Using AppImages in Puppy...

Using applications, configuring, problems
don570

#46 Post by don570 »

The latest appimage for mypaint...

https://transfer.sh/lekBy/MyPaint-1.3.0 ... 4.AppImage

The method for getting this download site is...

go to https://travis-ci.org/mypaint/mypaint
then look at bottom of script (near bottom of page)

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks for that, Don.

All information pertaining to use of AppImages gratefully received.....

Cheers.

Mike. :wink:

don570

gimp 2.9.5

#48 Post by don570 »

There is an appimage for gimp 2.9.5 that has mypaint brushes included
Available HERE

However I find the brushes slow so I prefer mypaint as a standing app.
Latest version of mypaint has perspective tool.

LazY Puppy

#49 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Yesterday evening accidentially I found a Kdenlive 17.04 AppImage:

It needs QT5 to be installed, otherwise it complains about a missing qt xcf plugin and won't start.

https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... mirrorlist

In tahr64 I got a segmentation fault and it crashed after trying to import/drag'n'drop a mp4 video into Kdenlive.

Probably it may work in Xenial64?

Meanwhile there's also a Kdenlive version for Windows available, though I can't test, since I do not own a 64bit Windows version.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

I've made another discovery with regard to WIRE, the VOIP/chat AppImage.

Back on page 3 of this thread, I mentioned about WIRE creating a fresh 'instance' of itself each time, when running it on multiple Puppies, even using the same 'common' AppImage in each Pup.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 425#953425
Mike Walsh wrote:If you approach your 7-login 'limit, you're offered the chance to input your password and delete an existing login, thus enabling you to login afresh on a new machine. It works well, and there's no limit to the number of times you can chop and change like this.

The only other thing I find a bit niggling is that on a fresh login, Wire won't show your chat history 'for security reasons'. Existing logins, this shows up as expected when you fire it up.
As stated above, when running a common AppImage this way on multiple Pups (unlike with Skype), your chat 'history' won't be synced across every instance of WIRE, due to WIRE 'seeing' each Pup as a fresh 'install', if you like.....and WireGmBH have coded it to work like this for 'security' reasons..! :shock: :evil: :roll:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The essential difference here is that Skype keeps your configuration details remotely on a cloud server somewhere, linked into your a/c details.....whereas WIRE keeps that same information locally, as a set of configuration files, in a folder named 'Wire' in /root/.config.

What this means is as follows:-

a) You're having a chat conversation with somebody in Puppy 'A'.
b) For whatever reason, you decide to switch to Puppy 'B', but wish to continue the conversation. You open WIRE, but.....no chat 'history' (for security reasons.) So, you have to remember what you were chatting about..... :roll:

This struck me as absolutely DAFT.....although I can see the 'logic' behind it, since WIRE is primarily intended for smartphones. And most people only have one smartphone, which they keep with them at all times. Although the Linux desktop client is freely available (and works very well), it's still set up to work like the phone app...and those 'security reasons' are obviously in effect in case your phone gets stolen, and/or falls into the wrong hands.

There IS an easy way round this. :idea:

SOLUTION

You keep a 'common' .config folder in a remote location, separate from all your Pups (if that location is set to auto-mount at boot, all the better).....and you simply sym-link it into your /root/.config directory in each Pup, before firing-up WIRE.

Result? WIRE now 'sees' each Pup's instance of itself as the same 'install'.....and your chat history is preserved across your kennels. :D

Hope that helps anyone who's been trying to suss this one out..!

don570

#51 Post by don570 »

You keep a 'common' .config folder in a remote location, separate from all your Pups (if that location is set to auto-mount at boot, all the better).....and you simply sym-link it into your /root/.config directory in each Pup, before firing-up WIRE.
Clever :idea:

Mike Walsh

#52 Post by Mike Walsh »

don570 wrote:
Clever :idea:
Mm. Works, though! It's the same way that I run the Chromium-based browsers in all my 32-bit Pups. I run the same ones in every Pup, by keeping a common version of the browser plus its .cache & .config files on the same remote partition.....then sym-linking everything into Puppy at the appropriate point where Pup expects to find it.

End result is that I run just four browsers.....instead of nine different copies of each of those four for nine Pups (a total of 36). With each 'install' occupying close on 280 MB you multiply that by 36, and you've soon used more than 10 GB of space up, through unnecessary 'mass-duplication'.

You can only use one copy of each in any one Pup at any given moment....so although complex to set up initially, it pays dividends in the long run.

I have davids45 to thank for that innovation.....and it's all simply making use of an existing facility within Pup; the powerful, and very versatile, sym-link function.

Mike Walsh

#53 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

Just a quick one before I head up the wooden hill for the night. Came across this AppImage on OpenDesktop.org a little while ago.

Kaku.

https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1168636/

It appears to be an audio player, specifically for those among you who keep all your music in 'the cloud'.....and gives you a choice of sites to set as default, and to d'l and stream your music from.

It's available in both 64- and 32-bit AppImages. I tried the 32-bit version in Xenialpup 7.0.8.1.....and it fired straight up. It's of no use to me personally, since all my music is on local storage - but I thought it might be of interest to those of you who access your music in this manner.

Click on the 'Files' tab to find the downloadable AppImage 'binaries'.

Have fun!

Mike Walsh

#54 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Just adding a link to the 'WebCamoid' webcam app thread. It's available in multiple different formats (including a 'full' installer).....but, because it's also available as an AppImage, I'm linking to it here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111218

slavvo67

#55 Post by slavvo67 »

I'm starting to like AppImage packages. Not as a solution for all but there are some programs that have a boatload of dependencies. For example, RPCS3, a PS3 emulator comes in Appimages which saves the dependency headaches. Not sure if it works completely as I have no games at the moment to test; but it gets to the main screen without issue.

Is there a current list of AppImages anywhere? The AppImage website seems to have quite a few dated images.

mikeslr

#56 Post by mikeslr »

Hi slavvo67,
slavvo67 wrote:
Is there a current list of AppImages anywhere? The AppImage website seems to have quite a few dated images.
I don't know if appimage.org or probono can keep up with them. By googling "NAME_OF_Application appimage" I've discovered that some independents are publishing their creations as appimages along with other types of packages available from or linked to from their own websites. Particularly useful if looking for a 32 bit version: "NAME_OF_Application appimage 32 bit."

Although it is possible to create menu entries for individual appimages, as I prefer SFSes when available, I incorporate appimages into my Puppies by:

1) Placing all of them in a folder > /mnt/home/Pup-Apps; and
2) creating one menu entry named Pup-Apps, whose /usr/share/applications desktop file is rox modified to have Exec=roxfiler /mnt/home/Pup-Apps.

Once rox opens the Pup-Apps folder I can just Left-click the AppImage I want to open.
The Pup-Apps folder also serves as a convenient place for notes, such as "KDEnlive-Qt5-Required.txt" to remind me that to run the KDEnlive...appimage, Qt5 libs must be installed or loaded into the operating system.

I use the same folder for self-contained applications --those which don't have to be installed or loaded as SFSes. For those, rather than having to wade thru its structure to locate its executable each time I want to run the application, I create a bash-script to call the executable. The bash script sits next to the application's folder.

With the low price of storage, the duplication of some files by several appimages and portable-programs is a practically insignificant concern. And even that becomes negligible for those who run multiple Puppies when they can make use of the same instance of an application.

But what I think has been the most advantageous aspects of appimages and similar application formats for Puppies is that our Devs can concentrate on improving Puppy as an operating system while we users are not left without a method to run powerful applications under them: an efficient division of labor with each 'expert in his/her field' doing what they do best.

mikesLr

backi

#57 Post by backi »

Good read mikeslr !
But what I think has been the most advantageous aspects of appimages and similar application formats for Puppies is that our Devs can concentrate on improving Puppy as an operating system while we users are not left without a method to run powerful applications under them: an efficient division of labor with each 'expert in his/her field' doing what they do best.
I would like to see them more being used in Puppy World .

Regards !

mikeslr

#58 Post by mikeslr »

Hi backi,

Among the notes I keep in that folder are ones indicating which AppImages work under Xenialdogs and DebianDogs, and what, if any, libs have to be installed. I don't know what I would do without 'ldd'.

In addition to AppImages, there are at least two other packaging formats that may become useful: Flatpak and Snap. Beyond what it says here, https://www.fossmint.com/flatpak-appima ... hey-stack/, I know nothing about them. Something for us to investigate. :) :)

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#59 Post by Mike Walsh »

@Mike:-

From what I can see of it, FlatPack and Snaps both appear to focus mainly on isolating the application, plus its dependencies, completely from the rest of the host system, i.e., 'sandboxing' it. In fact, the security aspect would seem to take precedence over the application itself.

I see Canonical are confidently predicting that their 'Snaps' will take over from the current .deb packaging system & Synaptic as the dominant system of the next decade.

slavvo67

#60 Post by slavvo67 »

Yes, lots of dependencies for the flatpacks and snaps.

I found very few Appimages that don't work in Quirky Xerus.

backi

#61 Post by backi »

Me ,using just 32bit Os Puppies, can not find much appImages .

slavvo67

#62 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Backi:

It's a shame that 32bit seems to be getting phased out. Many individuals create so it's finding that hidden diamond among the rough. You may want to consider contributing by creating your own appimages of programs you have working under the 32bit platform. Appimage's website has create instructions there.

Kindest regards,

Slavvo67

mikeslr

ImageMagick.AppImage -- Does it work?

#63 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike Walsh,

Stumbled upon ImageMagick.AppImage, discussed here with download link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 024#980024. From your previous posts about graphics, I thought it might interest you.

mikesLr

slavvo67

#64 Post by slavvo67 »

There haven't been many Appimages that I've been interested in; though quite a few work ootb.

Mike Walsh

Re: ImageMagick.AppImage -- Does it work?

#65 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Mike Walsh,

Stumbled upon ImageMagick.AppImage, discussed here with download link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 024#980024. From your previous posts about graphics, I thought it might interest you.

mikesLr
Thanks, Mike; we'll add it to the list!

I've tried ImageMagick before, but, like you, I do not feel 'comfortable' in the terminal. Must be a hang-over from my years & years of Windoze usage; I still prefer my GUIs.

I just couldn't get my head around the multitude of possible parameters that can be added to each command; after a wee while, it felt like my head was about to explode..!

But it's all 'grist for t'mill'.....and another we can add to the list of these AppImages that work for Puppy. So.....good catch!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.