EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tigs

#901 Post by tigs »

unfortunately, I can not get 0.9.5 to recognized my nvidia graphic cards (quadro K2200). is the card ever going to be supported again?

thanks

BarryK
Puppy Master

#902 Post by BarryK »

tigs wrote:unfortunately, I can not get 0.9.5 to recognized my nvidia graphic cards (quadro K2200). is the card ever going to be supported again?

thanks
Does the Xorg "nv" driver work? -- you can bootup to the commandline and run "xorgwizard" to choose it.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sage

#903 Post by Sage »

My mistake - use this format so rarely forgot to extract .img file!

rufwoof

#904 Post by rufwoof »

dd'd using OpenBSD to a 2GB SD/MMC micro card (that I connect via a caddy to the PC).

Booted, and bootup splash screen didn't show the version, instead it showed the parameter/command string ... something like ${DISTRO-VERSION} at the top centre.

EDIT: subsequent boots and 0.9.5 is showing in the splash screen correctly !!!

Created a snapshot of the Desk container, started the desk container and made some changes. Shut it down (did try making a snapshot of the Desk container whilst it was still running but that was refused), made a snapshot .. restarted the Desk container again and made changes, shut it down and rolled back to the snapshot version and it rolled back OK.

When I'm in the desk container and Menu/Shutdown it goes black screen and when I alt-F6 it flips to the main (normal) session, but still shows a Desk icon in the tray. Have to right click and close that. Perhaps I should be shutting down the Desk container some other way???

So far that's all I've found, generally seems to be working well.
Last edited by rufwoof on Tue 24 Jul 2018, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

tigs

#905 Post by tigs »

BarryK wrote:
tigs wrote:unfortunately, I can not get 0.9.5 to recognized my nvidia graphic cards (quadro K2200). is the card ever going to be supported again?

thanks
Does the Xorg "nv" driver work? -- you can bootup to the commandline and run "xorgwizard" to choose it.
Thanks Barry.

No, the "nv" driver does not work either. It doesn't matter if I boot to command line only or automatic boot up. It will end up in the command line. the "x" wont start. I have tried to reboot as some of the modes requires rebooting/ No difference.

So far the only versions of easy os that works with this nvidia card are 0.9 modesetting and 0.9.2.

rufwoof

#906 Post by rufwoof »

tigs wrote:No, the "nv" driver does not work either. It doesn't matter if I boot to command line only or automatic boot up. It will end up in the command line. the "x" wont start.
Mine (Radeon/ATI onboard) also boots to command line, but after running xorgwizard and selection the Radeon option it xwin's to gui desktop OK.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

#907 Post by rufwoof »

Hmm! Run Desk container (which I believe has a similar config as the www container). Run gparted. Change the label ... and accepted !!! Looking at capsh --print containers aren't isolated enough IMO. Conceptually a browser flaw could result in ransomware. With SeaMonkey/FireFox relatively poor privsep (Chrome is much better) !!! If so with disk, most likely also with memory. Perhaps a heap spraying exploit.

Also having seamonkey in the 'secure desktop' (main desktop) ??? Generally a secure desktop is self contained, only the OS. External facing should be separated from that. When so you can keep your data securely within that. On my OpenBSD setup I use tmux and have ranger as one of the tmux windows. Enough for general data management. And root ownership/running. For browsing that runs under a user userid, where the file/folder permissions prevent access to data and OS. Iridium browser (Chrome with much of the undesired pulled out, additional security added in) that does privsep properly. OK to have the browser in the main sfs so that a read only is transposed into containers, but shouldn't be run in the main session.

EasyOS is impressive and "getting there", but a way to go yet IMO. Perhaps making the main/root session more of just a data and management level, sys admin, create containers, storage of data - "secure desktop". Relatively little in the way of 'third party' programs run within that. Containers for the rest (and more locked down), watching videos, browser, mail ...etc. Leaving it for the user to decide what files might be moved across to the secure desktop.

Another observation, running pup ad block installs a adblock type set of /etc/hosts entry in the main system, but to get that into the www container you have to manually copy that file into the containers /etc/hosts. Easy when you know how, not so easy/good if you don't know you need to do that or where to copy the file to.

don570

#908 Post by don570 »

New version Easy pyro 0.9.5

I installed it on USB stick. I left it running overnite and when I
touched the USB stick with fingers , the stick was hot.
SAMBA was turned on. Is that the reason or is this the normal behaviour?

don570

#909 Post by don570 »

I was able to install the older gmic plugin 1.7.9 for GIMP for special effects.

Available:
gmic-plugin-64bit-1.7.9.pet
Size 5mb

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sHHf0 ... lBvZ-7aCM7

don570

review of EasyOS Pyro 0.9.5

#910 Post by don570 »

Machine : old lenovo desktop with intel 945 graphics chip
Blender 2.79 won't work with this graphics chip and recent MESA :cry:

samba works ---> I set up server and connected my Raspberry pi 3+ very easily
Mypaint 1.3 works with wacom stylus
cron works --> pschedule job ran on time
ogg audio format works
video and audio files well

Very stable!!
Last edited by don570 on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.

don570

#911 Post by don570 »

Negatives:

Newest mtpaint version is 3.49.13 https://github.com/wjaguar/mtPaint

Launching terminal in a folder isn't possible??

There were duplicate audio files in /usr/share/audio/
and puppy-reference folder.

don570

#912 Post by don570 »

An odd thing I noticed....

I first booted and set a password. When I reached the desktop I set the keyboard to 'dvorak' (just to test). It seemed fine.

I then set the keyboard to 'us' . The keyboard stayed in the dvorak layout even after rebooting.

I checked the file /etc/keymap and it was set to 'us'

After checking around for settings I found that there are variants of keyboard layouts.
I set it to United Kingdom and now my keyboard is back to
a normal layout.

Antipodal

[SOLVED] Problem writing easy-0.9.3-amd64 to a flash drive

#913 Post by Antipodal »

Last Sunday night I visited this thread to see if I could prepare myself to follow Keef's instructions and I discovered Barry's message

Because I'm light-years away from being a a wiz on the Linux command line I decided to make some research about my Tahrpup and my Xenialpup coreutils versions before following Keef's instructions.

When I discovered that Xenial65-7.5's coreutils were newer I decided make a new writing attempt from Xenial and this time I succeeded

I haven't found time to make a detailed description of the steps I took but I'm almost sure you don't need them.
In case you do, let me know and I will try to find my time to please you.

Though the main purpose of this post is to thank Keef and BarryK for their help , l must confess that after my success using Xenial64-7.5 coreutils I downloaded Keef's attachment to /root/Downloads/ to see if I my knowledge would have allowed me to carry out his instructions.

The answer is: it seems it wouldn't.

It also seems that this disability of mine regarding Keef's instructions is a topic for another thread so in case I can't solve it by myself I'll begin another one about the subject.

As always, thank you all for your time.

scsijon

Re: Easy 0.9.5

#914 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:The Xephyr container is a complete desktop, and it should be possible to run the PPM in it and install apps.

You should be able to add a devx sfs to the Xephyr container. It is /mnt/wkg/containers/desk0. If you place the devx sfs in /mnt/wkg/repository/easy-0.9.5/, then run menu Filesystem -> Easy BootManager, you can choose the devx to load in the desk0 container.

However, desk0 is fairly locked down, and I don't know if compiling will work. You might have to ease up on some of the security settings, in /mnt/wkg/containers/desk0/configuration

Regarding a third desktop, I will have to think about it.

EDIT:
This is all so new, hadn't even tried this before. In the Xephyr desktop, which as I have previously stated is a complete desktop in a container, clicked on the "petget" icon to run the PPM, chose "Firefox" from the "oe-pyro" repo, installed it.

After installation, it was in the "Internet" menu, chose it, Firefox works. Yay!

EDIT:
However, the "sfsget" icon in the Xephyr desktop is not going to work. Well, it can download a devx sfs file, but cannot select it to be loaded in the container.

It is necessary to flip out to the main desktop to download the devx sfs and choose for it to be loaded in a container.

This is another to-do area, will probably have to remove the "sfsget" icon from the xephyr desktop.
Thanks for the quick response.

Having had a 'discussion' with a couple of Wayland people since, the third desktop in it's own container is a needed item for testing when building from within a container, apparently they found a lot of package permission build bugs that way and found that most package creators were appreciative when told of the problem found. I know their default system and desktop is different, but it basically works the same way as we would do in a container.

As far as starting a sfs, I hadn't actually planned on loading it from within the container, my worry was whether the devx components would be available for use from within it. However, thinking about it, it would allow bug testing for different fix versions if possible as you could 'jail' the sfs content in the container.

My thoughts at present are along the line of,
the Main Desktop being JWM as usual with full root access and containerless;
Desktop2 as a Zephyr desktop for running apps only, no devx or build access and it is in a Container (also can be used for testing);
and, Desktop3 as a Zephyr (?or maybe a simple?) desktop in it's own container, with nearly full access permissions to allow development and building of apps for use 'FROM WITHIN A CONTAINER ONLY'.

I'm not sure whether this is possible as EASY is configured, but i'm sure it would be a 'nice' package. Maybe the Desktop3 part becomes a sfs itself so those needing it would have it and loaded, but the general user would not.

EDIT: And a thought is that we may have to have some setting to deal with memory availability for running packages in containers anyway otherwise problems with memory and swapspace availability may arrise, or have you already dealt with this problem?

I shall have a look into and further read in/on containers and their settings.

OH, and for the Quatro k2200 problem try adding

Code: Select all

rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modset=0
, to the grub startup line, as Nvidia did some changes about v378. A lot of linux's have complained as it's forcing autoloading if it's there, even if you are set for nv . There is also https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-insta ... index.html if absolutely necessary.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#915 Post by BarryK »

rufwoof wrote: When I'm in the desk container and Menu/Shutdown it goes black screen and when I alt-F6 it flips to the main (normal) session, but still shows a Desk icon in the tray. Have to right click and close that. Perhaps I should be shutting down the Desk container some other way???

My intention is that you just leave the Xephyr desktop running. I intend to remove the "Shutdown" entries from the menu.

Back on the main desktop, you can flip back at anytime to the Xephyr desktop by either clicking on the "desk" icon, or in the taskbar.

Yes, I have been shutting it down by right-click and choose "kill".

The advantage of leaving it running, is there is no delay when you want to use it again.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#916 Post by BarryK »

tigs wrote:
BarryK wrote:

thanks
Thanks Barry.

No, the "nv" driver does not work either. It doesn't matter if I boot to command line only or automatic boot up. It will end up in the command line. the "x" wont start. I have tried to reboot as some of the modes requires rebooting/ No difference.

So far the only versions of easy os that works with this nvidia card are 0.9 modesetting and 0.9.2.
Ah, I wonder...

I have just today created a Quirky aarch64 for my RPi3, and first attempt, X failed to start. It is supposed to be using the 'fbdev' Xorg driver, but tried to load the "intel" driver then failed.

In my RPi3 Quirky, I removed this file (then X worked):

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-sna.conf
Bootup to commandline, don't start X, and rename that file:

# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-sna.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-sna.confHIDE
Then:

# xwin
Or, failing that:

# xorgwizard

BarryK
Puppy Master

#917 Post by BarryK »

rufwoof wrote:Hmm! Run Desk container (which I believe has a similar config as the www container). Run gparted. Change the label ... and accepted !!! Looking at capsh --print containers aren't isolated enough IMO. Conceptually a browser flaw could result in ransomware. With SeaMonkey/FireFox relatively poor privsep (Chrome is much better) !!! If so with disk, most likely also with memory. Perhaps a heap spraying exploit.

Also having seamonkey in the 'secure desktop' (main desktop) ??? Generally a secure desktop is self contained, only the OS. External facing should be separated from that. When so you can keep your data securely within that. On my OpenBSD setup I use tmux and have ranger as one of the tmux windows. Enough for general data management. And root ownership/running. For browsing that runs under a user userid, where the file/folder permissions prevent access to data and OS. Iridium browser (Chrome with much of the undesired pulled out, additional security added in) that does privsep properly. OK to have the browser in the main sfs so that a read only is transposed into containers, but shouldn't be run in the main session.

EasyOS is impressive and "getting there", but a way to go yet IMO. Perhaps making the main/root session more of just a data and management level, sys admin, create containers, storage of data - "secure desktop". Relatively little in the way of 'third party' programs run within that. Containers for the rest (and more locked down), watching videos, browser, mail ...etc. Leaving it for the user to decide what files might be moved across to the secure desktop.

Another observation, running pup ad block installs a adblock type set of /etc/hosts entry in the main system, but to get that into the www container you have to manually copy that file into the containers /etc/hosts. Easy when you know how, not so easy/good if you don't know you need to do that or where to copy the file to.
Yeah, I have been running various ideas through my head.

Qubes OS uses virtual machines rather than containers, but apart from that, their concepts are applicable to a container-based system. They run the main desktop with NO network access, but full local hardware access. Only certain VMs have network access.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#918 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:New version Easy pyro 0.9.5

I installed it on USB stick. I left it running overnite and when I
touched the USB stick with fingers , the stick was hot.
SAMBA was turned on. Is that the reason or is this the normal behaviour?

I haven't had any problem with USB sticks getting hot, and I have sometimes left them running for days, doing compiling, using all CPU cores.

I ran a very recent EasyOS booted off usb-stick, for 28 hours on my Mele mini-PC, doing a OpenEmbedded compile.

Do you have one of those tiny button USB sticks? They get hot anyway.

Regarding Samba, it is on my to do list to consider removing it completely from EasyOS. The reason is, EasyShare can be designed to share files, and share printers, with other PCs, including Windows PCs, without needing Samba.

I did get as far as seeing that this looked feasible, but at that time left development of EasyShare. But, will come back to it. Samba is a big bloated thing, would be happy if it is gone.
Last edited by BarryK on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Easy 0.9.5

#919 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:Having had a 'discussion' with a couple of Wayland people since, the third desktop in it's own container is a needed item for testing when building from within a container, apparently they found a lot of package permission build bugs that way and found that most package creators were appreciative when told of the problem found. I know their default system and desktop is different, but it basically works the same way as we would do in a container.

As far as starting a sfs, I hadn't actually planned on loading it from within the container, my worry was whether the devx components would be available for use from within it. However, thinking about it, it would allow bug testing for different fix versions if possible as you could 'jail' the sfs content in the container.

My thoughts at present are along the line of,
the Main Desktop being JWM as usual with full root access and containerless;
Desktop2 as a Zephyr desktop for running apps only, no devx or build access and it is in a Container (also can be used for testing);
and, Desktop3 as a Zephyr (?or maybe a simple?) desktop in it's own container, with nearly full access permissions to allow development and building of apps for use 'FROM WITHIN A CONTAINER ONLY'.

I'm not sure whether this is possible as EASY is configured, but i'm sure it would be a 'nice' package. Maybe the Desktop3 part becomes a sfs itself so those needing it would have it and loaded, but the general user would not.

EDIT: And a thought is that we may have to have some setting to deal with memory availability for running packages in containers anyway otherwise problems with memory and swapspace availability may arrise, or have you already dealt with this problem?
Yes, three desktops setup that way is doable.

Each desktop has the entire working partition available, there is no limitation due to being in a container.

In the Xephyr desktop, the "freemem applet" is in the tray, which shows free storage, the same as the main desktop.

rufwoof

#920 Post by rufwoof »

BarryK wrote:
rufwoof wrote: When I'm in the desk container and Menu/Shutdown it goes black screen and when I alt-F6 it flips to the main (normal) session, but still shows a Desk icon in the tray. Have to right click and close that. Perhaps I should be shutting down the Desk container some other way???

My intention is that you just leave the Xephyr desktop running. I intend to remove the "Shutdown" entries from the menu.

Back on the main desktop, you can flip back at anytime to the Xephyr desktop by either clicking on the "desk" icon, or in the taskbar.

Yes, I have been shutting it down by right-click and choose "kill".

The advantage of leaving it running, is there is no delay when you want to use it again.
Hi Barry, The disadvantage is that attempts to create a snapshot will complain that it can't as the container is running :)