EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
belham2

Re: Observation on container Seamonkey

#316 Post by belham2 »

Rodney Byne wrote:Hi,

I'm only a layman user but have been playing around
with Easy and noted the following which no doubt
will be familiar to those more adept than me.

If running, close the out-of- container browser probably
having had changes made such as added bookmarks etc.

Click on File, click once on the green arrow, click on containers,
click on seamonkey, click on container.
There should be an empty box having on the top blue bar:
/mnt/sdb2/containers/seamonkey/container

Leave this empty box in view, move position for convenience.

Mouse to Menu.
Mouse to Internet, position mouse to padlocked icon
Seamonkey web browser, in container.

A left click will return the modified browser.
Now close the modified browser.

Then right click once and after a short pause a new default
browser should appear showing the Easy jumping off stage page.

After a short pause, the empty box will suddenly fill up with 16 directory icons. This is obviously a volatile operational change
to place the new default state browser into "in-container" mode.

I made changes to this new default browser - added a few bookmarks then closed it down.

The filled up box became empty again.

I again right-click-launched the padlocked icon and was pleased
to see I had created a protected browser environment.

The above will only happen as long as the out-of-container
browser is not left running in the background.
In that state the in-container browser adopts the same
web page display as the former.

A bit confusing, but interesting switchable IN/OUT
Protected/Non protected states.
The trick is realizing which state you are actually in - - or out!

Best regards.

Hi Rodney,

Hey, can I ask a question: I asked this some pages ago, but no one answered. Exactly what is signifying to the user that they are running in "Container" mode? Here is a pic of Easy 0.6 fully installed to a USB3.0 64gb stick, and both (from the Menu) rxvt launched and Seamonkey launched, with their respective "Container Menu" icons that Barry set automatically? What are you seeing??

I see nothing, did see nothing, and have never seen anything that signifies when you are in "Container" mode. Yet you wrote what I highlighted above? What am I missing?? Are you psychic or something and just know :wink: , because as far as can tell the only way a user knows if they're in "Container" mode is IF they launched that application from its previously setup Container & thus Container menu entry. Thanks for any explanation.

P.S. You know how I know I am in "Container" mode? Because Seamonkey starts screwing up left and right when you are logged into sites, like murga here, and it starts displaying pages erratically, or won't display fresh pages, cookies disappear, and such. I tried to bring this to Barry's attention, but it was ignored. I have had 5 different user friends all report the same thing; they got so fed up with it they deleted it and never wanted to see EasyLinux again :cry: I too became fed up with it, because either Seamonkey is failing and needs replaced, or something needs attended to because it fails spectacularly and often running in Container mode when trying to operate on logged in sites, posting stuff, uploading & downloading things, going back and forth between other sites with tabs open, normal use that all soon just overwhelms Seamonkey & it becomes non-functional. All 6 of us cannot be seeing the same thing and it being said "nothing is wrong with Seamonkey and/or Container mode".
Attachments
fresh-Easy0.6-full-install-to-USB---exactly-what-is-telling-us-these-are-running-in-a-Container.jpg
(60.34 KiB) Downloaded 1555 times

Rodney Byne

Re container browser

#317 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hi belham2,

This is a conundrum isn't it?

No I'm not physic (wish I was) as I only started playing with
this as posted this afternoon, but for now as a guide,
the clumsy but visual
/mnt/sdb2/containers/seamonkey/container file box
is a useful indicator of which mode you're actually in.
Empty is out and filled, is in.

I now wonder if an instant pointer could be made
by installing say, a chrome browser to run ONLY in
the container mode.
The distinction against Seamonkey in standard mode
would then be immediate and obvious.

For a compiler, this idea might be a piece of cake.
Of course the Menu display would then have to be
amended to show the change.

Is that feasible? BTU.
Best regards.

lp-dolittle

Easy OS 0.6 black screen issue

#318 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

incidentally, I found a way to circumvent the previously reported blacking screen issue (post from Fr 20 Oct) that may occur if the options 'Normal startup' or 'Rollback to previous (initial) snapshot' are chosen.

Remarkably, in this situation, the option 'Command line only, do not start X' is very helpful! Simply typing the command 'xwin', after the root prompt has appeared, results in the rendering of a flawless screen!! ..... surprising, at least to me, since this boot option obviously includes a configuration of xorg which seems to be more reliable than the one performed at a 'Normal startup'!?

What should I think of the pen drive's still ongoing, intermittent regular flickering that also occurs in Easy OS 0.6 when the computer is idle, and despite the fact that the booting messages explicitly report 'loading q.sfs into RAM'?

The still existing XKBconfiguration issue remains manageable via fine-tuning (alas required after every restart of X).

kind regards

Sage

#319 Post by Sage »

... 'xwin', after the root prompt has appeared, results in the rendering of a flawless screen!! ... this boot option obviously includes a configuration of xorg which seems to be more reliable than the one performed at a 'Normal startup'!?
What should I think of the pen drive's still ongoing, intermittent regular flickering that also occurs in Easy OS 0.6 when the computer is idle
None of these are precisely my problem, but there certainly are issues over the default start-up video.
In my case I cannot get a screen which fits correctly using Radeon or nV (7 cards tested), any resolution (all available tested), any monitor (4 of different makes & sizes - not tried TV yet) . Icons always overshoot the margins the first left is off-screen left and above top. Same down below, lucky if I can see any of the lower tray. Fortunately, right click centre DT brings up the menu, but cannot see the 'File', therefore 'quit', menu in any apps - driven to guess how far beyond the screen needed to hit that option.
Of course, I could try manually adjusting each monitor using the on-screen menu, but that is grossly unreasonable, not least because every other distro I test manages to work out suitable default parameters and is likely to just compress the existing display. [Seem to remember another Pup describing a screen size fix but can't remember which or when? Might even be a basic Linux command? Point is - shouldn't be necessary, especially for pre-alphas, alphas, even betas. Some truly bog-std default setting is mandatory, even if that reverts to 3-colours in 640x480! Can't adjust anything without a picture of some sort unless you're a genius at the CLI. Not am I.] Notwithstanding, lp, yes, the cheat code nox, followed by #xwin can be useful for many misbehaving offerings - sadly not this one, at least, for YT.

Rodney Byne

usb flickering

#320 Post by Rodney Byne »

To lp-dolittle,

"What should I think of the pen drive's still ongoing, intermittent regular flickering that also occurs in Easy OS 0.6 when the computer is idle"

I see the same effect on my usb.
7 flicks on and then a pause.

Methinks Easy is polling something.

Watch Top as rhythmic usb flickering is synchronized with
the jumping lines up and down.
Regards.

scsijon

#321 Post by scsijon »

Sage wrote: None of these are precisely my problem, but there certainly are issues over the default start-up video.
In my case I cannot get a screen which fits correctly using Radeon or nV (7 cards tested), any resolution (all available tested), any monitor (4 of different makes & sizes - not tried TV yet) . Icons always overshoot the margins the first left is off-screen left and above top. Same down below, lucky if I can see any of the lower tray. Fortunately, right click centre DT brings up the menu, but cannot see the 'File', therefore 'quit', menu in any apps - driven to guess how far beyond the screen needed to hit that option.
Of course, I could try manually adjusting each monitor using the on-screen menu, but that is grossly unreasonable, not least because every other distro I test manages to work out suitable default parameters and is likely to just compress the existing display. [Seem to remember another Pup describing a screen size fix but can't remember which or when? Might even be a basic Linux command? Point is - shouldn't be necessary, especially for pre-alphas, alphas, even betas. Some truly bog-std default setting is mandatory, even if that reverts to 3-colours in 640x480! Can't adjust anything without a picture of some sort unless you're a genius at the CLI. Not am I.] Notwithstanding, lp, yes, the cheat code nox, followed by #xwin can be useful for many misbehaving offerings - sadly not this one, at least, for YT.
Hi Sage, having the top column and left pixel row not visable, from memory, usually means your video card thinks it's working with aTube Screen, not a LCD type. Lower rows and right side missing means either it thinks the screen is faster than it actually is or that the screen-size is larger (something like trying a 16/9 lcd screen with a 16/10 config.

Can you please boot without starting the X Server and go into xorgconfig and see if it's actually allowing you to setup the actual configuration for your screen, not what It thinks it is. Oh and I've found a lot of the latest so-called 60hx screens are actually 58 or 59.x and only psuedo run at 60hz, and some run better at 85hz, so expect to play with one ONLY until you have it correct. Look up their actual specs before you start please, it saves frustration levels through the roof.

Sage

#322 Post by Sage »

Very many thanks for those comments & suggestions, scsijon. Bit busy, hope to get back to you in a few days time. I suspect that the complaint, if that's what it be, is that my kit hasn't changed (perhaps it should've!), although acutely aware that kernels, etc have. The industry yardstick is undoubtedly Mint and that always has, always does runs flawlessly on my installations. And, so has, does Knoppix in all its incarnations including the latest multi-boot on .iso & USB .img.

scsijon

easy 0.6

#323 Post by scsijon »

I take it barry will use here for easy 0.6.

Having installed it frugallywith just a couple of minimal problems (mainly my memory with configuring grub), it started ok.

However:
1-no sound as it was all turned off in the full config.

2- xerrs.log had these errors: (I cut the ok bits out)
--------------------------------------------------------------
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
amixer: Unable to find simple control '01. 31 Hz',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control '02. 63 Hz',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control '03. 125 Hz',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control '04. 250 Hz',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control '05. 500 Hz',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control '06. 1 kHz',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control '07. 2 kHz',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control '08. 4 kHz',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control '09. 8 kHz',0

amixer: Unable to find simple control '10. 16 kHz',0

gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
/usr/local/pmusic/func_player: line 153: /root/.pmusic/tmp/ffmpeg_filter_NORMALIZE: No such file or directory
killall: ffplay: no process killed
/usr/local/pmusic/func: line 142: /root/.pmusic/tmp/visualization_cmd: No such file or directory
/usr/local/pmusic/func: line 1224: /root/.pmusic/tmp/albumart_search_START_NR: No such file or directory
grep: /root/.pmusic/tmp/tmp_search_albumart: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/root/.pmusic/tmp/albumart_search*.jpg': No such file or directory
/usr/local/pmusic/func: line 8: /root/.pmusic/tmp/tmp_search_albumart: No such file or directory
/usr/local/pmusic/gui_add: line 322: GUI_ALBUMART_SEARCH: command not found

-------------------------------------------------------------

3- bootsysinit errors:
---------------------------------------------------------------
VERSION UPDATE
Updating /etc/networkmodules...
mv: cannot stat '/etc/modules/firmware.dep': No such file or directory
LOAD KERNEL MODULES

scsijon: I removed ok modules from here until:-

amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
-------------------------------------------------------------

ran a few things and they seem ok. I will do a propper run when I have time early next week.

T-Biscuit

Easy 0.6

#324 Post by T-Biscuit »

Just wanted to post quickly that I have achieved a milestone to which I have been striving for 2 years. I got linux to boot and "install" and I am typing this on it right now. Thank you Barry!

If anyone wants details, please direct me to the best thread, and I will provide.

Not working are the battery, built in wifi, and drive icons (maybe because of the need to force a screen rotation to landscape).
Attachments
capture21196.png
screen shot
(142.57 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

melon688

#325 Post by melon688 »

Wireless problem

1.Laptop : Dell 1535 pp33l,Wireless chip : BCM4312
2.EasyOS 0.6 can't detect BCM4312
3.Copy b43,b43legacy two directories to lib/firmware
4.Reboot,can detect BCM4312
5.Setup wireless (SNS,Frisbee,Network Wizard) OK, but after reboot, network is unreachable.

Sage

#326 Post by Sage »

having the top column and left pixel row not visable, from memory, usually means your video card thinks it's working with aTube Screen, not a LCD type. Lower rows and right side missing means either it thinks the screen is faster than it actually is or that the screen-size is larger (something like trying a 16/9 lcd screen with a 16/10 config.
Checked the specs for three monitors (all lcd/led) I have in regular use. I believe I can run all of them at res. given, viz: 1440x900-75SXGA, 1440x900-60Hz, 1366x768-60Hz.
The only system/mon. that boots (almost) correctly is one with an old, least common, SiS Mirage I video chip.

At present, only Easy, XSlacko-slim, LXPupSC, Zesty/Arty Pups are the ones out of scores of distros I regularly test that either fail to boot at all or give video-based shortcomings. And all these problems are NEW! e.g. since Xslacko4.2. XSlacko-slim r54, etc. Something was irrevocably changed after that time, either in Woofs, kernels or whatever. I don't do code as I repeatedly advise, so utterly unable to make any rational coding diagnoses.
Can you please boot without starting the X Server and go into xorgconfig and see if it's actually allowing you to setup the actual configuration for your screen, not what It thinks it is.
I would if I could! booting 'nox', tells 'xorgwizard' is disabled. Tried to search for xorgconfig from ls CLI but insufficiently familiar to locate what you require. More info please?

Update:
Much fiddling, was able to get as far as the Ignore/CommandLine option on one system, then to ls, then to etc/X11 and cat xorg.conf. Forgotten how to reverse scroll (suppose I could look it up!), but seems the default res. is set 1920x1080, which is ludicrous, although a lower res. is #-ed! My talents certainly don't extend to editing from the CLI, so wasn't able to experiment any further. However, whilst making some coffee, a correctly sized & shaped cursor arrow did eventually appear on the black background. CTRL-ALT-BCKSPCE did nothing. Eventually gave up due to brain over-exertion, coffee over-cooling.
If some kind soul would care to offer an explicit list of instructions, or better, a more universal default version, I'll try one more time.

lp-dolittle

video issue

#327 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ sage

thank you for this post! Your comment in fact seems to hit home!

Alas lacking in expertise and specific knowledge, I also wondered at the phenomenon which you describe. What makes booting of the fascinating Quirkies and Easy OS so delicate on (older) hardware which flawlessly seemed to 'cooperate' with former Puppies? As far as I can see, the Xorg setup problems became obvious when the 64Bit variants of quirky were introduced. Might the change from 32-Bit to 64-Bit systems in fact cause unexpected trouble?

kind regards

Billtoo

Easy Linux 0.5 pre-alpha, released Oct. 02, 2017

#328 Post by Billtoo »

I used the easydd utility in the setup menu of Pyro64 and installed to
a 32gb SDHC card.

# inxi -bw
System: Host: easypc2917 Kernel: 4.13.2 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: Quirky 0.6 xerus64
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: 200-009 serial: 3CR51504YY
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 2B38 v: 1.02 serial: 138922010004188 Bios: AMI v: 80.03 date: 12/15/2014
CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron 2957U (-MCP-) speed/max: 1396/1400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 152x26 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Broadcom BCM43142 802.11b/g/n
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1064.2GB (0.1% used)
Weather: Conditions: 41 F (5 C) - Overcast Time: November 1, 3:26 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 96 Uptime: 55 min Memory: 168.5/1859.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
#

I installed several applications with pkgget.
It's nice having access to all the xenial applications.

Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(20.19 KiB) Downloaded 637 times

Billtoo

#329 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Easy 6 to a flash drive and from there installed it to the
hard drive of my Acer desktop:

# inxi -bw
System: Host: easypc2177 Kernel: 4.13.2 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: Quirky 0.6 xerus64
Machine: Mobo: Acer model: Aspire X3950 serial: U02C120500059
Bios: American Megatrends v: P01-A3 date: 05/05/2010
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 540 (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 3059/3067 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 164x26 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (0.3% used)
Weather: Conditions: 54 F (12 C) - Overcast Time: November 2, 9:06 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 118 Uptime: 44 min Memory: 155.5/5901.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
#

I've installed the devx amd kernel source sfs + some applications that
I enjoy.

Easy is the only OS on the hard drive, windows is long gone.

Thanks.

@belham2
Plenty to choose from here:

http://wallpaperscraft.com/
Attachments
wallpaperscraft.com.jpg
(83.43 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
screenshot.jpg
(48.33 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 02 Nov 2017, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#330 Post by belham2 »

Billtoo,

You really gotta start some sort of 'background-repo', maybe on your smokey01 acct, for all the great backgrounds you find and use. Seriously, you really do find the best ones (luv the two above for pyro on the 32gb sdhc card) :)

Heck, I am still even looking for this one ever since I first saw it (not the dog one, haha) 3 years ago :lol:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 535#816535

Billtoo

#331 Post by Billtoo »

belham2 wrote:Billtoo,

You really gotta start some sort of 'background-repo', maybe on your smokey01 acct, for all the great backgrounds you find and use. Seriously, you really do find the best ones (luv the two above for pyro on the 32gb sdhc card) :)

Heck, I am still even looking for this one ever since I first saw it (not the dog one, haha) 3 years ago :lol:

I found that background that you like and posted it on smokey's site, it's named photowall19.jpg or close to that:

http://www.smokey01.com/Bill2/

Billtoo

#332 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a SDHC card for use on my Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop:

# inxi -bw
System: Host: easypc30187 Kernel: 4.13.2 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: Quirky 0.6 xerus64
Machine: System: LENOVO product: 7491B8U v: ThinkCentre M58e serial: MJ01509
Mobo: LENOVO model: N/A serial: INVALID Bios: LENOVO v: 5HKT39AUS date: 06/17/2009
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2992/3003 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
tty size: 114x27 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Marvell 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
Card-2: Linksys WUSB54GC v1 802.11g Adapter [Ralink RT73] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 352.0GB (0.4% used)
Weather: Conditions: 48 F (9 C) - Mostly Cloudy Time: November 3, 9:29 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 89 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 195.3/3959.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
#

I didn't feel up to attempting a frugal install so I have a 32gb SDHC card
plugged into a usb card reader that is plugged into a usb 2.0 port in
the back of the computer.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver (Nov 2nd) installed the devx and
kernel source sfs's, then blacklisted the nouveau driver, rebooted and
and compiled the new driver.

Also added applications with pkgget.

Good so far,
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(125.41 KiB) Downloaded 1981 times

belham2

#333 Post by belham2 »

Billtoo wrote:
belham2 wrote:Billtoo,

I found that background that you like and posted it on smokey's site, it's named photowall19.jpg or close to that:

http://www.smokey01.com/Bill2/

Thank you, Bill!

mmmrr

feedback thread for easy 0.6 ???

#334 Post by mmmrr »

did an other place for feedback open
and i missed the notice?? thx for info.
cheers, mm

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: feedback thread for easy 0.6 ???

#335 Post by BarryK »

mmmrr wrote:did an other place for feedback open
and i missed the notice?? thx for info.
cheers, mm
This is the right place! Just nothing happening, for now anyway.

I have been working on Quirky, but another release of Easy is on the way.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]