Snif ! Vale for software packages

News, happenings
scsijon

#1 Post by scsijon »

It seems that this year is becoming the cleanout year for Linux Software Packages so I thought i'd start a list of what has now gone that we have in the past used for Puppy.

I'd appreciate it if you would add any others you come across.

So i'll start it with Ogle, a free Linux DVD-player with menu support.. It was a Student project by Students of Chalmers University of Technology.

Ogle was the first software DVD-player designed by the open source-community that can handle DVD-menus. It can be controlled by using either the command line or, if you prefer, a simple GUI. If you don´t like the standard GUI, you can download an alternative one from the producer's homepage.

Ogle played from several different sources, including devices, directories or from an ISO-File. If you just want to watch DVDs on your computer, don´t need any fancy gimicks and want a simple to use player, this was the one is for you.

Billtoo

#2 Post by Billtoo »

I was rooting around today and I found a Racy 5.5 remaster, huge at 600+mb but that includes the kernel source and devx.

It has Ogle-0.92 and Vlc-2.0.5, both seem to work fine.

There's also a Racy iso that's 125mb, I haven't checked yet but I'd guess Ogle is the default DVD player on that.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(57.17 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

scsijon

#3 Post by scsijon »

Oh, you misunderstood me, I didn't say the source code wasn't unavailable, it's just that the project has come to the end of it's life!

By the way, you can also check The "Wayback Machine" https://web.archive.org/ for 'stuff gone missing' if you know the origonal servers url, they have quite a selection there.