Using AppImages in Puppy...

Using applications, configuring, problems
watchdog

vlc-3.0.7.1-i386-chroot

#91 Post by watchdog »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/128EuUU ... sp=sharing

The version "chroot" of the above build.

watchdog

#92 Post by watchdog »

I am not able to replicate the exploit of a portable vlc x86_64. In ScPup64 I can't use the h264 codec. It's a nightmare. I have an experimental build based on buster64: it starts but won't play mp4 videos.

watchdog

vlc-3.0.7.1-x86_64-portable

#93 Post by watchdog »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_LCp0a ... sp=sharing

Do not ask to me how I have done it. It works in buster64 and ScPup64. Glibc >= 2.28 required. Original libraries from buster64. Follow chroot version.

watchdog

vlc-3.0.7.1-x86_64-chroot

#94 Post by watchdog »

The version "chroot" of the above build obtained with create-portable by fredx181.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sH2p7v ... sp=sharing

Remember to make executable the downloaded apps. Just click on them.

watchdog

vlc-3.0.6.0-i386-chroot

#95 Post by watchdog »

Based on stretch and created with create-portable32 by fredx181, it works for me in recent 32 bit puppies.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tYYQBH ... sp=sharing

mikeslr

KeepassXC.AppImage -- a safer way to keep passwords

#96 Post by mikeslr »

watchdog

audacity-2.3.1-i386-portable

#97 Post by watchdog »

Mike Walsh

#98 Post by Mike Walsh »

Bloody hell, watchdog; amazing stuff.

Keep 'em coming, buddy..... :D

Mike. :wink:

hatemonday

#99 Post by hatemonday »

AppimageHub :

Unlike other applications, AppImages do not need to be installed before they can be used. However, they need to be marked as executable before they can be run. This is a Linux security feature.

Many linux apps are now distributed as appimages. Any security concern about appimages ? Do they contain malicious code /binaries /spyware ?

Mike Walsh

#100 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ hatemonday:-

I appreciate that you're one of those Puppians who are extremely concerned about security in general. About the only reference I've been able to find to security issues with AppImages is this thread on Github:-

https://github.com/AppImage/pkg2appimage/issues/197

.....and it appears to be more about possible 'attacks' at the far end - the repositories where you actually download them from. About which we, the 'users', can do absolutely nothing.

Draw your own conclusions.

Mike Walsh

#101 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all. Just a quick couple of AppImages for you tonight - both graphics apps.

XnViewMP - full-featured image viewer/editor/'processor'. 64-bit only, I'm afraid. Plays videos, too..!!

https://download.xnview.com/XnView_MP.g ... 4.AppImage

------------------------------------

SynfigStudio - 2D vector animation app. Lets you turn comic-strip stuff into GIFs, for example.....and much, much more.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117227

Enjoy.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 24 Dec 2019, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#102 Post by Mike Walsh »

Another one for y'all. jplt3's discovery of an AppImage for Kodi 18.4 'Leia'.

As with so many AppImages, it's 64-bit only, I'm afraid.....but it fires straight up, and runs as sweet as a nut, in Xenialpup64 7.5. I'll be trying it out in Bionic64 later on; will report back.

DO be aware it's quite large; 280 MB. Best to stick it in /mnt/home, or even an external drive of some sort.....and run it from there when you want it. Remember to make it executable; rt-clk->Properties->Tick all 3 'Exec' check-boxes->Refresh->OK.

Sweet!

jplt3

#103 Post by jplt3 »

Thanks Mike Walsh

I confirm , tihs kodi appimage work very well on bionicpup64
My post to the appimage
Attachments
kodi.png
(192.96 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
JpLt

Mike Walsh

#104 Post by Mike Walsh »

jplt3 wrote:Thanks Mike Walsh

I confirm , tihs kodi appimage work very well on bionicpup64
My post to the appimage
Nice one. Well, there's your answer.....which I will confirm, having tried it myself around an hour ago. Personally, I simply use it for viewing 'local' videos.....of which I have a lot..!

enrique

#105 Post by enrique »

I switch to puppy as I like the Idea of carrying with us the full OS. Never the less I will accept this AppImages may have its use for someone else.

Thank you all for providing this info. To be honest I had read about AppImages but ignore them as I did not understood what was for. But 1rst page is quite helpful now I have a better understanding. Thanks

paulh177

#106 Post by paulh177 »

Just dropping in to say that LMMS 1.2.1 AppImage from the LMMS home site works perfectly (for me) in both xenial64 & bionic64.

You'll probably need Jack to get it working most effectively, but it'll make noises even with ALSA.

When it moans about running as root, you can either spot it, or - much easier - run it with the --allowroot argument:

Code: Select all

lmms-1.2.1-linux-x86_64.AppImage --allowroot
Last edited by paulh177 on Wed 08 Jan 2020, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#107 Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks for that, Paul; much appreciated.

Should be of interest to a fair number of Puppians. Keep 'em coming.

Cheers!

Mike Walsh

#108 Post by Mike Walsh »

Here's another one for y'all.

Leonflix

p310don came across this one a while back. It searches for, finds, and will play back movies, music, etc. Again, only 64-bit I'm afraid, but that's the way the wind's blowing nowadays.

Like LMMS above, it needs something similar to permit running as root; in this case, the

Code: Select all

--no-sandbox
....argument, because many of these AppImages are written using parts of the Electron 'framework', which itself is based around a 'stripped-down' version of the Chromium browser. Hence why the '--no-sandbox' argument, or 'switch', often works for us here in Puppyland.

I've published a small launcher script for it HERE.

Enjoy!

jplt3

#109 Post by jplt3 »

hi all,

for some of you who love to code and use VScode Visual Studio Code is a source-code editor developed by Microsoft for Windows, Linux and macOS.

Here is the Appimage in their github repo of vscodium : binary release of VS Code without MICROSOFT branding/telemetry/licensing .

Enjoy.
JpLt

Mike Walsh

#110 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just a quick one for y'all.

Mikeslr has referenced links for the most recent versions of LibreOffice (64-bit only, I'm afraid) which have been packed as AppImages. I'm currently running the latest 'Still' release of this - v6.3.4.2 - which functions fine in both Bionicpup64 and Xenialpup64.

It's a good way to 'portabilize' this humungous application (as we all know, in the 'unpacked' format newer releases can often exceed 600 MB+!), by keeping it on an external partition, or anywhere outside of 'Puppy-space', then just running it as and when you need it. It runs in /tmp for the duration, so a reasonable amount of RAM is required nowadays.....and it's even simpler than needing to load/unload an SFS. Fewer 'clicks'!

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/

These have been built 'properly', and just work, OOTB.