XPuppy Pro for Download

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
richard.a

#46 Post by richard.a »

the latest puppy is version 5.11 (actually 5.1.1) and there is a delightful modification of this called MijnPup (Dutch for "My Pup") which works nicely with JWM customised with OpenBox which looks more like the XFCE desktop mentioned above

It also has Ice-Wm installed so you can use the Ice taskbar which looks more like Vista or XP

It comes with the full open version of OpenOffice called Libre Office loaded.

Runs flash video etc etc
and because it is a modern kernel it will install on old and new hardware.

I'm working on considerable modification of the Application launcher button-bar system and it has huge potential. Nothing worth writing about the alterations except to mention I've put some of his nice stuff from BrowserLinux (by the same developer in Netherlands)

So why don't you try downloading it?
www.browserlinux.com/mijnpup

The page has a flash slide show showing the look, and while the download is large for a puppy, it is smaller trhan a "big" distribution.

I've had it running on two 800MHz processor machines without much RAM, and have a couple of slower ones yet to try on

Richard in Adelaide
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

37fleetwood

#47 Post by 37fleetwood »

well, I got bored and decided to play with Xfce to see how easy it was to make it look like XP. here's what I came up with in less than an hour total.
xubuntu (Xfce) and Gnomenu (some work would be needed in puppy to get Gnomenu working an dependencies met).
I downloaded the wallpaper and Gnomenu came with a silver XP theme.
here are a few screencaps:
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

richard.a

#48 Post by richard.a »

Very impressed 37fleetwood :)

what was the basic system you were using? Assume Xubuntu which may suit a requirement I have for my wife's Acer Aspire laptop

struggling with an Aspire 6930 (orignally Vista Home, did the 7 upgrade for her and that doesn't seem to be an improvement) which I bought for her and she has extreme difficulty with anything that is "different" - her memory retention is very poor, and each replacement laptop - Win95 original, then 98SE, then Me, then 2000, then currently XP Home has had to be identical in menuing etc etc

Richard in Adelaide
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

danrael

Download Links Not Working

#49 Post by danrael »

Dingo wrote:
over_soul wrote:I like it, I want to download it, but the links are inactive... (the core is Puppy Linux, right?)
Can someone give me an active link?
Thanks in advance :)
BTW, how big is it? (Megabytes)
you can download from me (76.11 MB)
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... s:puppy_xp
If the link WAS working, it is no longer available.

What gives with XPuppy Pro? Lots of talk about it, but it is simply not available.

Can you or anyone else kindly provide a good download link?

Thanks in advance.

37fleetwood

#50 Post by 37fleetwood »

richard.a wrote:Very impressed 37fleetwood :)

what was the basic system you were using? Assume Xubuntu which may suit a requirement I have for my wife's Acer Aspire laptop

struggling with an Aspire 6930 (orignally Vista Home, did the 7 upgrade for her and that doesn't seem to be an improvement) which I bought for her and she has extreme difficulty with anything that is "different" - her memory retention is very poor, and each replacement laptop - Win95 original, then 98SE, then Me, then 2000, then currently XP Home has had to be identical in menuing etc etc

Richard in Adelaide
Thank you Richard,
I did start with Xubuntu.
there were 2 reasons, first, I chose Xubuntu because Xcfe is available in puppy, and second I chose it because I'm not knowledgeable enough to get Gnomenu going in Puppy, and getting it going in Xubuntu is pretty easy. someone better at doing these things may be more able to get it going.

I Googled your Acer and it should be able to run regular Ubuntu pretty easy. Gnomenu is designed for Gnome.
my desktop computer is running Ubuntu 11.4 with Gnome and Gnomenu. I don't have it looking like XP however.
there are a bunch of nice looking Gnomenu themes at Gnome-look.org
danrael wrote:If the link WAS working, it is no longer available.

What gives with XPuppy Pro? Lots of talk about it, but it is simply not available.

Can you or anyone else kindly provide a good download link?

Thanks in advance.
I looked through the puplets folder on my machine and I don't have XPuppy Pro.
I don't know what happened to it. but you may have to keep in mind that this thread was started in 2006 and soo much has changed in Puppy since then. this Puplet, if you ever find it, is a Puppy 2 version running fvwm95. you could simply download one of the available Puppy 2s like the new 2.14x and install fvwm95, it's available in the repository.
there also was a fvwm98 version available somewhere that looked like Windows98. I've played with both and wasn't impressed because in the several years since they were hot, so much has happened and so many better options are out there. try one of the NOP puplets you will like them a lot, they're still fresh looking and work really well. (and they're easier to find!)
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

37fleetwood

#51 Post by 37fleetwood »

just a quick post from the virtual machine running xubuntu, I've changed the wallpaper and gnomenu theme, here's what it looks like now.
Attachments
Screenshot5.png
(129.91 KiB) Downloaded 909 times
Screenshot6.png
(104.17 KiB) Downloaded 968 times
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

nooby

#52 Post by nooby »

I am too sleepy to think straight. Richard told us about MijnPup and I did download it and it worked very well on my gear which most puppies don't do.

But how is MijnPup related to XPuppy Pro? I don't get it.

Is MijnPup based on XPuppy Pro? same dev or what?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

CatDude

#53 Post by CatDude »

Hi

I have uploaded a copy of XPuppy Pro
here: Username / Password = puppy / linux

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Eyes-Only

#54 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks Catdude for making this available as it permits me to archive it to DVD later on from my "/BackUp" directory that I keep here on my HDD of assorted "unusual" puplets. :)

Hmm... come to think of it now I wished I could recall the specific thread which I'd read yesterday where someone was actually looking for this exact .iso file! Ah well...

Take care my friend and thanks again! :)

Ciao/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

CatDude

#55 Post by CatDude »

Hello Eyes-Only
Eyes-Only wrote:Thanks Catdude for making this available...
You're most welcome mate.
Eyes-Only wrote:Hmm... come to think of it now I wished I could recall the specific thread which I'd read yesterday where someone was actually looking for this exact .iso file! Ah well...
You are not thinking of this one are you :?: My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours!
where they were asking where they could get the theme.
It was that post that spurred me into uploading the ISO.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Eyes-Only

#56 Post by Eyes-Only »

BINGO! ;) That's it mate! That's the very thread I read be gob! Thanks for refreshing my ever-failing memory - and - for making this available for that person.

Thumbs up Catdude. You're alright in my book my friend, for more reasons than I could ever count, but especially for how quickly and unselfishly you work to help those who need help around here - and all with a smile at that!* :D

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

*Plus I've always admire that avatar of yours with those eyes. LOL!
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*