GIMP 2.8 won't open or Save jpg and jpeg files [Semi-Solved]

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
davids45

GIMP 2.8 won't open or Save jpg and jpeg files [Semi-Solved]

#1 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

For a long time, I had been using a 2.6 version of GIMP which I got quite used to, so don't want to change if I can.

I made the mistake of "upgrading" to Gimp-2.8 and now cannot open .jpg or .jpeg files.
And saving is now a complex affair of 'Export' if a .jpg file is wanted.

1) Is there a simple fix or plug-in to make Gimp-2.8 use .jpg files without so much trouble for me?

2) Is there a .pet or .sfs of the good old Gimp-2.6 somewhere, old enough to not have this .jpg problem? I worry this problem affected some later versions of 2.6 as well.

I'm not so familiar with mtpaint, which does do .jpg files, but I may have to get used to it as a fall-back.

Thanks for any help.

David S.
Last edited by davids45 on Sun 26 Mar 2017, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It might be good if you told us which version of Puppy you're using, how it's installed and how you upgraded to Gimp 2.8. While you're at it, tell us how much RAM is in the computer.

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

David, 2.8 probably broke something when it over-populated your 2.6 folder in /root.

Either toss .gimp-2.8's profile folder or maybe rename it and give Lucids SFS pkg a whirl.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

davids45

Gimp-2.8 jpg problems

#4 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Thanks for your logical replies to my Gimp issues.

Thanks Flash for your input, so I did a quick check of some of my Pups to see if there was a pattern to my problem(s).

In Full Pups, I install Gimp as a pet I've made with other graphics programs and a games collection - this has Gimp-2.6.3.

Full Pups using gimp-2.6 that can read jpg files:
slacko-5.9.3, wheezypup-3.5.2.11, tahrpup--6.0.2 (k-4.0.1), tahrpup-5.8.4, slacko-6.3.0, tahr-6.0.5, unicornpup
Full Pups using 2.6.3 that did not show .jpg files:
XenialPup-7.0.8.1, xenialpup-7.0.3.1
-- then ran these from a terminal and both showed a missing lib file = liblcms-so.1; copied this lib file from my library archive and both now could see and load .jpg files!

Frugal Pups (quite a few on two partitions) that have Gimp-2.8.0 boot-loaded from a multi-package sfs (about 1GB of combined sfs of libreoffice, games, graphics, utilities, file managers, and anything else I wanted in every Frugal Pup). This big sfs is in each partition's root for each Frugal Pup's 'boot manager' to find.

On sda1:
Gimp-2.8 runs jpgs with:
slacko-6.3, tahr-5.8.4, puppexenial-471, puppextahr-401, tahr-605, ovprecise-58, fluxpup-161, chloepup (gimp-2.8.14 was built-in)
Gimp does not show or run jpgs with:
xenialpup-704, tahr-602(k401), slacko-6961, xenailpup-701, unicornpup

On sda7:
Gimp-2.8 would not show or run jpgs:
PupJibaroSynaptic, xenialpup-703, jibarojessiebeta
I did not the over twenty remaining (older) Pups on sda7.

Terminal results for frugals:
Missing libs reported in xenial-703 (liblcms), slacko-6961 (libjpeg, linpng14, libmng), jibarojessiebeta (libgudev-1.0, plus some of the previous) - adding the libs and gimp-2.8 now would see the jpgs

Pups that terminally had no missing libs but still would not get gimp-2.8 to see or read jpg files are:
xenialpup-704, tahr-60, unicornpup, xenialpup-701

Not all Pups were run from the terminal in this testing but the terminal output of the failures was a string of gtk messages - see attached screenshot.

The gimp config directory in /root (.gimp-2.6 or .gimp-2.8) deleted or switched to a symlink on my data partition made no difference in getting gimp-2.8 to run with jpg files on those affected Pups.

So, thanks Flash and Semme for your posts that made me look at this logically and find some fixes to some Pups.

But I think I still would like to remove gimp-2.8 from my big sfs and replace it with gimp-2.6 which seems the easier way to run Gimp across my Pups. I may have to do this manually from the gimp-2.6.3 pet I have or try Semme's suggested version from LucidPup.

It's about time I reviewed this all-in-one sfs anyway, there are games I never play or don't work, file-managers & utilities likewise, and I could update LibreOffice and wine as well.
Although it's updating that gave me this Gimp problem in the first place! "Let sleeping pups lie." is a good rule?

Luckily, I no longer have to work for living and my time's my own to spend on tedious tasks like fixing computer program problems of my own making :roll: .

David S.
Attachments
gimp-closing-term28.jpg
terminal report after closing non-jpg seeing gimp-2.8; gimp starts up with no messages
(134.5 KiB) Downloaded 191 times