Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 23 Jun 2017, 06:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to record a digital audio stream in Tahr 605? (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 5 [68 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Author Message
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 460

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr 2017, 12:30    Post subject:  How to record a digital audio stream in Tahr 605? (Solved)  

Hello
I have tahr605 on a dell vostro 1320,dual core 2.2ghz, 2gb ram frugal install.
I am trying to record an audio stream from spot y. I am having no luck with audacity also audacity under wine. Is there a program that I could use with tahr605 that is simple to use or has anyone got audacity working, and how.
Thanks
number77

Last edited by number77 on Fri 05 May 2017, 12:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 12540
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr 2017, 19:25    Post subject:  

The audio stream is from 'spot y'? Do you know if the signal you're trying to record is analog or digital? If it's analog, the Puppy solution may lie in mhWaveEdit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
don570


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 4599
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr 2017, 19:49    Post subject:  

Quote:
no luck with audacity


retrovol mixer and audacity

I believe the setting you should select is called 'mix'
rather than 'line'

__________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Smithy


Joined: 12 Dec 2011
Posts: 734

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr 2017, 20:18    Post subject:  

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 12540
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr 2017, 23:04    Post subject:  

Smithy wrote:
.
?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 460

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 03:02    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
The audio stream is from 'spot y'? Do you know if the signal you're trying to record is analog or digital? If it's analog, the Puppy solution may lie in mhWaveEdit.

I think its digital and have recorded quite a bit using audacity, but on xp. I want to record the digital stream anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 460

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 03:05    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
Quote:
no luck with audacity


retrovol mixer and audacity

I believe the setting you should select is called 'mix'
rather than 'line'

__________________________________

Sorry to be dense but how do I access retrovol mixer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
anikin

Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 897

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 03:23    Post subject: Re: How to record an audio stream in Tahr 605?  

number77 wrote:
Hello
I have tahr605 on a dell vostro 1320,dual core 2.2ghz, 2gb ram frugal install.
I am trying to record an audio stream from spot y. I am having no luck with audacity also audacity under wine. Is there a program that I could use with tahr605 that is simple to use or has anyone got audacity working, and how.
Thanks
number77

It's really easy:

Quote:
Capturing audio with ffmpeg and ALSA is pretty much straightforward:
Code:
ffmpeg -f alsa <input_options> -i <input_device> ... output.wav
see here for more https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/ALSA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 460

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 03:50    Post subject: Re: How to record an audio stream in Tahr 605?  

anikin wrote:
number77 wrote:
Hello
I have tahr605 on a dell vostro 1320,dual core 2.2ghz, 2gb ram frugal install.
I am trying to record an audio stream from spot y. I am having no luck with audacity also audacity under wine. Is there a program that I could use with tahr605 that is simple to use or has anyone got audacity working, and how.
Thanks
number77

It's really easy:

Quote:
Capturing audio with ffmpeg and ALSA is pretty much straightforward:
Code:
ffmpeg -f alsa <input_options> -i <input_device> ... output.wav
see here for more https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/ALSA

Sorry anilkin that is a bit beyond me at present. Where is alsaMixer or do I have to install it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
OscarTalks


Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Posts: 1532
Location: London, England

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 04:15    Post subject:  

MPlayer will record a digital stream as a digital file so you are not losing quality by converting back and forth digital to analogue and vice versa.
3.4.1. Saving streamed content
Once you succeed in making MPlayer play your favorite internet stream, you can use the option -dumpstream to save the stream into a file. For example:
Code:
mplayer http://217.71.208.37:8006 -dumpstream -dumpfile stream.mp3
will save the content streamed from http://217.71.208.37:8006 into stream.mp3. This works with all protocols supported by MPlayer, like MMS, RTSP, and so forth.
TahrPup does not have MPlayer but there is one here you can try:
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/mplayer-37905-i686-tahr.pet

_________________
Oscar in England

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
anikin

Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 897

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 05:31    Post subject: Re: How to record an audio stream in Tahr 605?  

number77 wrote:
...
Sorry anilkin that is a bit beyond me at present. Where is alsaMixer or do I have to install it.
Bring up a terminal and type: "alsamixer" (without quotes). To navigate around it press F1 for help, F2 for system info, F6 to select sound card and press ESC to exit when you are done. You can't deal with audio in Linux without learning how to use alsamixer, which is really not complicated at all. It's a primitive tool.
alsamixer.jpeg
 Description   
 Filesize   47.86 KB
 Viewed   239 Time(s)

alsamixer.jpeg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
theru

Joined: 23 Jul 2015
Posts: 126
Location: Heers, Belgium

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 11:48    Post subject:  

Retrovol is a graphic frontend for alsamixer. Changes in one are reflected in the other.

You can see which playback/capture devices are detected by right clicking on the speaker icon in the taskbar and selecting "full window". Is the device you want to use among them? And if yes, is it turned on (checkmark)?

Which devices does the command arecord -l give you in a terminal?

As a test I recorded a small sample using my netbook's microphone. It worked after I selected "capture" in retrovol.

A personal observation:

I saw on my netbook that in alsamixer the capture slider was listed under capture devices but oddly enough internal mic was listed under playback devices. I later learned that activating the internal mic slider caused the captured audio to be outputted immediately through the speakers. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 460

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 00:27    Post subject: Re: How to record an audio stream in Tahr 605?  

anikin wrote:
number77 wrote:
...
Sorry anilkin that is a bit beyond me at present. Where is alsaMixer or do I have to install it.
Bring up a terminal and type: "alsamixer" (without quotes). To navigate around it press F1 for help, F2 for system info, F6 to select sound card and press ESC to exit when you are done. You can't deal with audio in Linux without learning how to use alsamixer, which is really not complicated at all. It's a primitive tool.

That works fine, thanks, still cant record stream though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 460

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 00:30    Post subject:  

theru wrote:
Retrovol is a graphic frontend for alsamixer. Changes in one are reflected in the other.

You can see which playback/capture devices are detected by right clicking on the speaker icon in the taskbar and selecting "full window". Is the device you want to use among them? And if yes, is it turned on (checkmark)?

Which devices does the command arecord -l give you in a terminal?

As a test I recorded a small sample using my netbook's microphone. It worked after I selected "capture" in retrovol.

A personal observation:

I saw on my netbook that in alsamixer the capture slider was listed under capture devices but oddly enough internal mic was listed under playback devices. I later learned that activating the internal mic slider caused the captured audio to be outputted immediately through the speakers. Confused

arecord -l gives me the sound card correctly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 460

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 00:49    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
Quote:
no luck with audacity


retrovol mixer and audacity

I believe the setting you should select is called 'mix'
rather than 'line'

__________________________________

Please expand, I cant find reference to mix or line. Audacity does give me the option of dmix but only as output device. I also can only get input device as analogue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 5 [68 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0950s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0041s) ][ GZIP on ]