Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 20:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Which Flash Drive Best?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
laanan

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017, 13:25    Post subject:  Which Flash Drive Best?  

Hello!

I am new to Puppy, and I want to say that I am really liking the OS. I am currently running Slacko off a 2gb USB stick, and I still can't believe the difference in experience on this laptop as compared to Windows. I am using an Ausus laptop that was my wife's, and which has been a total piece of crap since we bought it (should have just returned it). Under Win 8.1 and 10 it runs as if it is about to die, and even just booting up is sketchy. I have run ever scan known to man on it, with no problems found. I decided it must be a lemon or whatever and bought my wife a new laptop. On a whim, I tried the Puppy live cd and was wowed. The thing is screaming fast.

So, anyhow, I finally got the damn click pad working, and I am still figuring out printing and psync (not synching, but I'll keep on trying), and. Ow I am thinking of using Puppy as my full time OS. I am wondering how most people are using Puppy. Are you all running it in RAM off USB sticks, or installing to
HDD? Or..?

For the USB stick, I am thinking of getting one with 64gb capacity. Just wondering if some are better than others. I see Sandisk 3.0 compatable ones for less than $20 bucks on Amazon....Anyhow, opinions please! 😀
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017, 13:29    Post subject:  

Be careful when you buy a flash drive online. If the price is a lot cheaper than retail, it may be counterfeit and is much smaller than advertised.

Also watch for the USB3 issue. Personally, I would rather buy a smaller USB2 drive that will have wider compatibility.
Marv

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017, 15:21    Post subject:  

I like Transcend USB sticks. I have a many many hours on a bunch, in addition to a lot of their CF cards and never have had one fail.

Since you pretty clearly aren't going to run windows on that laptop ever ever again and have a pup running off CD reliably, if what is on the disk is expendable or can be backed up somewhere, why not try this. You might be surprised at how well it works:

Using the gparted program in your pup, reformat the laptop hdd with a fat32 partition about 10 Gb or 1/4 to 1/3 of the hdd capacity if it's a small hdd and an EXT partition (I still use EXT2) on the rest of the disk. Name them BOOT and DATA or whatever makes sense to you. Set the boot flag on the fat32 one. Practice mounting and unmounting them using your CD based pup, maybe write and erase a test file or two. Then make a directory in the Boot partition named for the pup you are using and copy the main SFS, initrd.gz, vmlinux, zdrv and fdrv if you see those on your CD (iso) to that directory and run Grub4Dos setup provided in your pup on that drive (probably sda1). It should make a working menu.lst in the BOOT partition. Look and see that all that is present, pull the CD and reboot. You should have a working frugal install on the hard disk. There are automated ways to do the above, install tools in puppy and guidance on the forum using them but manually step by step leaves you learning -and possibly addicted-. All reversible as you have the CD Smile If you put pmedia=ataflash as in the example from one of my Grub4Dos menu.lst entries below disk activity goes down even further. Want another pup? Add a directory for it and run Grub4Dos setup again or just clone/rename the menu.lst entry. All in the spirit of puppy-play.

Most of my installs are Grub4Dos frugal like the above to SSDs or CF cards in adaptors but I have a couple to hard disks and they have been quietly just working for years.

Code:
title Lxpup Slacko-current, most recent woofCE, 4.10.6 kernel, 17.04.1T
  uuid 1BFD-4610
  kernel /LxPupSc/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash intel_pstate=disable pdev1=sda1 psubdir=LxPupSc pfix=copy ipv6.disable=1
  initrd /LxPupSc/initrd.gz

bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017, 19:16    Post subject:  

Quote:
For the USB stick, I am thinking of getting one with 64gb capacity. Just wondering if some are better than others. I see Sandisk 3.0 compatable ones for less than $20 bucks on Amazon....Anyhow, opinions please! 😀

That is about the same price as Walmart.

On black Friday I got some PNY USB 3.0 32GB flash drives for $5 each at Walmart.

Go to Walmart.com
They always have something marked down.
Free shipping if you pick it up at a Walmart store.

bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017, 19:39    Post subject:  

Puppy works the best on any storage device as a frugal install.
It is designed to work best as a frugal install.
All the Puppy features are designed for frugal installs.

Running a Puppy live CD.
You are using Puppy as a frugal install.
It is installed on the CD.

bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017, 19:43    Post subject:  

If you tell us the exact make and model of the laptop.
Your problems could be caused by the Puppy version you are using.

That is why there are so many version of Puppy.

Support for specific hardware.

laanan

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017, 23:24    Post subject:  

drunkjedi

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar 2017, 01:35    Post subject:  

laanan wrote:
Thank you both for the above replies. I may well try to get Puppy installed on my hard drive.

The laptop is an Asus X551M. I fixed the dratted clickpad by following the forum thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85069&start=15&sid=208828e00abdf73a590aa6ad62d2489e

In case anyone cares, clickpad settings that (in Xorg) work for me on this Asus are as follows:

Code:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Synaptics Mouse"
   Driver "synaptics"
   Option "SHMConfig" "on"
   Option "MaxTapTime" "225"
    Option "MaxTapMove" "225"
    Option "ClickPad"         "true"
    Option "SoftButtonAreas"  "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
   Option "TapButton1" "1"
   Option "MaxTapTime" "500"
   Option "MaxTapMove" "3"

Ok, maybe the touch is a little grabby. I'll probably teak it...I had to hide the flsync settings file to get right click working, fyi.

As for psync, it's weird, because it was working with the live cd. When I switched to the USB stick (that is what I am running right now), that is when I noticed the problem. It says it is syncing to GMT -8 (my time zone), but...the actual time it puts in is not correct.

I am running Slacko 64. I would be open to trying other flavors. The Linux distro I have most enjoyed was the now defunct #!. I considered putting its spiritual child, Bunsen Labs, on this laptop, but Puppy has been running so amazingly well I am disinclined to switch. I guess I just like the austere/minimalist style of #!.
Having space in your url makes your post disappear.
jd7654

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar 2017, 02:57    Post subject:  

laanan wrote:
As for psync, it's weird, because it was working with the live cd. When I switched to the USB stick (that is what I am running right now), that is when I noticed the problem. It says it is syncing to GMT -8 (my time zone), but...the actual time it puts in is not correct.

Don't use the GMT zones like GMT-8, try named zone like US/Pacific instead.
laanan

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar 2017, 09:25    Post subject:  

Thanks! Looks like psync is now working (or at least the time is displaying correctly).

I first set the timezone to US/Pacific - New (instead of GMT -8 Los Angeles), which did nothing. I then ticked the box setting the hardware clock to UTC, which oddly shifted the time from 2113 to 1413 (even thought it is 0613). Finally I used psync again, and yay - now correct time is displayed (0617)!
slavvo67

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar 2017, 19:48    Post subject:  

I'm with Bigpup. The PNY brand has been excellent to me. I try to stay in the 32gb and 64gb range. When running Quirky, I tend to cut it close on space with the 32gb after adding all my goodies.

Bigpup!! Great deal on that Black Friday!! Has anyone noticed the prices on USB sticks pretty much doubling in the past 6 months?
scsijon

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar 2017, 20:45    Post subject:  

Not sure which country your in, but if it's Australia go look in your Auspost post office, they have emc's on special 64gig @ $A32 last week. They seem to have very compedative prices for memory sticks nowadays.

I any case check out what's 'given' with them before you buy, my MicroSDXC Sandisk's 'Christmas presents' came with microsdxc to usb2 'dongles' which work quite happily with puppy as usb plugin's.

And of course there are the various speed standards and number of reuses and maximum guarantee lifespan to consider. Stick to 64gig or less for now as larger are available, but cost the earth for now. 256gig are starting to appear (max listed size for MicroSDXC standard).

'Someone' is working on a new standard for 1tb (64-bit-only). When that appears I suspect it will end hard drives and everything will use SSD for fast access (such as servers, caches and the like) and the new SD Cards for volume storage and everyone else not requiring fast storage (less power required too).
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: