DpupBuster with Mate-1.24.0 desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
josejp2424

DpupBuster with Mate-1.24.0 desktop environment

#1 Post by josejp2424 »

Hello, I was away for a while, but I’m back.
I’m a mate user and when I saw the new release 1.24, I was eager to try it, so I downloaded the sources, and compiled it.

There is an error in the systray, the icons are not displayed correctly, mate 1.24 uses python3, and gtk3, the issues must be there, however I don't know if you have had the same problems in other systems. The icons for things such as the freemapplet_tray, or the netmon_wce overlap each other.

puppy mate
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dpup/f ... 072020.iso
Last edited by josejp2424 on Wed 08 Jul 2020, 18:54, edited 5 times in total.

peebee

Re: Mate-1.24.0 ( error in mate-desktop-1.24.0 )

#2 Post by peebee »

josejp2424 wrote:There is an error in the systray, the icons are not displayed correctly, mate 1.24 uses python3, and gtk3, the issues must be there, however I don't know if you have had the same problems in other systems. The icons for things such as the freemapplet_tray, or the netmon_wce overlap each other.
Not quite the same but similar....

I am having systray icon problems with LXQt running on BionicPup64..... no icons at all appear apart from a few pixels from the retrovol icon.

I suspect svg rendering but can't get any error messages to say why.... icons display fine everywhere else other than systray.

I did get some errors in /tmp/xerrs.log from netmon_wce which needed a recompile to fix - 01micko is looking into this.

The same build of LXQt on ScPup64 works fine so it may be the age of some library in BP64?
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

josejp2424

Re: Mate-1.24.0 ( error in mate-desktop-1.24.0 )

#3 Post by josejp2424 »

peebee wrote:
josejp2424 wrote:There is an error in the systray, the icons are not displayed correctly, mate 1.24 uses python3, and gtk3, the issues must be there, however I don't know if you have had the same problems in other systems. The icons for things such as the freemapplet_tray, or the netmon_wce overlap each other.
Not quite the same but similar....

I am having systray icon problems with LXQt running on BionicPup64..... no icons at all appear apart from a few pixels from the retrovol icon.

I suspect svg rendering but can't get any error messages to say why.... icons display fine everywhere else other than systray.

I did get some errors in /tmp/xerrs.log from netmon_wce which needed a recompile to fix - 01micko is looking into this.

The same build of LXQt on ScPup64 works fine so it may be the age of some library in BP64?
thanks peebee for responding.
I have the same suspicion as you.
Because the problems I have are with network-ce, firewallstatus and freemapplet.
i don't have problems with the ones who use yad.

Terry H

#4 Post by Terry H »

Downloaded and manual frugal install to internal ssd. I've been playing with it for much of the day. I really like this puppy with Mate, which is generally working very well. The Control Centre is very well done. All software tested so far working well. As an alpha release it is excellent work.

The main issues encountered have been with panel items not working as expected:

- Right clicking on the Clock, then Preferences causes the clock to crash, so the clock can not be changed.

- Weather applet does not work, missing locations xml, so unable to select location. In checking I noticed that the libmateweather is still at version 1.20. Not sure if this matters.

- Add to Panel.. > 'Application Launcher' does not work. When attempting to select an application the add button is not active (greyed out). The 'Custom Application Launchers', does work, so this can be used as a work around.

Thank you for your contributions to puppy.

Edit: This is probably associated with systray issues. When deadbeef is used, an icon is placed over the top of other icons in the systray.
Attachments
Control-ctr.png
Screenshot of Control Centre
(96.72 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

josejp2424

#5 Post by josejp2424 »

Terry H wrote:Downloaded and manual frugal install to internal ssd. I've been playing with it for much of the day. I really like this puppy with Mate, which is generally working very well. The Control Centre is very well done. All software tested so far working well. As an alpha release it is excellent work.

The main issues encountered have been with panel items not working as expected:

- Right clicking on the Clock, then Preferences causes the clock to crash, so the clock can not be changed.

- Weather applet does not work, missing locations xml, so unable to select location. In checking I noticed that the libmateweather is still at version 1.20. Not sure if this matters.

- Add to Panel.. > 'Application Launcher' does not work. When attempting to select an application the add button is not active (greyed out). The 'Custom Application Launchers', does work, so this can be used as a work around.

Thank you for your contributions to puppy.

Edit: This is probably associated with systray issues. When deadbeef is used, an icon is placed over the top of other icons in the systray.
Hi, Terry H.
Regarding libweater if it matters, that it has version 1.24, it was an oversight on my part.

With regard to the watch I didn't realize I had that problem.

to add programs to the panel if it is locked. but you can drag programs from the /usr/share/applications folder.
or you can use custom applications.

thank you very much for testing the iso

Terry H

#6 Post by Terry H »

josejp2424 wrote: ...you can drag programs from the /usr/share/applications folder.
Thanks for this advice, works well.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Is Mate a Puppy derivative or what? Is there an existing discussion thread for Mate?

Terry H

#8 Post by Terry H »

Flash wrote:Is Mate a Puppy derivative or what? Is there an existing discussion thread for Mate?
Mate is a Desktop Environment. This is a BusterPup64 derivative using Mate DE. This is a valid new Puppy derivative.

petihar

#9 Post by petihar »

Hello josejp2424,

Thank you very much for this nice work, really I love this Dpup with mate. I just had a good time "playing" with it and I didn't notice any bug. I use the "fr" interface and it's almost totally translated... great!
I have installed vlc 3.0.8, brave-browser portable from Mike Walsh and LibreOffice-fresh.standard-x86_64.AppImage .... it all works like and also the bluetooth with which I'm currently playing music on my stereo.
In short, I will continue to "play" with this little gem that I really like :D
Regards petihar

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

josejp2424

mate-1.24.0

#10 Post by josejp2424 »

petihar wrote:Hello josejp2424,

Thank you very much for this nice work, really I love this Dpup with mate. I just had a good time "playing" with it and I didn't notice any bug. I use the "fr" interface and it's almost totally translated... great!
I have installed vlc 3.0.8, brave-browser portable from Mike Walsh and LibreOffice-fresh.standard-x86_64.AppImage .... it all works like and also the bluetooth with which I'm currently playing music on my stereo.
In short, I will continue to "play" with this little gem that I really like :D
Regards petihar

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Thank you, Petihar.
the problem right now is in the systray.
But I'm glad it worked out well for you.

peebee

#11 Post by peebee »

Eventually tracked down the cause of my problems with the LXQt systray....

Changing the video driver cured the problem!

Or rather, dropping out to the console and running xorgwizard and changing the video driver to automatic made the systray icons spring into life.

Maybe try changing your video driver with Mate?

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

@Flash and all who may wonder what Maté is:

It's a desktop environment (DE) forked from the discontinued Gnome 2 environment.
A desktop environment is a window manager with extras (long explanation short).

Please see here for more about it.

Every once and a while a Puppy developer dresses up a Puppy with this environment.
IIRC, former forum members jejy69 and dejan555 tried their hand at it a few years ago.

The correct pronunciation is "matay" and not "mate" (like the synonym of "buddy") owing
to the fact that the Maté fork originated in South America. Maté is an infused drink as
popular there as tea or coffee are here, in the Northern hemisphere.
Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat%C3%A9_%28drink%29 and at bottom of
previous URL reference.

Regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

josejp2424

icons tray

#13 Post by josejp2424 »

peebee wrote:Eventually tracked down the cause of my problems with the LXQt systray....

Changing the video driver cured the problem!

Or rather, dropping out to the console and running xorgwizard and changing the video driver to automatic made the systray icons spring into life.

Maybe try changing your video driver with Mate?

Cheers
peebee
Thank you, peebee.
but your advice didn't work on this case.

josejp2424

mate-1.24.0

#14 Post by josejp2424 »

thanks nilsonmorales for the wallapers

new iso.
Library errors were corrected. And some minor details

systray icon error continue.
the problem is between cairo, gtk .
the same problem is present in arch, ubuntu, gentoo and other distros

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dpup/f ... -beta1.iso

josejp2424

dpupbuster-mate

#15 Post by josejp2424 »

new beta,
added the linux mint menu.
fixed problem with gfvs and python3.

Dpupbuster Mate 1.24

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dpup/f ... 072020.iso
Last edited by josejp2424 on Mon 06 Jul 2020, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

d4p

#16 Post by d4p »

No X

josejp2424

mediafire

#17 Post by josejp2424 »

the mediafire download tells me it's wrong.
link removed