XPuppy Pro for Download

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gliezl

XPuppy Pro for Download

#1 Post by gliezl »

Some forum members would like to see my .jwmrc/fvwm95 files, well guys, here is now what your looking for. :-)
Get the ISO. See screenshot

mirror sites:
http://htb65.de/puppylinux/puppy-releas ... pup202.iso
http://htb65.de/puppylinux/puppy-releas ... so.md5.txt

http://puptrix.org/isos/pup202.iso
http://puptrix.org/isos/pup202.iso.md5.txt

A million thanks to Mark [MU] & Ted:-D

inside this iso;
JWM & FVWM95
007 Blowfish
HCF/SL modem package
icons look-alike XP
with memtest at boot-up (im not that sure)
Last edited by gliezl on Thu 14 Sep 2006, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

kelewax

#2 Post by kelewax »

Hi
Please could you give a description of this iso?
Which of the favours of your Lord can you deny?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

:)
Nice

It is more familiar in fvwm95 and I bet that is still very reliable compared to JWM - I always switched to fvwm95 for about 3 or 4 versions of Puppy after JWM became the default . . .

Nice to see my simple 2 line encryption of single files in there 'blowfish 007'

Also included a nice 'world from space' desktop image to choose.

People used to XP might feel more comfortable with the fvwm95 icons and XPuppy Professional familiarity

The rest is all Puppy 2.02 . . .

I think I would use IceVista2 theme, also very reliable, on top of Puppy Gold with Firefox from pupget but that is me.

However I would lose the familair XP icons that Gliezl has collected and included.

The Gxine in this version is more reliable - so if that is important, this is a great ISO download.

Gliezl also created a 1.09CE and 2.02 distro booting from one boot up.

Good to see how people are sharing and uploading, many thanks ;)
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 14 Sep 2006, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

it is not hard to encrypt a file system using bcrypt

i cleaned up a script i've had for a while, and made it into a demo ... see: bcrypt a file system demo

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

gliezl,

you mention that your iso has the hcf modem package. is this a speed limited version(14.4 kbps) or 56k, and if the latter, how did you get it to work with 2.02 kernel.

regards
muggins

jam

Lindows XP

#6 Post by jam »

gliezl,

This looks wayyyyyyy too much like Windoze. You should be getting a letter from Microsoft's attorneys soon - just ask Lindows - I mean Linspire! :lol:

Well done!
Jam

ricstef

XPuppy

#7 Post by ricstef »

Gliezl,
I like it !! ... right from the Start button and on ...
Richard. :lol:

ARAN

#8 Post by ARAN »

Hello gliezl !

The Screenshot looks realy awesome.

Can you say please if XPuppy Pro use as default the Double Click for starting application on the Desktop.
I need this information for future puppy linux recomandments to my friends.
Double Click is more easy for new User then Single Click.
It looks like i will recommend XPuppy Pro more than other Puppy Versions for totally linux newbees from now.

One Question at last.
Do you have interest to write a step by step instruction how to build XPuppy Pro from scratch.
Such a howto will bring XPuppy Pro more developers and testers how help improve and test this awsome looking Pup.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Greetings ARAN.

rarsa

#9 Post by rarsa »

ARAN wrote:Double Click is more easy for new User then Single Click.
You are kidding, isn't it?

I've worked with new users for many years and the single most anoying thing for them is learning the double click, specially the older new users.

They always double click either too fast or two slow or drag the mouse between clicks.

Then there is the fact that even when it's configured with double clicking there are operations that require a single click and they endup double clicking (buttons, menus, browsing, etc).

After I show them how to configure windows to use single click they never go back. The interface becomes consistent. One click for whatever they want to do.

Ups, Gliezl, sorry for hijacking your thread. If someone want's to continue this conversation, let's open another thread.

gliezl
Altough even my windows does not look like windows, I appreciate that many people really feel comfortable with a 'known' appearence.

In any case, it seems that you are having fun customizing Puppy and that is the most important part of this all. Being your goal to have a look-alike desktop, you are very close to achieving that.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

jus407

#10 Post by jus407 »

man i missed out on being the first to post. DARN! o well i have been playing around with it for a few days now and it seems to be pretty nice although when you restart the fwm95 settings it doesnt reload the xp theme, hmm... i even reset the theme to xp and restarted jwm and it reset it to the puppy look (with a few things still the same) but overall nice really nice!

jus407

Re: Lindows XP

#11 Post by jus407 »

jam wrote:gliezl,

This looks wayyyyyyy too much like Windoze. You should be getting a letter from Microsoft's attorneys soon - just ask Lindows - I mean Linspire! :lol:

Well done!
thats another thing i was conserned about im sure you broke atleast 15 copyright laws! lol but whos complaining! its all funny, and for fun! again great work keep it up and maybe we can go in together to make a XPuppy Barebones - barebones puppy with XPuppy theme (but maybe we should lave you any remarks to windows and the like so we dont get sued... lol)

CocoJam

#12 Post by CocoJam »

Ang galing. (Translation: WOW)

Is that really your pic? (Sorry, folks, completely off-topic)

disciple

Great!

#13 Post by disciple »

That looks absolutely superb!
But I have some questions for anybody who can answer them:
What is 007 blowfish?
What exactly have you done to make it like windows? - have you just added FVWM95 and changed the icons and root menu structure, or do you have JWM looking like Windows also?
Do you think we could make a dotpup or something that would do this to any version of Puppy?
Could we alternatively have the icons and .jwmrc/fvwm95 files separately anyway so people can modify their own puppies?

You are a legend, and did you ever reveal how you do those isos with two distros combined?

jus407

#14 Post by jus407 »

007 blowfish is a GUI encryption program
it is 'different' from the change in icons, the way the windows look start menu the way the start menu is organized everything is different just about

richard.a

#15 Post by richard.a »

gliezl what a beautiful distro you have created from Puppy :)

I hope it is okay, I will be messaging you maybe today and asking some questions - is that okay? You may have the answers to several things I have been asking.

And regarding single or double-click mice; I personally prefer single click and agree that brand new users are thoroughly confused with this Microsoft aberration (abomination?), The only caveat I put on that is some laptops are too touchy to use single click, even when you've bust your gut to configure them :)

Richard in Australia
eagle`s on irc.undernet.org
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

richard.a

#16 Post by richard.a »

kelewax wrote:Hi
Please could you give a description of this iso?
Hi,

I think there is a good description here at a special page that was made for those interested in an XP look Puppy :)

Go down to the third lot of screenshots... Enjoy :D
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

richard.a

#17 Post by richard.a »

Hi gliesl,
I've noticed there seems to be occasional (not always) difficulties on not just yours, but all of the three "office" type distros I've tried, if you try to remove the CD so that a music CD or a DVD can be played. I wonder if this is fixable in a config file somewhere? It doesn't seem to be there on standard puppies.

Looking more closely at this beautiful looking distro, perhaps your pointer focus could do with being changed as default? This is because it follows the Unix standard whereas I think the people wanting to migrate to it from Windows could be confused with that method.

I remember in the Windows95 "Power Tools" add-on from the development team, there was the Unix style focus offered, but I've never seen a Windows user use it. I know some (myself included) tried it, but preferred the click to focus (and stay focussed) method.

Another thought. Normally a live puppy will present a list of keyboard choices before you have created a save file.

Perhaps you might consider doing a recompile for the benefit of those who don't use the US keyboard? ... doesn't worry me personally, but European keyboards might present a difficulty when booting it for the first time, live.

I do like it :)

Richard in Australia

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

Maybe you don't have enough ram to load pup_xxx.sfs into ram, so it mounts it from the cd. Try copying that file to the same location as your save-file and then rebooting. It will boot much faster, and then mount it from the harddrive instead of the cd. Then you should be able to remove the disk. If not, something else is the problem.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

marksouth2000

#19 Post by marksouth2000 »

richard.a wrote:...perhaps your pointer focus could do with being changed as default? This is because it follows the Unix standard whereas I think the people wanting to migrate to it from Windows could be confused with that method.
That's a slippery slope there. If people migrate from Windows they are going to have to learn some new skills. Learning never hurt anyone. Actually, it's a good thing. Way better than taking a work of genius like Puppy and dumbing it down to the level of a Microsoft product.

richard.a

#20 Post by richard.a »

Pizzasgood wrote:Maybe you don't have enough ram to load pup_xxx.sfs into ram, so it mounts it from the cd. Try copying that file to the same location as your save-file and then rebooting. It will boot much faster, and then mount it from the harddrive instead of the cd. Then you should be able to remove the disk. If not, something else is the problem.
Perhaps. I would have thought that 512Mb would be enough. I'll look again. The machine was quite old, maybe a more modern one would do better.

Checking the iso sizes for comparison, one can note that gliesl's was 78Mb, not much more than the 73 megs of the 2.02 seamonkey; whereas the other two were 232Mb and 184Mb, so perhaps it's the case there.
marksouth2000 wrote:
richard.a wrote:...perhaps your pointer focus could do with being changed as default? This is because it follows the Unix standard whereas I think the people wanting to migrate to it from Windows could be confused with that method.
That's a slippery slope there. If people migrate from Windows they are going to have to learn some new skills. Learning never hurt anyone. Actually, it's a good thing. Way better than taking a work of genius like Puppy and dumbing it down to the level of a Microsoft product.
I don't see it as dumbing down, because it has been the PuppyLinux default on the small number of Puppy distros I have tried.

I would have have thought that the two modus operandi being so totally different, the standard default would have been used. This way the person can make the conscious choice to go the other route themselves - when and if they are ready to do so.

Isn't there enough difference to be negotiated already (by someone never exposed to other systems) - without adding another one unnecessarily? Do we really want to encourage them to try Linux? Or do we want to keep it a club for geeks?

Could this be a major reason why many other migratory choices have failed? Perhaps we can note the big corporate installations of Linux all make it as basic as they can. Talking Sun and SuSE specifically. And, I'm not being negative. I've listened to Windows users and their comments.

Here is a comparison...
One of the main reasons railway locomotive controls and aircraft controls are basically similar in their own environments is to make it simpler for the operators to "convert" from one version/brand/type/whatever to another with only the essential differences having to be picked up before the operator can be certified as being comfortable with the new elements of their system. Same goes for back-hoe excavators, B-double tractor-trailer rigs, even family cars.

Surely the wheel should never need to be reinvented.

Not really much different for power users of computers in their MO, although I grant you the responsibility for lives is markedly different from that of locomotive drivers and airline pilots.

Productivity is the name of their game. You waste time having to remember that the mouse pointer can't be allowed to move with building or desk vibration - or even gravity - and you will dismiss the product totally out of hand and go back to what you know works. Really.

Just my thoughts. Been there, done that. I'm not a geek. I was raised from 1986 (PC-DOS) through about 1992 (Windows 3.0 and OS/2).