Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 14 Dec 2018, 17:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Pyro 0.9.10, December 5, 2018
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 34 of 79 [1171 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 77, 78, 79 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2018, 04:20    Post subject:  

Cu Chulinux, Billtoo,
That's good news.

Another parameter to play with is 'dri'.

That Arch page:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics#DRI3_issues

states that dri3 is the default. Not so in Pyro64, dri2 is the default.

So, if you want to try dri3, insert this in the 20-intel-sna.conf file:

Code:
Option "DRI" "3"

Billtoo

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2018, 19:50    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 (Mar. 14), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018  

I like the hp mini install of 0.8.1 so did a new install to a 32gb
usb-3.0 flash drive with easydd:

System: Host: EASYPC22879 Kernel: 4.14.23 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: JWM 2.4.0 Distro: Quirky 0.8.1 pyro64
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial: MXX0370KF3
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: 6 core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 799/2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 driver: radeon Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.23, LLVM 3.9.1)
version: 2.1 Mesa 17.0.2
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1063.2GB (0.2% used)
Weather: Conditions: 34 F (1 C) - Overcast Time: March 14, 7:30 PM EDT
Info: Processes: 138 Uptime: 1:22 Memory: 232.9/7986.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Added the devx and kernel source sfs files and compiled
gkrellm-2.3.10.tar.bz2,vte-0.28.2.tar.xz,lxterminal-0.3.1.tar.xz,slang-2.3.2.tar.bz2,mc-4.8.20.tar.xz.

Downloaded pminstaller-0.2.4.tar.bz2 and installed Pale Moon 27.8.1
(64-bit) web browser. ( runs as user spot )

No problems so far,
Thanks.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   59.85 KB
 Viewed   716 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar 2018, 08:00    Post subject:  

I fixed a bug with changing video resolution in QuickSetup.

Xorg automatically chooses 1280x1024 for my TV (that I use as the monitor for my midi-tower PC). It isn't quite right, a bit stretched horizontally.

So, QuickSetup there is a drop-down list of alternative resolutions, and I choose the right one for my TV, 1920x1080.

Fine, but later on it goes back to 1280x1024. Even though I had selected "Permanent" (button to keep that new setting).

What happens when "Permanent" is chosen, is that the new resolution gets written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

What is wrong with that is that the new resolution should also be written to the backup file xorg.conf.<hardware profile>

If the usb drive is booted on a different computer, a different xorg.conf is used. If the usb drive is later booted on the original computer, xorg.conf is restored from xorg.conf.<hardware profile>

You can see the code that does this in /usr/bin/xwin

Edited /usr/sbin/quicksetup, fixed it, so the resolution you choose on a particular pc will stick.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar 2018, 08:11    Post subject: Re: EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 (Mar. 14), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018  

Billtoo wrote:
Downloaded pminstaller-0.2.4.tar.bz2 and installed Pale Moon 27.8.1
(64-bit) web browser. ( runs as user spot )

I am probably going to phase-out 'spot', as there are now containers.

Well, containers do need some more work, that I intend to get onto soon.

There have been some improvements, unannounced. It was musher0 I think, who reported some instability with seamonkey, after stopping then restarting SM -- or something, don't recall.

I am using the container-SM right now, it is running well. If I wanted to, I could change the run-action in the desktop "www" icon to run the container-SM, by prepending "ec-chroot", like this:

ec-chroot seamonkey

If you go to the menu:

Filesystem --> Easy Container Management

you should be able to create a container for pale-moon

Leave the "security settings" as-is for now. That is an area that needs more work.

scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar 2018, 23:13    Post subject:  

Hi, downloading 0.8.1 and it's devx now as been a little busy, will load and test this weekend.

OT (and the real reason for the post) your caravan is similar to one made in Vic. The main differance is the top half folds down in two giving a slightly humped top when down, and the middle bit of the roof-top is an inbuilt solar panel as it's basically for off-grid travel (12v everywhere). Not a pop-top either, everything's solid when up or down. I'll ask them when they get back from Darwin (after ANZAC day) for a report and details and put it up somewhere.

