Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 17 Aug 2018, 10:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Pyro 0.9.6 (August 5), Beaver 0.9.2 (May 15), 2018
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 63 of 66 [977 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul 2018, 03:11    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
I noticed PUPTOOLS is available in the repository but shouldn't 'getlocalip'
be always available inside OS?? I don't believe it is currently installed.

Oops, forgot about it. 'getlocalip' will be in the next release.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul 2018, 05:54    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
I was able to control my raspberry pi3+ (with fatdogarm) from Easy pyro 0.9.5

Perhaps also try X forwarding over ssh

ssh -X root@192.168.1.103

and run something like mtpaint on the rPi to see the window appear on your local box.

Copy files using scp, similar to normal cp format, but where you prefix filenames with user:IP:

scp somefile root@192.168.1.103:/home/user/somefile
or
scp root@192.168.1.103:/home/user/somefile somefile

sshfs is nice if you can get it working, mount a remote filesystem to a local mount point (folder/directory).

@G@tA

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul 2018, 08:56    Post subject:  

Hi all,

what is the root password for Pyro 0.9.5?

I've started SSHD on it and allowed root login. But woofwoof as password wont apply. Also the password from beginning at boot doesn't apply.

Yes I'm aware that running everything as root is non secured method but I have a strict FW rules applied.

PS. I'm pretty new to containers so I cant figure out how to run things thru container and host my application over local network Sad
lp-dolittle

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2018, 04:45    Post subject: root-password in EasyOS  

Hi @G@tA

on my Laptop, running EasyOS Pyro 0.9.5, the well-known root-password settings work as usual!

kind regards
lp-dolittle

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2018, 05:28    Post subject: XKB Configuration Manager interferes with Containerizing
Subject description: latent XKB Configuration Manager bug still not fixed?

@ Barry

as it seems, specific keyboard-layout settings via XKB which work in the EasyOS main desktop interfere with the containerized desktop.

After setting Swiss German keyboard-layout, and being required to activate the 'any of the alt-keys' option in the XKB third level chooser (in order to evoke @), in the containerized desktop the - intended - Alt-F6 flip results in a non-responsive screen. The only way to cope with the problem finally is pressing the power button.

When I first leave the default keyboard-layout (US American) unchanged, then set the third level chooser in XKB to 'right alt-key' and finally set SG keyboard-layout in the QuickSetup screen, the Alt-F6 option in the containerized desktop works, but in the containerized sakura the keyboard layout differs from that in the main desktop.

might there still be an unfixed bug in QuickSetup or XKB?

kind regards
lp-dolittle

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2018, 05:54    Post subject: initial EasyOS password
Subject description: potential keyboard-layout confusion

@ Barry,

maybe, it should be mentioned that the setting of the initial EasyOS password, irrespective of the keyboard's layout, always follows the US American default. Later changes of the keyboard setting do not affect this setting but may create confusion since the booting OS asks for 'the correct sequence of keyboard hits' and not for the characters and symbols which the user saw when the password was set, and whose location, on a non-US keyboard now may have changed!

Furthermore, I realised that at bootup, during password-toggling, wrongly set characters cannot be deleted. Every hit - also hitting the delete-key - results in the addition of a *.

kind regards
don570

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jul 2018, 19:37    Post subject:  

Quote:
Copy files using scp, similar to normal cp format, but where you prefix filenames with user:IP:

scp somefile root@192.168.1.103:/home/user/somefile
or
scp root@192.168.1.103:/home/user/somefile somefile

smbclient also has ability to transfer a single file over network,
but it is more complex. It uses 'put' command.

Quote:

Use smbclient, a program that comes with Samba:

$ smbclient //server/share -c 'cd c:/remote/path ; put local-file'
There are many flags, such as -U to allow the remote user name to be different from the local one.

On systems that split Samba into multiple binary packages, you may have the Samba servers installed yet still be missing smbclient. In such a case, check your package repository for a package named smbclient, samba-client, or similar.

EDIT:

ssh -X root@192.168.1.103 does work!!

Also 'scp' command

Last edited by don570 on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 19:58; edited 3 times in total
scsijon

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul 2018, 18:41    Post subject: smb client?  

have a look at mike's python smb/cifs workhttps://miketeo.net/wp/index.php/projects/pysmb, it may be of use. And ignore the no longer maintained note Laughing he is still p[laying with it.

I had thought of ecifs but that is not suitable even though it's for embeded systems it's not g.
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug 2018, 09:15    Post subject: Possible Bug?  

Hi Barry,

Possible BUG to report.

0.9.5 Easy

Network Tray Icon --- impossible to "Disconnect from Network" as a right-click option. Nothing happens.

Also, if you physically unplug the network cable from your machine/laptop---the tray icon still assumes it is connected (this despite wi-fi is not enabled nor in the picture).

This "bug" has happened with Easy 0.9.5 across several intel & amd platforms. For those that like to "work-offline", this bug is a bit of a pain.

Thanks.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug 2018, 09:32    Post subject:  

@G@tA wrote:
Hi all,

what is the root password for Pyro 0.9.5?

I've started SSHD on it and allowed root login. But woofwoof as password wont apply. Also the password from beginning at boot doesn't apply.

Yes I'm aware that running everything as root is non secured method but I have a strict FW rules applied.

PS. I'm pretty new to containers so I cant figure out how to run things thru container and host my application over local network Sad

Hmmm, I can't remember what password I set for root. I think it is still "woofwoof"

There is a new user, zeus, home folder is /home/zeus, password is set same as the decryption password at bootup.

I should do the same for root. Will add that to the to-do list now.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug 2018, 11:09    Post subject:  

You're logged in as root anyway, so just run passwd and enter your own choice. Same for other userid's just run passwd zeus ... or whatever to set the password for those userids. That is simple good practice/policy anyway.
Antipodal

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2018, 01:54    Post subject: Gnumeric on EasyOS Pyro 0.9.5
Subject description: Is there some way to easily edit these traditional spreadsheets?

Sorry for asking this... but I can't find a way of solving this problem by myself. Sad
DanielSong39

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2018, 06:14    Post subject:  

Is it possible to install abiword or gnumeric?

I noticed that Quirky dropped support for these two programs past version 8.0, and I was wondering whether it was the same story for EasyOS.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2018, 11:06    Post subject:  

After having run passwd and changed the root password I added video=800x600 to the default kernel boot parameter i.e. sdd1 syslinux.cfg entry for the normal (default) now looks like

label normal
menu label Normal startup
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.q rw video=800x600

Which is a nicer for me resolution for the ctrl-alt-Fn consoles.

Rebooted and installed mc from ppm and did my usual tweaks of setting the left pane to be a tree, non equal split of panes and narrowed down that left pane, set gotar theme, set to use lynx-like navigation (so up/down arrow through a directory, left/right arrows to move up/down directories) ... and generally running nice under a console, however F1 through F5 keys seem to be dead. F4 for instance should launch mc editor, but it doesn't (mc -e i.e. editor works fine if run directly).

rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2018, 12:14    Post subject:  

Tried running EasyOS X as userid rover, along the lines of https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Non_root_Xorg

Concept of using root for cli/mc only (I'd also add tmux if things worked well) for data/docs/admin, alongside X running under a restricted userid (rover - for internet facing) and ctrl-alt-Fn between the root and rover sessions as required.

Getting there, but not quite there yet. Think I've screwed up my SD/MMC configuration to the level where I really need to re-dd and resume another day with a clean copy of EasyOS.

Page 63 of 66 [977 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: