Fluppy on Eeebox

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
oliverjames

Fluppy on Eeebox

#1 Post by oliverjames »

I can report that Fluppy 013 works really well on an Eeebox 1502.

Thank you Jemimah.

A couple of small gliches to date:
At boot up, Frisbee get an IP and the connection is good but, the taskbar icon has a red barred circle suggesting that something is amiss.
There is a serious lack of available pets through the package manager and no gui to allow alternative repositories to be added.

I've loaded Firefox 10.02, it works but doesn't render pages as intended. Are there missing libraries to install?

And checking dependencies causes the OS to hang terminally.

Meanwhile I've loaded java and libreoffice sfs modules, they appear to work without problems, I've installed Skype, also working without problems.

Any clues for fixing the gliches are most welcome.

jemimah

Re: Fluppy on Eeebox

#2 Post by jemimah »

Saluki is Fluppy's successor, is currently under development, and it has a real repo. You might like to give it a try.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73687
oliverjames wrote:I can report that Fluppy 013 works really well on an Eeebox 1502.

Thank you Jemimah.

A couple of small gliches to date:
At boot up, Frisbee get an IP and the connection is good but, the taskbar icon has a red barred circle suggesting that something is amiss.
There is a serious lack of available pets through the package manager and no gui to allow alternative repositories to be added.

I've loaded Firefox 10.02, it works but doesn't render pages as intended. Are there missing libraries to install?

And checking dependencies causes the OS to hang terminally.

Meanwhile I've loaded java and libreoffice sfs modules, they appear to work without problems, I've installed Skype, also working without problems.

Any clues for fixing the gliches are most welcome.

oliverjames

#3 Post by oliverjames »

Thanks Jemima, Its nice. First impression v good. XFCE has been my preferred desktop for many years.

Biggest glich, my keyboard settings, Swiss-French, are not completely mapped so useful punctuation and the "at" for email are currently not obvious.

And this version is a little slower to boot than Fluppy-013 on the same eeebox while not recognizing my bluetooth dongle at all.

Cheers.Oliverjames

jemimah

#4 Post by jemimah »

Did you install the bluetooth pets from the repo?

Also have you tried setting the keyboard map in the Control Panel under Keyboard Settings->Layout? There's a few more options to pick from there.

oliverjames

#5 Post by oliverjames »

Well, my Saluki experience just gets better and better.

The Bluetooth issue was solved by doing as you suggested. I can now send files to my Android via Bluetooth. Purely academic exercise of course as it's still quicker to plug it in as a usb disk, but you never know.

The keyboard mapping was finally solved by adding the Keyboard layouts application to the XFCE toolbar, adding the CH-Fr map then deleting the initially chosen German Quertz setting (CH-Fr not being available).

I am now looking at an incredibly functional, attractive and easy to read desktop;
- with added icons to launch Firefox, Find, Skype and Lightsword,
- a folder containing desktop launchers for all my favourite radio stations,
while listening to a near cd quality music stream via VLC, outputing to an FiiO external usb soundcard and then to my antique Quad hifi. Pure pleasure.

My dear friend and associate passed by and was heard muttering that he would try this and may also adopt it as his favourite Linux OS, coming from a dyed in the wool Fedora man, that's no small achievement!

The only thing I'm trying to resolve now is how to configure the desktop so that icons are activated by one click. Any ideas?

That aside, I'm hooked. This very recent kernel is working superbly through the Atom chip running this Eeebox.

Thanks again Jemima.

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

Unfortunately, xfdesktop doesn't have a single click option. Maybe in the next release. :(

oliverjames

#7 Post by oliverjames »

That's OK, I can live with the double click. More problematic is the inability to write to a legacy NTFS partition.

The machine in question came with Win7 and a large data partition which acquired many Gbytes of Audio files. I soon tired of the annoying Win7 and removed it but haven't yet found the time to backup the NTFS partition and convert it.

Before Saluki I was happily using Puppy 5.2.8 (JWM). This would write to NTFS but Saluki, with XFCE won't. Can this be fixed or will I have to knuckle down and convert that partition?

Best regards,

OJ.

jemimah

#8 Post by jemimah »

I'm not sure what the problem might be. I have not had a problem with NTFS partitions myself. Do you get an error message?

oliverjames

#9 Post by oliverjames »

I attach a screen shot of the error message after trying to save a document with LibreOffice.

In addition, I cannot cut and past (drag n drop) from home to the NTFS partition, an action that passes without notice in Puppy 528. Very curious.

But I remember an XFCE configuration for setting group memberships for each user. Maybe that will solve the problem. Can't see a GUI for that so I'll search for the CL instruction.

By the way, as you noted some time back, GogglesMM is a seriously cool music manager / radio player.

Best regards,

OJ

jemimah

#10 Post by jemimah »

It might be mounting read only because the ntfs filesystem has errors.

See this link for instructions to checkdisk it from Puppy.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ntfs3g

oliverjames

#11 Post by oliverjames »

I'm sure that that is not the case.

I have subsequently rebooted into Puppy 528 and writing files from Puppy's home or another Ext3 or 4 partition into the NTFS happens without incident.

Back in Saluki the problem remains. Saluki and Fluppy are both on the same Ext4 partition. Fluppy allows writing from home to the NTFS partition.

Saluki has an Ext4 save file whereas Fluppy is Ext3.

Curious.

OK I can now confirm that remaking a save file in Ext3 solves the problem and allows writing to the NTFS partition.

Next question, is it possible to create an Ext3 version of my previous Ext4 save file.

oliverjames

#12 Post by oliverjames »

jemimah wrote:I'm not sure what the problem might be. I have not had a problem with NTFS partitions myself. Do you get an error message?
An update on this issue, as I appear to have found a workaround. With the Saluki XFCE distro., automounting of an NTFS partition results in it being mounted read only. The simple solution is to unmount and remount the NTFS partition, which then has full admin rights.

This seems to be a sensible state of affairs, avoiding the risk of writing anything to a Windows partition on startup. Automounting a native Linux partition results in it being mounted with full admin rights.

The issue is the same with V013 and V014 of Saluki, but has not been an issue for me when accessing the same NTFS partition with Puppies running Window managers other than XFCE.

Jemima, I will try your file system check/repair suggestion as soon as I've had the time to make an image of this large and valuable chunk of data,

jemimah

#13 Post by jemimah »

It is probably startmount screwing it up then. Thanks!

jakfish

#14 Post by jakfish »

Hi, jemimah,

Excuse me for butting in, but I got touchscreen working on dpup-exprimo, and I was wondering if you had that groovy screen rotation in fluppy available as a pet?

Again, I apologize for dropping in like this, but it *is* a fluppy question :)

Jake