Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 24 Mar 2019, 11:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Using AppImages in Puppy...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 6 [82 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug 2018, 11:12    Post subject:  

Another AppImage discovery for you; a screenshot app that automatically uploads screenies to your image-hosting a/c, and retrieves the link to the clipboard, ready for immediate use. It does save having to visit the image host yourself, and add things manually.

It works the way HotShots is supposed to work; personally, I've never been able to make it behave itself.

ScreenCloud.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2018, 13:42    Post subject:  

An update for y'all.

I previously mentioned on here that the Telegram Instant Messenger app was crashing, expecting to find PulseAudio instead of ALSA.....and, moreover, didn't have a very good 'rep' for security.

OMGUbuntu! tells me that with the new release (v.1.3.13), the Telegram devs have got their act together, and considerably 'beefed-up' the problematic (read 'weak') security aspects of the app.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/08/telegram-updates-desktop-app-with-chat-export-night-theme

I consider it's once again a viable messenging app for use with Puppy; the hashing algorithms are now, apparently, up-to-date, and much stronger than before, employing a 512-bit public RSA 'key' to protect your personal data. It's also encrypted end-to-end.

As for the PulseAudio stuff, so long as you have Oscar's 'apulse' .pet (32-bit or 64-bit) installed, you should be 'good to go'.

The app comes with its own updater. You can find them here:-

https://desktop.telegram.org/

Both 32- and 64-bit are available, and work OOTB.....which probably means they're statically-compiled.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2018, 20:53    Post subject: Patchwork --and other Social Media Clients under Scuttlebutt  

See labbe5's post here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1003419#1003419
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2018, 16:23    Post subject:  

Couple more 64-bit AppImages for y'all.

PlayMe is a YouTube music video client. It's very professionally-finished, and, it just 'works'. Can't say much more about it, except if you watch a lot of music vids off YouTube, then this should fit the bill.

It's available for download from Github, here:-

https://github.com/lamazingco/playme/releases

----------------------------------------------

Retroshare is a messenging/file-sharing app, along the lines of the peer-to-per model. The difference here is that you don't just connect to a peer network willy-willy, you have to add friends who you wish to communicate with. I guess the idea is that this makes it a wee bit more secure, since you tend to choose your friends...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RetroShare

I can't try this out, since I don't know anybody who uses Retroshare. It is, apparently, based on the GNU Privacy Guard, which, along with 2048-bit encryption, should make it pretty secure... It's available for just every possible platform, and is highly recommended by some of the major privacy advocates on the 'net. It's completely de-centralized, not dependent on funding, and operates on the F2F principle (friend-to-friend).

All-in-all, it sounds like a pretty good way to anonymously share files, and the "degree of anonymity may be improved further by deactivating the DHT and IP/certificate exchange services, making the RetroShare network a real Darknet."

Mike.Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2019, 21:28    Post subject:  

I have a feeling this thread's going to see a resurgence pretty soon. I've just discovered a thread Fredx181 started last November, where he released a script he'd put together that will let anyone turn .pet (or .deb, I would think) packages into either AppImage 'portables' or self-extracting scripts (which is how his 'redshift-lite-portable' packages work).

I've been rather busy this afternoon and evening..! I've turned several useful, existing .pets into AppImage portables; the beauty of these being, of course, that they will run from literally anywhere, since they unpack into and run from /tmp for the duration.

All today's conversions have been 32-bit, so far.....and include:-

a ) An AppImage of Oscar's VLC 2.1.0 'Rincewind'; no dependencies required. An older version, but a dead reliable, no-nonsense player. Perfect for the job. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TOTyJJ7OypRpr5QL4H1UeYPS7ss1XDk1/view?usp=sharing

---------------------------

b ) An AppImage of the final, Wine-based release of TeamViewer, v12.0.85001. Less fussy than the newer, QT5 versions.....and still perfectly functional. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V0uyGO8u9TMxY5A9Y8XpyYGLQMrHvvDM/view?usp=sharing

c ) An AppImage of the QIV 2.3.1 slideshow app I put together last year, with a YAD-based GUI. Simple, and easy to use.

