New xenialpup 7.0.6

News, happenings
Wildman69

New xenialpup 7.0.6

#1 Post by Wildman69 »

Greetings One and All,
Yesterday I made my first Puppy with woof-CE.
It came out as:
xenial-7.0.6 with kernel 4.9.13 no PAE x_86

If you would like to test and let me know how it is for you, the links are:

iso link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5lAga ... sp=sharing

iso checksum link:

devx file link:

devx file checksum link:

Thank You and HAND.

escucha

#2 Post by escucha »

No 64 bit version?

32 bit working quite vell. Writing from it now, some little troubles on tray and menu when I made changes with JWM Desk Manager but...

I already probing on a xenialpup64 7.0.8 version test with 4.10 kernel into
How can this be ¿?
is yours a setback fork?.

Thanks for the efforts.
[size=75]Trying Fossapup 64bit. Still daily work in Bionic64.[/size]

davids45

Frugal fine for now

#3 Post by davids45 »

G'day Wildman69,

Made a Frugal Pup of your iso and it is running well - logged on with it now, via Firefox running from a symlink to my data partition.

Nothing wrong so far.

I have loaded several sfs and these are running as expected (screenshot).

I don't know if you are co-ordinating with other Xenial-pup-makers but, just in case, I think it may help if you gave your Pups a more personalised or distinguishing name - so I for one, don't get confused between all the different Pup Xenials :shock: .

I'll do a Full install in the near future to further check this Pup.

Thanks for sharing your work.

David S.
Attachments
xenial706frugal.jpg
xenial706 - frugal - initial set-up with my usual package additions
(89.03 KiB) Downloaded 1492 times

ally

#4 Post by ally »

Reneetje
Location: The Netherlands, Fryslan - Foar de kofje net eamelje

Why so many

#5 Post by Reneetje »

Why so many xenialpups ????? Does this add something ?
Is xenial-7.0.6 with kernel 4.9.13 no PAE x_86 SAFE to use ?
Is this ISO trusted or approved by the official headgroup?

With kind regards,
Rene

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

I think this xenialpup should be posted in Derivatives section of the forum and was posted here with a little error of evaluation. We must thank wildman69 for the contribute. Puppy is an open source project and every kind and appropriate contribute should be generally accepted, I was said: if you discover any flaw in this derivative then you can post here and reclaim clarifications.

Reneetje

#7 Post by Reneetje »

Watchdog, I disagree with you

Without supervision and control you murder Puppy Linux.

So, I have to tell newbies that we can divide Puppy Linux into 2 groups:

- Group 1 is trusted and approved (ISO is official)
- Group 2 is a testgroup (download ISO at our own risk. This can harm your computer, and be awared, maybe the FSB is watching you)

This will not promote Puppy Linux.

watchdog

#8 Post by watchdog »

Reneetje wrote: - Group 1 is trusted and approved (ISO is official)
- Group 2 is a testgroup (download ISO at our own risk.
This will not promote Puppy Linux.
It's already so as you are saying: group1 is official puppy and the official developers are encorauging skilled puppy followers to contribute to woof-ce with autonomous builds. There is also the thread "Woof-ce needs you" by Iguleder (puppy's developer). In group2 and Derivatives' section not-official contributes are welcomed: why do you not trust this xenialpup and trust all the stuff posted in Derivatives' section by unknown puppy followers? Is there any reason I don't know?

Wildman69

Replies to all of the above.

#9 Post by Wildman69 »

Thank each and every one for your help.
#1) escucha : I too had trouble with file manager after changes to desktop theme. I now have to go through the home folder to get anywhere.
As for the 64 bit version; woof-CE is not giving me an iso in the output. I built this with the woof-CE from Github. Your Welcome.
#2) davids45 : Thank You. I am new here. The purpose of this build was to update the OS. As I said I used woof-CE from github.
#3) ally : Thanks for the mirror.
#4) Reneetje and watchdog :
As stated I used woof-CE from Github to build the thing.
So I think it is as safe as the others it being built the same way.
My Word of Truth: I did not add anything to damage or compromise anyone.
I did the thing: I consider it a personal accomplishment considering that the instructions in woof-CE are flawed.
I only wanted to share my success.
An I did mention "test" in the original post.

Again thank you all for your time.
HAND

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

If you made this from scratch using Woof-CE.

This is your specific compile of a Puppy.

You need to give it your name and not use a Puppy version name that is already in use.

Xenialpup is already a named Puppy version.

You can call it anything you want to, but do not use a name that is already an accepted Puppy version!!!!!!

Give some respect to the person who spent a lot of time giving us Xenialpup. :!:

Give us your specific Puppy version name, so we can give you the respect you deserve!!!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

I suggest newer Puppies need to have PAE.

More people now use computers with more than 4GB of memory.

If you do not know it, this is probably going to be a good Puppy for mew computers.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sage

#12 Post by Sage »

Wrong! Having lived and worked as a member of your nation, I do realise how difficult it is for native-born Americans to appreciate what is happening elsewhere in RoW! Of course, your contention may be partly correct for folks visiting this Forum, but statistics suggest that ~95% of PC users still have W-XP, even W98, on their machines, mostly with <1Gb mem and some even using 386 & 486 cpu. Surely these are the target audience for Enlightenment...

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

Sage wrote:
Wrong! Having lived and worked as a member of your nation, I do realise how difficult it is for native-born Americans to appreciate what is happening elsewhere in RoW! Of course, your contention may be partly correct for folks visiting this Forum, but statistics suggest that ~95% of PC users still have W-XP, even W98, on their machines, mostly with <1Gb mem and some even using 386 & 486 cpu. Surely these are the target audience for Enlightenment...
Your stats in terms of which versions of Windows people use are definitely wrong. Windows 7 is by far the most used version now although XP still has a relatively solid base, 98 hardly shows up. In tems of 386 and 486 cpu's - surely you must be joking. What can you run on a 386/486 (98 at a stretch)?

Sage

#14 Post by Sage »

Cradle of Humankind
Yes, very funny, but consider the real world, not just where readers of this Forum reside or collectors of spoof statistics (aka fake news) hang out!

Keef

#15 Post by Keef »

Cradle of Humankind
...sounds more like a Yorkshireman to me.

Robert123

Re: Replies to all of the above.

#16 Post by Robert123 »

Wildman69 wrote:Thank each and every one for your help.
#1) escucha : I too had trouble with file manager after changes to desktop theme. I now have to go through the home folder to get anywhere.
As for the 64 bit version; woof-CE is not giving me an iso in the output. I built this with the woof-CE from Github. Your Welcome.
#2) davids45 : Thank You. I am new here. The purpose of this build was to update the OS. As I said I used woof-CE from github.
#3) ally : Thanks for the mirror.
#4) Reneetje and watchdog :
As stated I used woof-CE from Github to build the thing.
So I think it is as safe as the others it being built the same way.
My Word of Truth: I did not add anything to damage or compromise anyone.
I did the thing: I consider it a personal accomplishment considering that the instructions in woof-CE are flawed.
I only wanted to share my success.
An I did mention "test" in the original post.

Again thank you all for your time.
HAND
Thank you for your creation.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Robert123

#17 Post by Robert123 »

bigpup wrote:I suggest newer Puppies need to have PAE.

If you do not know it, this is probably going to be a good Puppy for mew computers.
Good to see a non PAE version for older machines - I don't believe the official one is.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Sailor Enceladus

#18 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Robert123 wrote:
bigpup wrote:I suggest newer Puppies need to have PAE.

Good to see a non PAE version for older machines - I don't believe the official one is.
I like the way Slacko does it. 32-bit nopae, 64-bit pae. This will encourage people who want/have lots of RAM to use 64-bit. :)

It looks like woof-CE has recently switched everything to PAE though:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... onfigs_x86

jlst

#19 Post by jlst »

It's good to see a new version of xenial pup.. well, the concerns raised by some people are fair.. but then again phil is very much like him. We all work pretty much like BK, alone, but collaboration happens at a very basic level just because we're using a CVS as long it doesn't involve pet pkgs.

The build system now allows even 5-year-olds to build a puppy successfully, don't worry about who's releasing but how much woofce is in reality, how pure it is. Is it possible to reproduce?, of course only someone who has access to the official repos can answer that question..
Sage wrote:Wrong! Having lived and worked as a member of your nation, I do realise how difficult it is for native-born Americans to appreciate what is happening elsewhere in RoW! Of course, your contention may be partly correct for folks visiting this Forum, but statistics suggest that ~95% of PC users still have W-XP, even W98, on their machines, mostly with <1Gb mem and some even using 386 & 486 cpu. Surely these are the target audience for Enlightenment...
This guy is always telling lies. Most people use Windows 7, and most people use Windows because Linux is only for experts who like to waste a lot of time figuring out how to install stuff and how to make it work, and in the case of Puppy Linux, just how to use rox is enough to drive most people nuts. It's a shame many people are advised to use this when looking for easy Linux alternatives to Windows, I certainly regret having spent a lot of time fixing it for me, time I could have spent making money.
Robert123 wrote:Good to see a non PAE version for older machines - I don't believe the official one is.
The official kernel might be this one: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/hu ... AE.tar.bz2
Sailor Enceladus wrote:It looks like woof-CE has recently switched everything to PAE though:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... onfigs_x86
There was a build option added to address this:
## - x86_disable_pae -
## i486-i686: if the kernel is configured to be PAE capable
## this disables it automatically.
## note: the script will run 'make oldconfig' to ensure
## the new settings take effect
#x86_disable_pae=yes

But i can certainly make all those kernel non-pae by default. I'll think about it.

Reneetje

#20 Post by Reneetje »

Wildman69, I want to thank you for your honest reply

So, against my habit I have downloaded your iso and it looks very, very nice and clean. Desktop gives an easy and relax look. Not to much icons.

You make Puppy Linux to great succes by adding on an iso that is a boot-up screen with boot-up options. That's very useful for newbies and inexperience persons and makes boot-up a piece of cake.

Another boot-up options you can add on ISO are:
- Install Xenialpup to hard drive besides current operation system, without formatting
- A login-screen (like Windows)

You did an excellent job.