.
The uefi setup doesn't even see the nvme drive plugged into the adapter card, so I cannot boot from it. I tried, with an esp fat32 partition in that drive, but it isn't seen at bootup.

After bootup, both are seen, and everything is working fine.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: easyos upgrade 2.2.16 --> 2.3.2

#2567 Post by BarryK »

hansi wrote:mount: mounting /dev/sdb2 on mount /mnt/sdb2 failed invalid argument

I had the same boot failure after my first upgrade of easyos ...
Until now now i always did an new install, but not this time (want to preserve my adjustments.

Thanks for the quick solution, BK
Yes, I also posted to my blog about it:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/fix-for- ... hange.html

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Quicktest EasyOS 2.3.2 -> DELL D630

#2568 Post by BarryK »

OscarTalks wrote:
alfons wrote:BCRYPT
I think this is because a weakness/vulnerability in bcrypt was reported as a bug and Debian patched it to disable encryption but leave it available (with a warning) in case anyone needed it to decrypt anything.
If you want it to encrypt as well you can just compile the source and substitute the executable, bearing in mind that the "bug" exists.
This reply was posted from NetSurf 3.10 in EasyOS 2.3.2
I have modified the GUI so now uses 'ccrypt', see blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202006/ccrypt-f ... n-gui.html

it only encrypts single files, though ccrypt is capable of recursion, so a folder could be inputted and everything in it encrypted -- but the GUI doesn't support that.

scsijon

Re: Fix for two NVME drives problem

#2569 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:
scsijon wrote:The Adapter card you got is a pci-e X16 interface card usually used for adding a first nvme or a second nvme to allow for raid 0 and 1 and therefore automaps to match your existing nvme if you have one installed.

I will need to have another look at that adapter card. it seemed that most of the pins are not used, only those at one end go to the m.2 socket.

I couldn't see anything in the uefi bios for separating them.
The uefi setup doesn't even see the nvme drive plugged into the adapter card, so I cannot boot from it. I tried, with an esp fat32 partition in that drive, but it isn't seen at bootup.

After bootup, both are seen, and everything is working fine.
If you can't see it in setup, then your 'bios' is not setup to have nvme boot selection and it's relying on the default drive functions in the bios to show it. Try checking the base vendors website for an update, although most of those I checked (I have a few links) don't seem to have got that far yet and a couple clearly state they will only support a single nvme unless in raid configuration so you may be out of luck. However with ssd-usbc now supporting thunderbolt (with speeds of read up to 3400MB/s, write up to 3000MB/s) i'm not sure if nvme can be justified except as a cache as you only need a cable adapter to turn usbc to usb3.0/usb2.0.

And i'll leave it here as were getting ot.
Last edited by scsijon on Fri 26 Jun 2020, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

Terry H

#2570 Post by Terry H »

Barry,
as you thought, the original partition sdb2 that failed the mount does not have journaling enabled. The new partiton sdb3 has journaling as per the 2.3.2 release.

Thanks for your assistance and continued development.