XOrg only shows black screen with a cross "X" mouse pointer

Please post any bugs you have found
bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

No one believes in the simple rule.

If it is not broken, do not try to fix it. :shock:

Updating, just to update, is trying to fix something that does not need fixing.

I just got a very new computer.

The only update I needed was the driver for the WIFI.
The version of Puppy, I was using, did not have the driver.
Why?
Because hard to have a driver for hardware that was not in existence when the Puppy version was developed.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

Maybe I will be trying Tahrpup
Tahrpups update feature is controlled by the developer of Tahrpup.
He only puts stuff in it that actually fixes something or adds a needed feature.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

CandyManJ

#18 Post by CandyManJ »

bigpup wrote:No one believes in the simple rule.

If it is not broken, do not try to fix it. :shock:

Updating, just to update, is trying to fix something that does not need fixing.

I just got a very new computer.

The only update I needed was the driver for the WIFI.
The version of Puppy, I was using, did not have the driver.
Why?
Because hard to have a driver for hardware that was not in existence when the Puppy version was developed.
But what if you want more features? Or better support for certain hardware?

CandyManJ

#19 Post by CandyManJ »

8Geee wrote:After all these posts, we find that the REAL problem is the X11 update, which was pointed out after you discovered it. Now that we offer a solution, you don't want it. I'd almost guarantee that the X11 file order is the culprit. A simple reversing the download-order will keep Puppy from breaking. And not for nothing, there is a 2nd Slacko update that will totally bork Puppy if an old version of a file is not removed when doing the update (this is a Slackware problem, not a Puppy problem).

Some others keep track and offer pre-packaged solutions, which is a great help.
For what little its worth by now, this particular version of Slacko5.7 is fully patched with all updates as of March 2017 (3 years worth). Printing and browser work nicely. Its nearly turn-key.

Regards
8Geee
Today it is X11, tomorrow its something else.

CandyManJ

#20 Post by CandyManJ »

8Geee wrote:Puppy is a great distro, its not the end-all-be-all that some OS's try hard to be. If the word compromise is still in one's dictionary, Puppy is a great compromise. Still, the end-user determines whats added and whats removed. Like all packaged distros Linux or otherwise, the end-user needs to improve "default" settings to their own taste, and that includes any browser supplied.

Regards
8Geee
What about security updates that fix vulnerabilities?

That is what I mean:
realwigums wrote:firefox (or any browser for that matter)is THE largest security problem for anyone regardless of OS. i always end up being the maintainer for firefox packages on whatever distro project i happen to be working on.

firefox issues its security and bug fixes as a new version of firefox.

my point being is that yes you do NEED to update to the latest firefox if you want to be secure
anything prior to the current firefox version is mostly riddled with holes and security issues.

a great resource for known security issues is the slackware security mailing list.

http://www.slackware.com/lists/

and here is an URL that you can look through and see all the firefox issues over the years. like i said when they issue a new version its usually a security issue

http://www.slackware.com/security/

also mozillas firefox security advisories
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... s/firefox/

8Geee

#21 Post by 8Geee »

As I posted earlier the particular link to Slacko5.7 updated has all the Slackware updates to March 2017, and the FireFox thats installed is more secure than default. I cannot, and will not speak for other distros made by other people.

As to the apparent X11 / x boot-up problem, that is patched in the particular Slacko5.7, as is the nasty one that borks the Puppy completely. After March, cheeck in at slackware as others have suggested. I do go there and warn others if an update forgets to clean-up after itself, or gets wonky. In some cases like doing an Openssl update, or X11, or the nasty update, I'd be inclined to remaster the whole Pup, and toss the old one.

JMHO
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."