OT2 I'm doing some hardware/screen/stylus tests for a graphic storyboard design course in the 2nd semester. Two 2-in-1's returned to makers this week due to level of fails, one in hand to test, one to pickup next week. Only one has passed all tests so far, but being a wacom I expected it to pass. Two others are provisionally passed but..... None are cheap (so far). Sorry, don't ask for results, confidentiality agreements to get them for testing, even they are only getting their individual results. However, a good way of also trying out new (to aus at least) stuff Smile with puppy as they know they will be wiped clean before returning.
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2018, 02:55    Post subject:  

0.8.1: seems to work well on most AMD/Intel single/multi-core machines, but:-

very, very slow as it sets up it's first boot

can be a real pig to find viable driver and resolution on fb

Neither of those features is show stopping, but why not boot to something very simple which is immediately visible to all and allow user to modify once running? Isn't that what other distros do?
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2018, 06:56    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
0.8.1: seems to work well on most AMD/Intel single/multi-core machines, but:-

very, very slow as it sets up it's first boot

can be a real pig to find viable driver and resolution on fb

Neither of those features is show stopping, but why not boot to something very simple which is immediately visible to all and allow user to modify once running? Isn't that what other distros do?

It will be "very very slow" if you are using a slow usb drive. If you used 'easydd' to write the image file to the usb drive, it reports write-speed, and advises that if less than 7MB/s then it is an awful drive.

The Innostor drive, that I purchased from BigW, 16GB, very cheap, easydd reported 21MB/s.

Why is there a problem finding viable driver and resolution? I presume it is Intel video?

QuickSetup will run, and it should show that Easy has chosen the 'intel' xorg driver, and will offer alternative resolutions (and frequencies) in a drop-down list. If the default resolution is not satisfactory, just choose one of the alternatives.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2018, 07:14    Post subject:  

scsijon wrote:
OT (and the real reason for the post) your caravan is similar to one made in Vic. The main differance is the top half folds down in two giving a slightly humped top when down, and the middle bit of the roof-top is an inbuilt solar panel as it's basically for off-grid travel (12v everywhere). Not a pop-top either, everything's solid when up or down. I'll ask them when they get back from Darwin (after ANZAC day) for a report and details and put it up somewhere.

Do you mean the Avan camper?

http://www.avan.com.au/our-range/campers/display/7-sportliner/

I think they are based in NSW, with dealers all over Aus.

Their smallest A-frame is the Sportliner, weighs 710kg. None of them have an ensuite.

The main thing that attracted me to the Euro Glider is the extreme light weight, just 560kg, or 615kg with ensuite.

A 1.4 litre Hyundai Getz can legally tow 700kg, though I don't think it would be much fun going up hills.

Sage

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2018, 07:40    Post subject:  

Quote:
using a slow usb driv

written to an Integral 32Gb using USB Image Writer - was completed extremely quickly. It was the First boot that was exceptionally slow as it manipulated the necessary files & co.
Quote:
Why is there a problem finding viable driver and resolution? I presume it is Intel video?

Normally try to avoid Intel anything, but in this case it was as tedious selecting working drivers and resolutions from xorgwizard for Rad/nV and Intel cards. Why not default to the l.c.d., which is what practically every other distro adopts? First things first - get a picture. In crt days 640x480 was a good start, perhaps 1024x768 is the bog std. for led monitors now? Not sure how other developers select a basic driver, vesa/vga/w.h.y. but they mostly do. Starting with high performance defaults just frightens off the horses!
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2018, 20:19    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Quote:

Normally try to avoid Intel anything, but in this case it was as tedious selecting working drivers and resolutions from xorgwizard for Rad/nV and Intel cards. Why not default to the l.c.d., which is what practically every other distro adopts? First things first - get a picture. In crt days 640x480 was a good start, perhaps 1024x768 is the bog std. for led monitors now? Not sure how other developers select a basic driver, vesa/vga/w.h.y. but they mostly do. Starting with high performance defaults just frightens off the horses!

Are you using an LCD screen? If so, there should not be any problem.

Easy and Quirky just use whatever Xorg automatically chooses, as do other distros.

If you don't like the choice, select from the dropdown list in QuickSetup.

There should not be any need to go to xorgwizard.

If you have a high-resolution monitor, Xorg may choose it's native resolution and highest frequency. If that is not suitable, choose from the dropdown list -- is the dropdown list not offering you anything suitable? -- it should be.

Note, you can re-run QuickSetup anytime, via the 'Setup' menu.

Billtoo

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2018, 22:18    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 (Mar. 14), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018  

I'm running my 0.8.1 install, I moved my ethernet cable to another pc
and it's a pain re-routing it back to the hp mini so I've set up
wireless with frisbee.
The builtin wireless adapter isn't supported but a usb adapter that I
have is:

System: Host: EASYPC14557 Kernel: 4.14.23 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: JWM 2.4.0 Distro: Quirky 0.8.1 pyro64
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: 200-009 serial: 3CR51504YY
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 2B38 v: 1.02 serial: 138922010004188
UEFI [Legacy]: AMI v: 80.03 date: 12/15/2014
CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron 2957U (-MCP-) speed/max: 813/1400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile version: 4.5 Mesa 17.0.2
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM43142 802.11b/g/n
Card-3: D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 64.0GB (4.4% used)
Info: Processes: 110 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 96.3/1854.6MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Is there any way of getting support for the builtin Broadcom Limited
BCM43142 802.11b/g/n adapter so I can get back the use of a precious usb-3.0 port?

Thanks.
Sage

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2018, 03:17    Post subject:  

Quote:
Are you using an LCD screen?
Yes! - all such this last decade.
Aware of the usual adjustments you kindly suggest. Try them all as seems appropriate, but this one is different, not a bit like Quirky which behaves normally.
As indicated, always end up with video, but doubt the average neophyte would bother.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2018, 06:50    Post subject:  

gcmartin has sent me an email, reporting that youtube-dl does not work.

This is a python script, and there is a simple GUI for it in the 'Internet' menu.

It works when the 'devx' sfs is loaded. Without devx, there is a cutdown python 2.7.x, named 'python-tiny', obviously too cut-down.

I have downloaded the latest 'youtube-dl', dated 2018-03-14.

Have adjusted the 'python-tiny' template in woofQ, so now it has all the modules required to run youtube-dl.

Which, it turns out, is a lot of modules, so 'python-tiny' is not so tiny anymore.

don570

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2018, 13:47    Post subject:  

EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated

I find the default intel driver still unstable with my 945G chip
Once it froze and second time the windows wouldn't form properly.

So I am trying uxa INTEL driver instead. So far it is stable but I've only
been using the computer a couple of hours.

Quote:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-uxa.confDISABLED

...rename it without that "DISABLED" and restart X.
Cu Chulinux

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2018, 19:05    Post subject:  

I've been running Quirky Xenial 8.5 with Intel uxa mode enabled. It is very solid. Unfortunately not so with EasyOS, Even with 0.8.1 updated driver it freezes with both uxa and sna.

Next I am going to compare differences (if any) in setups between the various puppies and Easy. I do know that Xenialpup uses an older version of the Intel driver and Fatdog64 uses a newer version (at least newer than 0.8.0 was). I don't yet know what options they set.

Is it possible there is a timing issue in startup? Maybe the system is looking for a file not available yet? I set a custom background by creating a symbolic link to a file in the /usr/share/backgrounds directory. The actual file is in the /home/media/images directory. On reboot the system did not use the linked image but reverted to default background. The link existed, just was not yet connected to file when background was set.

Edit: note the above was with Easy 0.8.0 I haven't successfully run 0.8.1 for longer than a few minutes yet. I also retried Quirky Pyro64 and it froze when I opened the. main menu. I seem to have better luck with them when I boot up and let sit doing nothing for about 10 minutes. It's like I have to ease slowly into using them.
Page 34 of 79 [1171 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 77, 78, 79 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: