What are the oldest Puppy & DebianDog in the forrum?

Using applications, configuring, problems
enrique

What are the oldest Puppy & DebianDog in the forrum?

#1 Post by enrique »

Puppy
I started my Puppy learning with lupu528
I was definitely impress how small, complete and fast the OS was.

At the moment I follow a few threads, I like the Quirky7-light.

I do not know what is the oldest REAL Puppy. I love to know and even have a copy for fun.

Debian-Dog
Well since I am looking into the oldest Puppys I then question my self how about debian-dogs. The oldest I have try is DebianDog Jessie. I was force to in order to develop my fglrx drivers.

But I wonder if any one can point me also to the oldest Debian-Dog on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

fredx181

#2 Post by fredx181 »

Hi enrique
Debian-Dog
Well since I am looking into the oldest Puppys I then question my self how about debian-dogs. The oldest I have try is DebianDog Jessie. I was force to in order to develop my fglrx drivers.

But I wonder if any one can point me also to the oldest Debian-Dog on the forum.
Squeeze is the oldest:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Squeeze/releases/tag/v.1.0

EDIT And Wheezy after Squeeze, before Jessie:
https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/ht ... other.html

Fred

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ enrique:-

Nic's certainly pointed you to the very oldest Puppies. You can still download these, and burn them to an ISO. You may have issues getting them to run, unless on very elderly, period hardware. (They don't 'play nice' with very new hardware, AFAIK).

They certainly weren't built with Woof/WoofCE. I'm not even sure whether or not Barry was using the T2 build-scripts at that time; I think those came in circa series 2? I could be wrong, of course. I often am!

Even if you can get them to run, bear in mind that:-

a ) They don't use a save-file.
b ) The aufs 'union-layering' is quite primitive, compared to modern Puppies.
c ) There IS no PPM.
d ) They don't recognise .pet or SFS packages. The package format then was, I think, something called the .pup package instead. (I believe 'converters' exist, somewhere. Somebody will know.)
e ) Much of the currently automated 'background' stuff didn't even exist then, and where early versions perhaps did, they were largely manual in operation.

It's a wonderful history lesson in where Puppy's origins lie.....but don't expect them to behave like a modern Puppy. (Or Dog).

Because they won't.

Mike. :wink:

Moose On The Loose

#5 Post by Moose On The Loose »

This posting is from a machine running 528 with a huge list of things added.
For a while I was looking to move to Precise-lite but
1) I found that the printing to a Windows machine via cups wouldn't
2) The arrangement of icons put one of my drive icons on top of other
3) The "browser" thing didn't work
4) The help was helpless

Suddenly seamonkey started working for youtube again so I went back to what was all working perfectly for me.

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

I have 4.2 and 4.31 somewhere in my collection.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

enrique

#7 Post by enrique »

Wao. Nice Info. I am very grateful to ALL. Nice information.

I am going to see if I can make run some of them. I have an old Pentium laptop I hope it do the trick. If not I will see if I can make them run on quemu.

It is like looking into a very old Photo album. Something that I like to see.

And this provides a base. Using nic007 links I see:
cd-puppy.iso (View Contents) 07-Oct-2013 21:24 19.8M

Nice info.

Note:
Do not get me wrong. I have experience running Linux in less than 4MB. I do it using Openwrt. My servers run on 4 MB of ROM and 32MB RAM. The average router power consumption is 0.5W. The cost of my servers are around $20-$30. I have a few TL-WR703N.

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n
https://github.com/SmartArduino/TL-WR703N

The most useful I did is to extend wifi from and Android NOT rooted and Create a Hot Spot via standard rdnis/Android USB connection.

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

Moose On The Loose wrote:This posting is from a machine running 528 with a huge list of things added.
For a while I was looking to move to Precise-lite but
1) I found that the printing to a Windows machine via cups wouldn't
2) The arrangement of icons put one of my drive icons on top of other
3) The "browser" thing didn't work
4) The help was helpless

Suddenly seamonkey started working for youtube again so I went back to what was all working perfectly for me.
Lots of things have been removed and been tinkered with Precise Lite it seems. I use Precise 571 with Tahr 605 kernel and have only removed the old browser, libLLVM and the Radeon and Nouveau drivers from the original base sfs. Added some of Precise Lite's improvements so I can run a new browser, etc. Base sfs is only 82mb (max xz compression). I use this on a daily basis, runs like a greyhound possessed and does everything I need. Oldest Puppy I'm still using, is a customised Racy, 65mb in size, also running with Tahr 605 kernel. Almost as good.
Last edited by nic007 on Thu 28 May 2020, 00:21, edited 2 times in total.

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

Burn_IT wrote:I have 4.2 and 4.31 somewhere in my collection.
I run 4.1.2 occasionally. First Puppy I used. Bit useless as far as internet browsing is concerned.

enrique

#10 Post by enrique »

Interesting. That bring me to the next question. I guess I have to ask.

Ignoring Browsers issues. We all know new Browser requirements are to high. What is the oldest useful/working Puppy today?

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

enrique wrote:Interesting. That bring me to the next question. I guess I have to ask.

Ignoring Browsers issues. We all know new Browser requirements are to high. What is the oldest useful/working Puppy today?
Difficult to say. Probably Wary or Racy if you want the capabilities of using a relatively recent internet browser as well with some tinkering (I mean, can't really have a proper pc experience without a useful internet browser). There is more room for expansion and upgrading (if you want to) using Precise 571 with newer kernel, etc. for example though.

enrique

#12 Post by enrique »

nic007 thanks

For any next answer. Please Ignore Browser or Social Media.

When I say working, meaning any desktop manager, run at least Gnumeric, Geany, Abiword. The Idea is that it can manage most general Linux task. Lets put it in another way. Oldest Puppy I can most likely boot and show it is useful to another linux user. Your response will be used it to test those oldies ahead.

I know for a Youtube fan or a Social media guy this is useless. Not to me. Thanks ahead.

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

Well, if you don't mind internet any old puppy can actually do if you have an old machine. As said, my first puppy was 412, so that's the oldest I have experience with. It's functional. There is actually an additional external site dedicated just for that puppy because people loved it so much. See - 412collection.neocities.org. There is no definite answer to your question. Best would be to try them and see for yourself.

ndujoe1

#14 Post by ndujoe1 »

I have mentioned here before I began with puppylinux 1.08rl

mikeslr

LegacyOS is worth exploring

#15 Post by mikeslr »

enrique wrote:nic007 thanks

For any next answer. Please Ignore Browser or Social Media.
With that in mind, John Biles' Teenpup and its re-branding as LegacyOS are perhaps the most beautiful and application-rich Puppies ever published. You can find them here, https://sourceforge.net/projects/legacyoslinux/files/ and here, https://archive.org/search.php?query=Teenpup.

For a recent discussion, see, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 52#1001852. Caution: my recollection is that they can NOT be run from Linux Ext4 partitions.

If you do decide to take on online despite the warning, the SSE version of Palemoon may work.

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ enrique:-

There is always the option I employed when Darry and I were playing around with his re-spin on 431, the "Phoenix"....and where watchdog pointed the way. And that is to use a chroot 'jail'.

Essentially, you're running a second, much newer Puppy - preferably mounted external to your 'vintage' Puppy - with the applications you want to run installed manually, because it's a complete PITA to try and automate this part of it. But that's where all these self-contained, 'portable' browsers come into their own, 'cos they're easy to use.

watchdog originally used a Precise 'jail' for Palemoon, and it worked very well. I, however, wanted to be able to run at least one, fairly up-to-date Chromium-based browser, so I did a bit of head-scratching, a wee bit of research, and came to the conclusion that Tahrpup would be the best bet for a jail. And it all worked bloody well!

I suspect, however, that part of the reason it worked so well for the "Phoenix" was because of the fact that along with various other upgrades, Darry had also upgraded 431 to use glibc-2.19, which I believe he found somewhere over at archive.org.

I have a nasty feeling that if you try to run a substantially newer chroot 'jail' from a Puppy with a complete suite of much older system libs, etc., then you'll come unstuck. I don't think it would have worked from 'vanilla' 431, for instance.

If you're interested, take a look here at the "Phoenix"'s thread:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116679

Just a suggestion, 'cos I know poor old Nic gets seriously "freaked-out" by the sheer size of some of the things I do with Puppy. I accept it's getting away from the whole point of running something as tiny as Puppy in the first place, but......ah, well. "Horses for courses", y'know? :lol:

"One man's meat..." and all that.... :D

(*shrug*)

Mike. :wink:

enrique

#17 Post by enrique »

I did ask for second time because I kind understood there where issues with 1rts generation Puppies. Lets use Mike Walsh for sample: "You may have issues getting them to run"

So instead of starting to test and get stuck my self I was in the hope you guys will point out your best choices.

So suggestions where:
fredx181's Wheezy
ndujoe1's puppylinux 1.08rl
Moose On The Loose.s 528
Burn_IT's 4.2 and 4.31
nic007 .s Oldest Puppy I'm still using, is a customised Racy, 65mb in size, also running with Tahr 605 kernel. Almost as good. and 412collection.neocities.org
mikeslr's John Biles' Teenpup and its re-branding as LegacyOS
Mike Walsh's "Darry had also upgraded 431 to use glibc-2.19,"

Nice list to start:

Love suggestions on NOT to use ext4 and Mike Walsh is a genius. Well I do not go necessary for Jail, but CHROOT is a good way to go. This is the some what equivalent as running old stuff on a new working kernel. Interesting.

THANKS to all

666philb

#18 Post by 666philb »

Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

enrique

#19 Post by enrique »

I did try puppy-1.0.8r1 on my newer Laptop. Funny it see the partitions but unable to mount.

I will have to undust my old Laptop to be able to inspect the old OS. I hope to do it today.

Thanks for the links 666philb .

Meanwhile I will continue with mikes suggestion on "Darry had also upgraded 431 to use glibc-2.19" as it seems it was upgraded to work on newer PC.

mikeslr

Saluki -- Still a great Puppy

#20 Post by mikeslr »

Not ancient. Yesterday I remembered that I had an Asus 701SD, https://www.linux-netbook.com/asus-eee-pc-701sd/ and wondered what I had installed and was it still usable. It booted into Saluki (I think) version 19. Of course, any application not having to do with the web ran. But I was pleased to find that Mike Walsh's Seamonkey 2.46 portable gave reasonably satisfactory performance given that this eeepc only has 512 RAM.

Neither dpup-stretch nor Slacko 5.7.2CE ran better on that computer. So I've taken your query as an opportunity to fondly remember jemimah, Saluki's creator. If racy was wary on steroid, Saluki took racy to a new level while incorporating innovations some of which have become Puppy-Standards; others --such as Custom-Builder-- not yet duplicated.

Various bullds of Saluki can be found here, https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Saluki together with a torrent relating to pet packages. Thanks, Ally. Pets and SFSes can also be found here, http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/. Thanks, smokey. And most racy and Carolina applications can also be used OOTB.