Generic - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YCrQmv8QYEUxF_E_fIlrOP5kQlSEuSlg/view?usp=sharing

Special older version for Lucid - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EJWnUPbBEm_tE6cEonapuWB8wXOu5lPY/view?usp=sharing

d ) Finally, AppImages of Smokey01's recently-released lightweight TeamViewer replacement, "BackSeatDriver v3.18". This is a brilliantly featherweight app, which, nevertheless, is capable of everything TeamViewer can do, and more, since it also integrates Puppy's VOIP 'softphone', PSIP, into the mix.....so you can talk to the person at the other end while you're showing them how to do something on their machine. Perfect for helping other Puppians out!

There's two versions. One for 'newer' Pups (Tahrpup onwards, really):- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LfnOgF_GGaXkE_HtRdgRIty2sfkOZ9FQ/view?usp=sharing

.....and one for 'older' Pups (mostly 5-series, etc.). This has been tested as working, so far, in pemasu's UPup 'Raring', 01Micko's Slackos 560 & 570, and BK's Precise 571:- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nJMEqHQHI0cE_naswhM5RiSnJ_hR78Mq/view?usp=sharing

-----------------------------

You could, of course, keep all of these on a separate flash-drive, and run them from there..... I shall be doing some 64-bit versions, too, before long. Watch this space.

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2019, 09:16    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

I tried your Teamviewer appimage, but unfortunately it didn't work for me, got error message that /opt/teamviewer/teamviewer doesn't exist.
Could it be that you have already Teamviewer installed on the OS you tested the appimage ?
In that case it's not a good test, because the teamviewer script in <appdir-root>/usr/bin looks for absolute paths, to fix that I have put $LAUNCHDIR in front of the paths, so becomes:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LAUNCHDIR/opt/teamviewer/tv_bin/wine/lib"
cd $LAUNCHDIR/opt/teamviewer
./teamviewer

sleep 5
pkill -9 teamviewer

exit 0

(the LAUNCHDIR variable (= <appdir-root>) is exported from the AppRun script)

Repacked as appimage, but then the next problem appeared:
Teamviewer wants to put logfiles in opt/teamviewer, but cannot because it's read-only system (mountpoint in /tmp) resulting that it won't start.
Also it needs to chmod some directories, so creating a working appimage for Teamviewer is out of the question IMO (unless you'd do a lot of tweaking), but self-extracting script does work because it's extracted so it's read/write.
Here's the selfextracting script: teamviewer12-portable
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4qh0l3xt4s8cxad/teamviewer12-portable?dl=1

You probably can see now that it's absolutely not a straightforward thing to create portable appimages Rolling Eyes Exclamation

Fred

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2019, 13:20    Post subject:  

@ Fred:-

Mm-hm. I think I did jump the gun a bit with TeamViewer. I've just tried it out with pristine boots, pfix=ram, of both Slacko 570 and Precise 571. I get the same problem, too.

The problem with TeamViewer, of course, is that it seems to want to write odd bits of information all over the place. It's probably why I've never found an AppImage of it anywhere; like you say, it's going to want a lot of tweaking.

QIV & Smokey's BackSeatDriver, however, both behave themselves; those I did extensively test out with 'clean' Puppies, and although I needed to add a fair few libs for the 'older Pups' version of BSD, that's all it was. And an AppImage is a perfect way to use BackSeatDriver, I think....plus, it's a hell of a lot smaller than TeamViewer, anyway. Personally, I prefer it.

---------------------------------------------

One other I did put together, although I haven't decided whether to publish it, was an AppImage of GuvcView 1.5.3, with its own built-in version of Python 2.7, and all necessary libs for it to work. I originally assembled it for Slacko 560/570, for my own use. When I was testing the AppImage of BackSeatDriver in a pristine copy of rerwin's Lucid 5287 'Sulu 002', I fired it up, just for the hell of it.....and was gobsmacked that it ran, and worked properly, too.

Probably inspired by the fact that I finally got my hands on a Logitech c920 HD Pro last year. I'd been eying it up for years, but at over GBP £100 it was way out of my price range. PC World, here in the UK, had it down to just under £40 last summer in their August Bank Holiday sale, so I grabbed one! I'm interested in any and all webcam apps I can find.....as well as every possible method you can think of for packaging and running 'em.

--------------------------------------------

I may try TV as a self-extracting script.....and see what it does. Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

Mike. Wink

Page 6 of 6 [82 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: