Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 15 Dec 2019, 19:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Pyro 1.2.9, Buster 2.1.9 December 9, 2019
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 62 of 137 [2046 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, ..., 135, 136, 137 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 04:03    Post subject:  

tigs wrote:
BarryK wrote:
tigs wrote:
unfortunately, I can not get 0.9.5 to recognized my nvidia graphic cards (quadro K2200). is the card ever going to be supported again?

thanks

Does the Xorg "nv" driver work? -- you can bootup to the commandline and run "xorgwizard" to choose it.

Thanks Barry.

No, the "nv" driver does not work either. It doesn't matter if I boot to command line only or automatic boot up. It will end up in the command line. the "x" wont start. I have tried to reboot as some of the modes requires rebooting/ No difference.

So far the only versions of easy os that works with this nvidia card are 0.9 modesetting and 0.9.2.

Ah, I wonder...

I have just today created a Quirky aarch64 for my RPi3, and first attempt, X failed to start. It is supposed to be using the 'fbdev' Xorg driver, but tried to load the "intel" driver then failed.

In my RPi3 Quirky, I removed this file (then X worked):

Code:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-sna.conf

Bootup to commandline, don't start X, and rename that file:

Code:
# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-sna.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-sna.confHIDE

Then:

Code:
# xwin

Or, failing that:

Code:
# xorgwizard

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 04:08    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
Hmm! Run Desk container (which I believe has a similar config as the www container). Run gparted. Change the label ... and accepted !!! Looking at capsh --print containers aren't isolated enough IMO. Conceptually a browser flaw could result in ransomware. With SeaMonkey/FireFox relatively poor privsep (Chrome is much better) !!! If so with disk, most likely also with memory. Perhaps a heap spraying exploit.

Also having seamonkey in the 'secure desktop' (main desktop) ??? Generally a secure desktop is self contained, only the OS. External facing should be separated from that. When so you can keep your data securely within that. On my OpenBSD setup I use tmux and have ranger as one of the tmux windows. Enough for general data management. And root ownership/running. For browsing that runs under a user userid, where the file/folder permissions prevent access to data and OS. Iridium browser (Chrome with much of the undesired pulled out, additional security added in) that does privsep properly. OK to have the browser in the main sfs so that a read only is transposed into containers, but shouldn't be run in the main session.

EasyOS is impressive and "getting there", but a way to go yet IMO. Perhaps making the main/root session more of just a data and management level, sys admin, create containers, storage of data - "secure desktop". Relatively little in the way of 'third party' programs run within that. Containers for the rest (and more locked down), watching videos, browser, mail ...etc. Leaving it for the user to decide what files might be moved across to the secure desktop.

Another observation, running pup ad block installs a adblock type set of /etc/hosts entry in the main system, but to get that into the www container you have to manually copy that file into the containers /etc/hosts. Easy when you know how, not so easy/good if you don't know you need to do that or where to copy the file to.

Yeah, I have been running various ideas through my head.

Qubes OS uses virtual machines rather than containers, but apart from that, their concepts are applicable to a container-based system. They run the main desktop with NO network access, but full local hardware access. Only certain VMs have network access.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 04:15    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
New version Easy pyro 0.9.5

I installed it on USB stick. I left it running overnite and when I
touched the USB stick with fingers , the stick was hot.
SAMBA was turned on. Is that the reason or is this the normal behaviour?

I do seem to recall something about Samba becoming very CPU intensive.

I haven't had any problem with USB sticks getting hot, and I have sometimes left them running for days, doing compiling, using all CPU cores.

I ran a very recent EasyOS booted off usb-stick, for 28 hours on my Mele mini-PC, doing a OpenEmbedded compile.

Do you have one of those tiny button USB sticks? They get hot anyway.

Regarding Samba, it is on my to do list to consider removing it completely from EasyOS. The reason is, EasyShare can be designed to share files, and share printers, with other PCs, including Windows PCs, without needing Samba.

I did get as far as seeing that this looked feasible, but at that time left development of EasyShare. But, will come back to it. Samba is a big bloated thing, would be happy if it is gone.

Last edited by BarryK on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 04:25; edited 1 time in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 04:23    Post subject: Re: Easy 0.9.5  

scsijon wrote:
Having had a 'discussion' with a couple of Wayland people since, the third desktop in it's own container is a needed item for testing when building from within a container, apparently they found a lot of package permission build bugs that way and found that most package creators were appreciative when told of the problem found. I know their default system and desktop is different, but it basically works the same way as we would do in a container.

As far as starting a sfs, I hadn't actually planned on loading it from within the container, my worry was whether the devx components would be available for use from within it. However, thinking about it, it would allow bug testing for different fix versions if possible as you could 'jail' the sfs content in the container.

My thoughts at present are along the line of,
the Main Desktop being JWM as usual with full root access and containerless;
Desktop2 as a Zephyr desktop for running apps only, no devx or build access and it is in a Container (also can be used for testing);
and, Desktop3 as a Zephyr (?or maybe a simple?) desktop in it's own container, with nearly full access permissions to allow development and building of apps for use 'FROM WITHIN A CONTAINER ONLY'.

I'm not sure whether this is possible as EASY is configured, but i'm sure it would be a 'nice' package. Maybe the Desktop3 part becomes a sfs itself so those needing it would have it and loaded, but the general user would not.

EDIT: And a thought is that we may have to have some setting to deal with memory availability for running packages in containers anyway otherwise problems with memory and swapspace availability may arrise, or have you already dealt with this problem?

Yes, three desktops setup that way is doable.

Each desktop has the entire working partition available, there is no limitation due to being in a container.

In the Xephyr desktop, the "freemem applet" is in the tray, which shows free storage, the same as the main desktop.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 09:19    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
rufwoof wrote:

When I'm in the desk container and Menu/Shutdown it goes black screen and when I alt-F6 it flips to the main (normal) session, but still shows a Desk icon in the tray. Have to right click and close that. Perhaps I should be shutting down the Desk container some other way???

So far that's all I've found, generally seems to be working well.

My intention is that you just leave the Xephyr desktop running. I intend to remove the "Shutdown" entries from the menu.

Back on the main desktop, you can flip back at anytime to the Xephyr desktop by either clicking on the "desk" icon, or in the taskbar.

Yes, I have been shutting it down by right-click and choose "kill".

The advantage of leaving it running, is there is no delay when you want to use it again.

Hi Barry, The disadvantage is that attempts to create a snapshot will complain that it can't as the container is running Smile

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
tigs

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 14:26    Post subject:  

This is fantastic! it worked! boot to command line, rename that file, start xwin! that is it!

I am so happy! I have been waiting a version that can eventually solve this problem. Here comes the trick!

Thank you very much, Barry!

BarryK wrote:
tigs wrote:
BarryK wrote:
tigs wrote:
unfortunately, I can not get 0.9.5 to recognized my nvidia graphic cards (quadro K2200). is the card ever going to be supported again?

thanks

Does the Xorg "nv" driver work? -- you can bootup to the commandline and run "xorgwizard" to choose it.

Thanks Barry.

No, the "nv" driver does not work either. It doesn't matter if I boot to command line only or automatic boot up. It will end up in the command line. the "x" wont start. I have tried to reboot as some of the modes requires rebooting/ No difference.

So far the only versions of easy os that works with this nvidia card are 0.9 modesetting and 0.9.2.

Ah, I wonder...

I have just today created a Quirky aarch64 for my RPi3, and first attempt, X failed to start. It is supposed to be using the 'fbdev' Xorg driver, but tried to load the "intel" driver then failed.

Code:

Code:
# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-sna.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-sna.confHIDE

Then:

Code:
# xwin

Or, failing that:

Code:
# xorgwizard
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 20:55    Post subject:  

tigs wrote:
This is fantastic! it worked! boot to command line, rename that file, start xwin! that is it!

I am so happy! I have been waiting a version that can eventually solve this problem. Here comes the trick!

Thank you very much, Barry!

BarryK wrote:
tigs wrote:
BarryK wrote:
tigs wrote:

thanks

Thanks Barry.

Ah, I wonder...

Code:

Code:

Then:

Code:
# xwin

Or, failing that:

Code:
# xorgwizard

That's good news!

The problem is, all my PCs have Intel video, so I never realised that file is causing trouble for those with other video cards.

I do have one Radeon video card, but not being used.

Cu Chulinux

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 21:48    Post subject:  

So I installed easy 0.9.5 to a usb and it is working fine.

Then I upgraded the easy 0.9.4 on my hd and it is not booting X. It seems to not be running dbus from the messages I am getting.

Maybe too many changes to upgrade.

I will continue testing from usb for now. Currently running firefox in a separate container in 0.9.5
don570

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul 2018, 16:54    Post subject:  

Quote:
Do you have one of those tiny button USB sticks? They get hot anyway.

My USB stick has a metal casing which transfers the heat better than plastic.

Quote:
Regarding Samba, it is on my to do list to consider removing it completely from EasyOS. The reason is, EasyShare can be designed to share files, and share printers, with other PCs, including Windows PCs, without needing Samba.

There is no need for Samba to be included.
However X11VNC is useful for people
using linux in headless machines and a VNC viewer is important for linux.
Fatdog linux has a VNC viewer that I find useful.

I noticed PUPTOOLS is available in the repository but shouldn't 'getlocalip'
be always available inside OS?? I don't believe it is currently installed.

In case you haven't notice

Quote:
maru-0.6" (based on lineage-15.1 / Android 8 ) is now available for testing
scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul 2018, 19:06    Post subject: Volume Mute tick  

Came across this little problem, not sure what could be done though.

Went into a Zephyr Desktop session and turned the volume off by ticking Mute as the background music I had on to test audio between desktops was running as I have had problems with useable buffering on my test box before, and It stopped.

Changed back to my JWM desktop (haven't installed ff to the Zephyr Desktop on that box yet) and needed to use audio for an online report I needed to watch, so went to the audio control having forgotten I had turned it off from Zephyr, expecting it to be ticked, it wasn't, but when I ticked that mute my audio came on again.

Seems the audio controls arn't containerised (can't really expect it when I thought about it), but the tick is.

Went overt to my normal online computer (puppy521) and tried it out between jwm desktops (Alt+1/Alt+3) on that with the same result, so it's not Easy but something we have inherited from earlier puppy's.

As I said, not sure what can be done, but a problem to think about in the near future, especially with multiple streaming and online face to face connections becoming the norm. We don't want an all or none on audio.
rameshiyer

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul 2018, 03:22    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro 0.9.5
Subject description: No booting - Frugal Installation.

EasyOs Pyro 0.9.5 is not loading ( frugal Installation). I don't know the exact cause of the problem. In one occasion, after stopping the scrolling by control C, I have tried xwin and xorgwizard in command prompt. Still no desktop.
Cu Chulinux

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul 2018, 07:11    Post subject:  

rameshiyir, did you install from scratch or upgrade a previous version? I upgraded a previous version (0.9.4) and had same issues.

I plan on trying a fresh install later today to see how that goes.
rameshiyer

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jul 2018, 00:07    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro 0.9.5
Subject description: Not booting - Frugal Install

I have installed after deleting the entire folder/container in the Easy folder and copies 3 files. Shall required to format the partition?.
Cu Chulinux

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jul 2018, 08:23    Post subject:  

Did you delete the .session folder? It is normally hidden and it contains all the customisations and additions you've made to the OS.

I deleted the relevant folders from 0.9.4 (actually I just moved them to a temporary location) and got Easy 0.9.5 to boot from hd but I cannot get any containers to run - including the new desktop.

Next step is to install from scratch in a new partition to see what happens

Edit ...

Ok, the containers just started about 10 minutes after first clicking. That did not happen when running from USB.
don570

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jul 2018, 13:20    Post subject:  

I was able to control my raspberry pi3+ (with fatdogarm) from Easy pyro 0.9.5
using Real VNC viewer (already compiled)

Download:
https://www.realvnc.com/download/file/viewer.files/VNC-Viewer-6.18.625-Linux-x64.deb

Instructions:
1) Find Raspberry pi address and SSH there for example
Code:
ssh root@192.168.1.103

2) launch x11vnc in terminal --> 'x11vnc'
3) use vnc viewer --> address and window number is all that is needed

Code:
192.168.1.103:0

Raspberry pi desktop will appear in a window (see image)

Viewed   287 Time(s)

screenshot-easy-vncviewer.jpg

Page 62 of 137 [2046 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, ..., 135, 136, 137 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: