(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 29 Sep 2020, 08:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 39 of 172 [2578 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 170, 171, 172 Next
belham2

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2018, 07:02    Post subject:  

Hi Barry (& all),

Well, haven't tried Easy since 0.6-versions. Boy, you've made a lot of nice changes! Wink

As usual, I frugally-installed lastest 0.8.5 (downloaded from ibiblio), made the initrd.q changes, and Easy was off to the races along with the other frgual-installed pups & DDogs on this 8gb thumbdrive.

I had no problems with booting, video (intel i915, all good on this Core i3 laptop). Also ran some vid movie files from an external drive, various formats, and Gnome-MPV played them all nicely. Regarding SM, not sure if you made any corrections/ changes with 'Seamonkey in Container', but boy it sure is (for me) more stable & working better. I have yet to see it display that occasional "https logged in, random logging out" behavior I had seen & mentioned back in 0.6. LibreOffice is humming along great, and quite snappy too. And Easyshare had no problems grabbing everything in the house, including the stubborn old Canon network printer.

All in all, great work. Thank you Very Happy (P.S. Really liked the HelpSurfer popup...a lot of newbies are sure to adore that.)
1-Frugal-installed-Easy-0.8.5.png
 Description   
 Filesize   225.07 KB
 Viewed   1457 Time(s)

1-Frugal-installed-Easy-0.8.5.png

2-HelpSurfer--very-nice.png
 Description   
 Filesize   222.65 KB
 Viewed   1353 Time(s)

2-HelpSurfer--very-nice.png

3-Video-info.png
 Description   
 Filesize   103.93 KB
 Viewed   1283 Time(s)

3-Video-info.png

4-Easy-0.8.5-frugal-installed.png
 Description   
 Filesize   170.08 KB
 Viewed   1279 Time(s)

4-Easy-0.8.5-frugal-installed.png

Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2018, 14:23    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 (Mar. 14), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018  

I did another install to a pc with intel graphics:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 5 Apr 2018 on Easy Pyro64 0.8.5 Linux 4.14.27 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
oem: Intel(R) SKL Mobile/Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
Binary file (standard input) matches

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.19.1
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.0.7

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100T CPU @ 3.20GHz
Core 0: @827 1: @905 2: @863 3: @850 MHz

It works well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried installing on a pc with Nvidia graphics card and had no success
at all, the only way to get to the desktop was using vesa.
I loaded the devx + kernel source, disabled nouveau, and ran the
installer, seemed to go okay but it would not startx.

Couldn't use nouveau or nv either which I tried to use first.

Thanks.
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2018, 02:56    Post subject:  

Quote:
Couldn't use nouveau or nv either which I tried to use first.

Glad to hear I'm not going bananas, Bill! Could this be connected to new dirty tricks by, inter alia the Wintel cartel, now that allegiances have become realigned (AMD, nV, Intel, Radeon, etc.)? Not sure where the prime architect and his fellow kernel writers, approvers and cheer-leaders stand in Linuxland these days? Grubby tentacles from Redmond still have extensive reach. $$$ ?
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:02    Post subject:  

I am making some improvements to container management. Will polish that a bit more tomorrow.

Will probably recompile the kernel, when scsijon figures out some extra kernel config settings for nvme ssd.

Plan to recompile samba, as before disabled some options that did not really save much space.

Thinking about a few other improvements, and maybe the next release will be 0.9 and assign it beta status.

scsijon

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2018, 22:57    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Will probably recompile the kernel, when scsijon figures out some extra kernel config settings for nvme ssd.

And that's not happening for the next two weeks as i've got to concentrate on the reports for my Uni laptop testing project, due for handover by the 19th.

However, for anyone in a hurry to buy a new laptop I would consider either pure sata SSD's or dual SSD/Hard Drive and rely on the hard drive at present. There are both kernel as well as bios changes to make for PCIE NVME and linux and so far I can't get them to be as a duality (laptop works both in windows and linux) mode. It should be do-able but with windows using the IRRT with RAID when using PCIe SSD's and linux normally needing AHCI for SSD it seems that it's a one or the other. To date all of the answers on the web for M.2 and NVME haven't worked for me when they are needed to boot the computer.

I haven't found the SSD Raid for PCIe setting that works for NVME yet when it's IRRT, but I'm going to have a look at the latest 4.16 kernel and it's new settings when I have free time. I have asked the question to intel about IRRT in the last few days, but of course have yet to receive a reply, (it would be nice if they could write a IRRT for linux).

Oh yes, I did have pyro 0.8.1 displaying ok with the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 4GB Graphics at UHD (3840x2160) from startup, in case this is of interest to anyone.

Your two pm's are awaiting attention.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2018, 20:55    Post subject:  

There is a new tutorial for Easy Containers, written for the upcoming version 0.9:

http://bkhome.org/easy/using-easy-containers.html

tigs

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2018, 23:10    Post subject: a couple of problems experienced  

I have given it a try (the 0.8.1 version) on a Lenovo P51 Thinkpad with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC(2x2) 8265, Bluetooth Version 4.1. Everything is great except it does not detect the wifi card. I guess it does not have the driver for it.

Just tried to manual load Intel drivers. There are 3 of them, and none of them seems to work. I have also tried to use the draper, and did not get it to work either.

Thanks

PS. Just gave the 0.6.8 version a try as well. Can't get the wifi card recognized. only see the eth0.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2018, 03:50    Post subject:  

EasyOS Pyro64 version 0.9 is released ...almost.

ibiblio.org is in the midst of a hardware upgrade, and uploading, for the past week, has been problematic.

I have created three builds of 0.9, normal, and with modesetting and vesa xorg drivers preselected.

Early this morning, attempted to use rsync to upload. This time, the modesetting build uploaded, then the vesa build failed to upload.

Each failed attempt chews through my monthly data (only 10GB). Well, I'm on prepaid, using my mobile for Internet, and can buy another voucher at any time to renew, don't have to wait until the month is up. Or, I could visit one of my relatives with landline Internet and unlimited data.

Anyway, this morning I fell back to using gFTP. I did upload with it a couple of days ago, but it was very slow, about 25KB/sec.
So, using gFTP today to upload the vesa build ... and it is moving at about 10KB/sec, 77MB now uploaded of a total of 399, estimate 9 hours to go. This is like the old dialup days!

If anyone wants to try it, the modesetting build is uploaded:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/releases/pyro/0.9/easy-0.9-amd64-MODESETTING.img.gz

It is just like a normal build, except preselects xorg modesetting, and you can run Xorg Wizard to select something else.

modesetting is pretty good actually. Not as hardware-accelerated as the "proper" driver, but it does have some acceleration I think, as uses the kernel gpu drm driver.

It would be good to check the md5sum:

43f36484f9f092cf746dfe00131d40d4 easy-0.9-amd64-MODESETTING.img.gz

The most interesting features, relative to 0.8.5, are the desktop containerized-apps icons, and samba recompiled with more features -- and hopefully EasyShare still works, and should work better with Windows machines.

Still stuck on that green theme though! Laughing

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2018, 04:11    Post subject:  

On the subject of hardware-acceleration and the Xorg modesetting driver, my original understanding was that it has no hardware acceleration, confirmed by early docs, such as this, posted 2011:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTk1OA

However, apparently, the 'glamor' hardware acceleration has evolved, and the modesetting driver can use it. Hunting for some more info:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-DDX-May-Tests

In the past, there has been a noticeable performance hit with using modesetting, but now, I wonder?

Using modesetting exclusively would simplify everything.

Here is the glamor project page:

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Glamor/

...however, glamor is now included in the xorg-server package.

EDIT:
However, as far as I can make out, glamor is so far only for Intel video hardware?
The Gentoo page:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel
says that need to force modesetting to use glamor...

Code:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-modesetting.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "modesetting"
    Option      "AccelMethod"    "glamor"
    Option      "DRI"            "3"
EndSection

EDIT2: AMD
This report is ATI video working with modesetting driver and glamor acceleration:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:ATI

So, we do need to seriously look into this, wether we can go for an all-modesetting solution.

EDIT3: NVIDIA
This is good info:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-Vs-Modesetting

EDIT4:
Very good overviews:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/[how-to]alternative-way-to-set-up-xorg-for-modern-graphics-cards-4175577962/
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/6la6n5/trying_to_understand_drm_dri_mesa_radeon_gallium/

Last edited by BarryK on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 05:32; edited 1 time in total
Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2018, 05:02    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 (Mar. 14), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018  

I installed to a 32gb flash drive for use on my lenovo thinkcentre
desktop:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 12 Apr 2018 on Easy Pyro64 0.9 Linux 4.14.32 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: modesetting
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 17.0.7

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2170 1: @2217 MHz

It got to the desktop on first boot at the proper screen resolution
1600x900
No devx available yet.

That's it so far, going to explore a bit now.

Thanks.

EDIT: Gnome mpv plays a 720p mp4 perfectly.
EDIT2: I made a pet of Gkrellm in my 0.8.5 install and used it in 0.9.0,also added palemoon web browser.
I see that a remaster needs to be done before Palemoon can be run in a container so I will wait until I've finished adding stuff before doing the remaster.
screenshot2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   84.31 KB
 Viewed   641 Time(s)

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   36.09 KB
 Viewed   673 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

tigs

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2018, 10:11    Post subject: Re: a couple of problems experienced  

Unfortunately, with the latest version 0.9=modesetting, I still can't detect the wifi card. Any idea?

love the fact that it detects NVME drives!

tigs wrote:
I have given it a try (the 0.8.1 version) on a Lenovo P51 Thinkpad with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC(2x2) 8265, Bluetooth Version 4.1. Everything is great except it does not detect the wifi card. I guess it does not have the driver for it.

Just tried to manual load Intel drivers. There are 3 of them, and none of them seems to work. I have also tried to use the draper, and did not get it to work either.

Thanks

PS. Just gave the 0.6.8 version a try as well. Can't get the wifi card recognized. only see the eth0.
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2018, 12:17    Post subject:  

@tigs
Can you not see which driver and version your kernel is looking for with the dmesg command in console? I would expect something with iwlwifi, 8625 and ucode for your card.
You can search in the big repo's of ubuntu for the right version and drop it in /lib/firmware.
tigs

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2018, 14:07    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:
@tigs
Can you not see which driver and version your kernel is looking for with the dmesg command in console? I would expect something with iwlwifi, 8625 and ucode for your card.
You can search in the big repo's of ubuntu for the right version and drop it in /lib/firmware.

Thank you so much for pointing me to the right direction.

1. the wifi card is supposed to be : Intel Dual band AC 8265" , not 8625. It was mistake on the lenovo website I copied from.

I went to intel website and downloaded the driver unpacked and unpacked again, drop the ucode file to /lib/firmware. I restarted the machine and it recognised thecard without issue.

here is the link to all Intel drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Thanks

Thanks Barry! Great Writeups on your website, very simple and easy to follow and understand.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2018, 16:09    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 (Mar. 14), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018  

I installed easy-0.9-amd64-MODESETTING.img.gz to a 32gb sdhc card for
use on my Acer laptop:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 12 Apr 2018 on Easy Pyro64 0.9 Linux 4.14.32 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: PARK 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.32, LLVM 3.9.1)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 17.0.7

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz
Core 0: @1332 1: @1425 2: @1422 3: @1418 MHz

I ran xorgwizard and changed from modesetting to radeon graphics
driver.
I added a couple of small pets that I made in easy-0.8.5 that I'll
attach to this message if anyone wants them, Gtkhash and Lxterminal.

That's it so far,
Thanks
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   67.69 KB
 Viewed   529 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

gtkhash-1.1.1-amd64.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  gtkhash-1.1.1-amd64.pet 
Filesize  116.25 KB 
Downloaded  110 Time(s) 
lxterminal-0.3.0-amd64.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  lxterminal-0.3.0-amd64.pet 
Filesize  135.19 KB 
Downloaded  110 Time(s) 
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr 2018, 17:53    Post subject:  

Yay! With easy-0.9-amd64-MODESETTING my nVidia [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] VGA graphics card shows the desktop at the correct (1080x1920) resolution immediately upon a "normal start-up"!

The network drivers appear to load without any delay (probably fixed earlier). So, Easy is now behaving as one expects.

Congratulations and thank you for resolving the video issues.

Now for other issues, one a nit. One of the boot messages reports an invalid date/time, which appears to be the correct date and time but with the time zone appended, separated by a hyphen. Could that appendage be responsible for the rejection? The message could be off-putting for new users.

The other item I think I reported earlier. Whenever I reboot normally, the boot-up fails to find the Easy USB drive, showing "sda ada sda sda sda sda sda", more messages, then stopping the boot-up. If I press ctrl-alt-del before it finishes, that reboot usually finds sdb ("sda sda sda sdb") and boots normally. (There are 3 partitions on sda.) Could shutdown be leaving something around that confuses the init script? The PC is a Compaq Presario SR5413WM, which I detailed earlier.

Richard
Page 39 of 172 [2578 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 170, 171, 172 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: