Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 13 Dec 2018, 13:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Using AppImages in Puppy...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 6 [79 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:12    Post subject:  

Another AppImage discovery for you; a screenshot app that automatically uploads screenies to your image-hosting a/c, and retrieves the link to the clipboard, ready for immediate use. It does save having to visit the image host yourself, and add things manually.

It works the way HotShots is supposed to work; personally, I've never been able to make it behave itself.

ScreenCloud.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2018, 13:42    Post subject:  

An update for y'all.

I previously mentioned on here that the Telegram Instant Messenger app was crashing, expecting to find PulseAudio instead of ALSA.....and, moreover, didn't have a very good 'rep' for security.

OMGUbuntu! tells me that with the new release (v.1.3.13), the Telegram devs have got their act together, and considerably 'beefed-up' the problematic (read 'weak') security aspects of the app.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/08/telegram-updates-desktop-app-with-chat-export-night-theme

I consider it's once again a viable messenging app for use with Puppy; the hashing algorithms are now, apparently, up-to-date, and much stronger than before, employing a 512-bit public RSA 'key' to protect your personal data. It's also encrypted end-to-end.

As for the PulseAudio stuff, so long as you have Oscar's 'apulse' .pet (32-bit or 64-bit) installed, you should be 'good to go'.

The app comes with its own updater. You can find them here:-

https://desktop.telegram.org/

Both 32- and 64-bit are available, and work OOTB.....which probably means they're statically-compiled.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2018, 20:53    Post subject: Patchwork --and other Social Media Clients under Scuttlebutt  

See labbe5's post here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1003419#1003419
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 16:23    Post subject:  

Couple more 64-bit AppImages for y'all.

PlayMe is a YouTube music video client. It's very professionally-finished, and, it just 'works'. Can't say much more about it, except if you watch a lot of music vids off YouTube, then this should fit the bill.

It's available for download from Github, here:-

https://github.com/lamazingco/playme/releases

----------------------------------------------

Retroshare is a messenging/file-sharing app, along the lines of the peer-to-per model. The difference here is that you don't just connect to a peer network willy-willy, you have to add friends who you wish to communicate with. I guess the idea is that this makes it a wee bit more secure, since you tend to choose your friends...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RetroShare

I can't try this out, since I don't know anybody who uses Retroshare. It is, apparently, based on the GNU Privacy Guard, which, along with 2048-bit encryption, should make it pretty secure... It's available for just every possible platform, and is highly recommended by some of the major privacy advocates on the 'net. It's completely de-centralized, not dependent on funding, and operates on the F2F principle (friend-to-friend).

All-in-all, it sounds like a pretty good way to anonymously share files, and the "degree of anonymity may be improved further by deactivating the DHT and IP/certificate exchange services, making the RetroShare network a real Darknet."

Mike.Wink

Page 6 of 6 [79 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: