Dpup-Stretch-700 DELUXE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fredx181

#16 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:So I thought we were all completely past the 'elfedit' problem. What is weird is that I haven't been able to reproduce this problem EXCEPT ONLY when trying to install libfm from PPM
Looks to me that every package installed from Debian-Stretch repo shows the "executables show as dynamic libraries" message.
I just installed "audacious" and the message appeared numerous times (more than 50, I guess).

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#17 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an idea of the fun of the OS in creating your own wallpaper (with the included software in this dpup-stretch) and then matching it icon, GTK & JWM themes included. Left my office for less than 5 mins, our youngest snuck in and did this to one of my computers this dpup stretch deluxe is set up on. LOL, supposedly the name is: neon-purple-sky-disappearing-into-candy-hole or something along those lines I couldn't quite, lol, understand. Enjoy (or not, lol) the pics---I'm stuck with purple Friday for now :lol:

P.S. I cannot get any of our kids to play with Apple and/or Microsoft as much as they have been playing with this dpup-stretch the past week and a half. Murga developers, is it possible we need to listen/pay attention to this if we want to attract/hook the future & its users. Like stop developing pups that are devoid of character and life, and are almost designed like they are for 'eggheads who program for a living". Antiseptic is the word I think of when I see many of the most popular pups here. Puppy can be so much more.......maybe we can break free of the mold of thought that an OS can't be both fun and yet still be serious (with security built-in). With Debian and Puppy, the melding of the two makes this possible imho.
Attachments
little-one's-own-creation-pic1.jpg
(106.72 KiB) Downloaded 643 times
little-one's-own-creation-pic2.jpg
(151.15 KiB) Downloaded 640 times

belham2

#18 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham2 wrote:So I thought we were all completely past the 'elfedit' problem. What is weird is that I haven't been able to reproduce this problem EXCEPT ONLY when trying to install libfm from PPM
Looks to me that every package installed from Debian-Stretch repo shows the "executables show as dynamic libraries".
I just installed "audacious" and the message appeared numerous times (more than 50, I guess).

Fred
Hi Fred,

Uggghh. Can I ask, Fred, what happens if you load the DEVX first, then run PPM and try to install something? Does the same thing happen??? It would absolutely s#ck if we have to load the DEVX everytime we want to use PPM for installing a Debian package (assum,ing loading the DEVX takes care of this problem). If not, then will try a newer vmlinuz, initrd.gs and zdrv from ttuuxxx's latest upload yesterday....my main puppt_stretch_7.0.0a1.sfs should run with it no problems. Maybe that'll solve this PPM problem. If not, I am stuck.... :(

P.S. I had my computer attacked this morning by the little purple people eater, lol.... :lol:

fredx181

#19 Post by fredx181 »

Hi belham, I will try with the devx loaded later today.

Sorry to say, more bad news :cry: :
After installing audacious, I reboooted, all saved well, audacious is OK, but now pcmanfm segfaults:

Code: Select all

# pcmanfm

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDevice'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupVolumeMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientVolume'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupMount'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDrive'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GFamFileMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-local-file-monitor. Expected type is GLocalFileMonitor.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-nfs-file-monitor. Expected type is GLocalFileMonitor.
** Message: x-terminal-emulator has very limited support, consider choose another terminal

** (pcmanfm:17761): WARNING **: The directory '~/Templates' doesn't exist, ignoring it

** (pcmanfm:17761): WARNING **: modules directory is not accessible

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Segmentation fault
# 
Fred

belham2

#20 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi belham, I will try with the devx loaded later today.

Sorry to say, more bad news :cry: :
After installing audacious, I reboooted, all saved well, audacious is OK, but now pcmanfm segfaults:

# pcmanfm

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDevice'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupVolumeMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientVolume'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupMount'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDrive'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GFamFileMonitor'.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-local-file-monitor. Expected type is GLocalFileMonitor.

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-nfs-file-monitor. Expected type is GLocalFileMonitor.
** Message: x-terminal-emulator has very limited support, consider choose another terminal

** (pcmanfm:17761): WARNING **: The directory '~/Templates' doesn't exist, ignoring it

** (pcmanfm:17761): WARNING **: modules directory is not accessible

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(pcmanfm:17761): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Segmentation fault
# 
Fred

Well, crap, I knew there was a reason I wanted that pcmanfm out of these dpup-stretch builds. It just never has acted well, in fact, in my description of the ISO in the 1st message, I said this very thing in the nicest way I could when I wrote right at the beginning under my philosophy for this build:
"2) provide lots of easy right-click functionality (via ROX, pcman is included, but it, at its present structure in woof-CE pups, leaves a lot to be desired at the moment);
It just seems like pcmanfm was thrown into the default choice as part of the woof-CE dpup stretch builds and we (builders & users) were/are left to work out its numerous problems. Hate that, it is almost like Microsoft mentality and here it is being reproduced by woof-CE. Not good. Wish this wouldn't happen, but what is there to do? At the moment, the next ISO I upload for this, I am inclined to remove pcmanfm completely. It's the only thing I can think to do....he!!, I'd rather have Thunar in there (in any woof-CE build, for that matter) than to deal with pcmanfm's constant headaches :(

Thank you, Fred, you've went way and above the call of testing. I really do appreciate it....

fredx181

#21 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:Well, crap, I knew there was a reason I wanted that pcmanfm out of these dpup-stretch builds. It just never has acted well, in fact, in my description of the ISO in the 1st message, I said this very thing in the nicest way I could when I wrote right at the beginning under my philosophy for this build:

Quote:
"2) provide lots of easy right-click functionality (via ROX, pcman is included, but it, at its present structure in woof-CE pups, leaves a lot to be desired at the moment);

It just seems like pcmanfm was thrown into the default choice as part of the woof-CE dpup stretch builds and we (builders & users) were/are left to work out its numerous problems. Hate that, it is almost like Microsoft mentality and here it is being reproduced by woof-CE. Not good. Wish this wouldn't happen, but what is there to do? At the moment, the next ISO I upload for this, I am inclined to remove pcmanfm completely. It's the only thing I can think to do....he!!, I'd rather have Thunar in there (in any woof-CE build, for that matter) than to deal with pcmanfm's constant headaches Sad

Thank you, Fred, you've went way and above the call of testing. I really do appreciate it....
Well, my guess is that it doesn't have to do with pcmanfm itself, but with pup-volume-monitor, probably the same problem could appear with Thunar.

I've seen similar messages about this on other (dpup) threads in the past, but don't know the details for how to solve it.

EDIT:
Just a wild guess that it might have to do with the fact that (after my audacious install) libglib-2.0 is in two places now, see on left side of pic (is mounted puppy_stretch_7.0.0a1.sfs) it's in /usr/lib and on right side (is my savefolder) it's in /lib (looking from the outside now using DebianDog).
Btw, I think this is a serious bug, libglib-2.0 is just an example, I didn't investigate further but wouldn't be surprised if there are much more "double installs"

Fred
Attachments
libglib-2.0_double_installed.png
(191.14 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.

666philb

#22 Post by 666philb »

hi belham2,

I'm having the same issues with the pinboard in both the new tahrpup and xenial.

pb_default isn't normally in puppy, it gets created when the bug occurs. it seems that sometimes when setting a new background, rox momentarily forgets that puppypin is it's pinboard and so creates a new one called pb_default.

can you try making pb_default a symlink to puppypin and see if this fixes the problem. í'll be doing the same in xenialpup

and BTW, that ppm message issue was fixed in woofce
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Galbi

#23 Post by Galbi »

Hi all, if I want to run Virtualbox in this puplet, I need the kernel sources, where can I find them?

Thanks.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

belham2

#24 Post by belham2 »

666philb wrote:hi belham2,

can you try making pb_default a symlink to puppypin and see if this fixes the problem. í'll be doing the same in xenialpup
Thanks, Phil! Will try the symlink to puppypin, and let you know.

666philb wrote: and BTW, that ppm message issue was fixed in woofce
It was? I just did this build, if I recall correctly, only 9-10 days ago. Was it fixed after and/or before then? No, wait, Phil, I remember correctly now, just did another build 4 days ago, and that dpup-stretch PPM is throwing the same darn message problem. I wonder, is it specific to the dpup-stretch build + debian-repos? If you use PPM and install anything from regular pup repos, there's no messages. The problem (and those messages) happen if you install something from Debian-repos. At least I think, lol, that is what is going on :roll:
Last edited by belham2 on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#25 Post by belham2 »

Galbi wrote:Hi all, if I want to run Virtualbox in this puplet, I need the kernel sources, where can I find them?

Thanks.
Hi Galbi,

Try this: http://smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/WoofCe/kern ... 8-stretch/

Ttuuxxx is our driving genius behind getting dpup-stretches to this point. Without him doing the mucho important base and stuff, I could in no way have done this dpup-stretch variation. I used his 4.1.38 kernel, and he posted kernel sources on smokey01. Let us know how it works out.

belham2

Sorry everyone

#26 Post by belham2 »

This ISO seems dead---PPM is throwing all sorts of problems

I had never used PPM when I did my build, assumed the 'executables show as shared libraries" thing was fixed, but now I just ran PPM (installing FirefoxESR), and I got 76 popups from PPM of the message:

"Debian executables show as shared libraries in ROX. For PPM to fix that during installation you should install elfutils or have devx loaded."Click "OK" to continue

76 #$%&@! times in popped up. Unreal. And "elfutils" IS installed in this dpup-stretch-700-Deluxe, I made sure of that during the build. I must have screwed something up, as I am running only a several day old woof-CE build, with ttuuxxx's latest 4.1.38 kernel. :?

Can anyone help me fix this issue with PPM? I mean, without a strenuous workaround, can it be fixed after-the-fact? I just did this build days ago, and am using the latest kernel and such 4.1.38. Or is it the recommendation to close this thread and start over? (which, at this point, I am so frustrated from woof-CE, not to mention the pcmanfm mess it brings, that I am inclined to forget this woof-CE build stuff and stick with the known murga builders who easily solve this stuff in thier creations).

Thanks for any advice.

{UPDATE}
The workaround for this PPM mess is not bad. You just have to load the DEVX.sfs before you open & want to install anything from PPM. Doing this, then anything you install will do so without the constant "OK" msgs popping up for you to click to continue PPM's install. After the install finishes, unload the DEVX.sfs, and you're good to go. I will try to get this PPM behavior (something I thought was fixed) corrected in the next ISO upload.
Last edited by belham2 on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 18:41, edited 4 times in total.

fredx181

#27 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham2,

I can confirm that after loading the DEVX the annoying messages from PPM (when installing deb packages) were not there anymore.

Did some further testing (after audacious install), installed smplayer, firefox, handbrake.
Some more bad news following now, but has happy end :)
- Handbrake didn't start (segfault), when running from terminal, it shows similar as the output I earlier posted for pcmanfm.
- Audacious: when trying to "Open file" , it crashed
Following up from here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 915#948915
So, I thought why not try to uninstall libglib-2.0 from PPM and see what happens, and guess what?... everything fine!! pcmanfm, handbrake audacious, all work as expected :)
It's a workaround, of course, not a solution, but maybe valuable info for further development changes.

PS: I noticed you extended "smokey-get" with a lot more developers, nice!! :)
(about how it's displayed with new(er) version of yad, I'm not very satisfied, goes also for dogradio)

Fred

belham2

#28 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote: So, I thought why not try to uninstall libglib-2.0 from PPM and see what happens, and guess what?... everything fine!! pcmanfm, handbrake audacious, all work as expected :)
It's a workaround, of course, not a solution, but maybe valuable info for further development changes.

PS: I noticed you extended "smokey-get" with a lot more developers, nice!! :)
(about how it's displayed with new(er) version of yad, I'm not very satisfied, goes also for dogradio)

Fred

Fred,
You're kidding me...that actually worked?? What the heck did I screw up sooo bad. Damn this is hard....am at the limit of the few brain cells this old head has left :oops:

Also, you want me to upgrade YAD to a later version? I can do that. Would that help??

P.S. This QtWeb has got to go...any site you "login" to, it starts radomly crashing on whims. Why didn't it do this before I included it in the ISO...I was posting like crazy from it for 3 weeks and it never crashed once. Now, in the ISO, it crashes like a blind, drunk old lady :shock:

fredx181

#29 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:Or is it the recommendation to close this thread and start over? (which, at this point, I am so frustrated from woof-CE, not to mention the pcmanfm mess it brings, that I am inclined to forget this woof-CE build stuff and stick the known builders who easily solve this stuff in thier creations
I would suggest to keep this thread and see it as work-in-progress/development thread, you created a nice puppy, I'm enjoying it very much now after I found out about (and solved) some issues!!
You can maybe edit the first post, tell about the bugs, and later post new ISO with bugfixes.

EDIT:
What the heck did I screw up sooo bad
Who says you did, maybe this problem hasn't got anything to do with your actions.
Also, you want me to upgrade YAD to a later version? I can do that. Would that help??
No, it probably has to do with gtk3, the scripts I made for DD were based on yad gtk2 version.
I will investigate more and may share later a gtk2 based compiled yad

Fred

Galbi

#30 Post by Galbi »

belham2 wrote: Try this: http://smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/WoofCe/kern ... 8-stretch/

Ttuuxxx is our driving genius behind getting dpup-stretches to this point. Without him doing the mucho important base and stuff, I could in no way have done this dpup-stretch variation. I used his 4.1.38 kernel, and he posted kernel sources on smokey01. Let us know how it works out.
:D I'm posting this fron a virtualized Win XP that I needed, that means that the kernel sources were fine to compile the VirtualBox kernel module.

Many thanks for your work to all involved.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

666philb

#31 Post by 666philb »

belham2 wrote:

It was? I just did this build, if I recall correctly, only 9-10 days ago. Was it fixed after and/or before then? No, wait, Phil, I remember correctly now, just did another build 4 days ago, and that dpup-stretch PPM is throwing the same darn message problem. I wonder, is it specific to the dpup-stretch build + debian-repos? If you use PPM and install anything from regular pup repos, there's no messages. The problem (and those messages) happen if you install something from Debian-repos. At least I think, lol, that is what is going on :roll:
radky has fixed the pinboard bug :D see https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... /984/files
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

belham2

#32 Post by belham2 »

666philb wrote:
belham2 wrote:

radky has fixed the pinboard bug :D see https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... /984/files
Wooohooo...Radky!!! :D :D

And thanks Phil for letting me know. :) I am putting Radky's changes in right now and am going to boot up (a fresh frugal install) and see if the pinboard msg issue is gone for good.

fredx181

#33 Post by fredx181 »

I really like DreamChess!

But for me it's rather distracting if it looks like this (spinning board) I can't think!! :) :

Found solution here:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1560512

sh -c 'SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/null dreamchess'
Workaround for some HP/Compaq laptops
I'm using Compaq 6710b laptop

PS: Also nice opportunity to show off my new invention to add animated gif to a message :lol:

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#34 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:I really like DreamChess!

But for me it's rather distracting if it looks like this (spinning board) I can't think!! :) :

Found solution here:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1560512

sh -c 'SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/null dreamchess
Workaround for some HP/Compaq laptops
I'm using Compaq 6710b laptop

PS: Also nice opportunity to show off my new invention to add animated gif to a message :lol:

Fred

Three things:

1) First, that is seriously cool 8) ....a GIF posted to murga and it works? James (from Fatdog) did something similar from 3-4 weeks ago, and a couple of us asked him how he did it. I tried to follow what he wrote, but failed miserably. You gotta teach me some day, because that is cool!

2) How on Earth did you get the DreamChess to spin? I just tried it on 2 different computers, and I can't get it to do it. That spinning is wild, and would seriously increase the difficulty, lol, especially if I was having a beer and losing at the same time.

3) Fred, on a serious note, can you test something for me? I downloaded Firefox, Palemoon (and still have the QtWeb), they all installed fine (of course having the DEVX loaded), and they run great----but they all share a problem: for example, when signed into murga, and I want to upload a pic, and I click on the "Browse" button to look for a file on my system, every one of the browsers immediately crashes as soon as I click this button. I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I know it is something, but what? Is it unique to something I did or installed (the new browsers), or loading the DEVX, or....gulp.....is it a problem everyone has in the ISO I uploaded. Could you check and see if you can post any pic from dpup-stretch-700-Deluxe using any browser?? Thanks (another GIF would be cool) :wink:

mcewanw

#35 Post by mcewanw »

belham2 wrote: 2) How on Earth did you get the DreamChess to spin? I just tried it on 2 different computers, and I can't get it to do it. That spinning is wild, and would seriously increase the difficulty, lol, especially if I was having a beer and losing at the same time.
Like Fred mentioned it is only a problem on some computers and specifically some manufactured by HP. I had the same problem on installing Dreamchess to my HP Elitebook laptop a few years ago and found same solution about joystick device (depite there being no joystick attached to machine).

William
github mcewanw