How to change LS_COLORS in Fatdog 710?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bpuppy

How to change LS_COLORS in Fatdog 710?

#1 Post by bpuppy »

Hi everyone,

First, thank you to all those who made this distro come to reality. I like it very much.

I am now using Fatdog 710 and I have a slight problem:

How do i change the LS_COLORS to change the directories' color from blue to yellow?

Also, what main applications in the slacko repositories made you decide to use slackware instead of others?

Thanks in advance,
bpuppy

SFR

#2 Post by SFR »

bpuppy wrote:First, thank you to all those who made this distro come to reality. I like it very much.
Thanks, appreciated.
How do i change the LS_COLORS to change the directories' color from blue to yellow?

Code: Select all

export LS_COLORS='di=01;33'
Also, what main applications in the slacko repositories made you decide to use slackware instead of others?
Fatdog has not much to do with Slackware, except that it uses its package format/manager.
FD (700 series) is independent distro, built based on recipes from Linux From Scratch.
It's spiritually related to Puppy, though.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

bpuppy

#3 Post by bpuppy »

Thanks SFR for your prompt reply.

I find strange that i had already this bit of code in ~/.bashrc:

# yellow dirs
export LS_COLORS='di=1;33:fi=0:ln=4;36:pi=0:so=0:bd=0:cd=0:or=31:*.deb=91'

...but it was not working though the rest of bashrc was sourced ok.
Actually, this bit of code works only when i enter it directly from fatdog's defaultterm and has to be re-exported everytime i start it... any ideas why ?

Also, while we are at it :wink: , all text in ROX is in bold font as the default font size. How do i change it to regular size ?

I saw (uhmm somewhere) that there was a shortcut key combo to have the defaultterm open quickly in any ROX directories, but i can't remember what it is... This is so handy!

This should wrap it up...

Thanks again for your time.

bpuppy

SFR

#4 Post by SFR »

bpuppy wrote:I find strange that i had already this bit of code in ~/.bashrc:

# yellow dirs 
export LS_COLORS='di=1;33:fi=0:ln=4;36:pi=0:so=0:bd=0:cd=0:or=31:*.deb=91'
...but it was not working though the rest of bashrc was sourced ok.
Actually, this bit of code works only when i enter it directly from fatdog's defaultterm and has to be re-exported everytime i start it... any ideas why ?
If a part of .bashrc was sourced, then perhaps just adding

alias ls='ls --color'
to it would fix the problem?

Anyway, it works for me ok if I use ~/.profile instead.

Also, while we are at it ;), all text in ROX is in bold font as the default font size. How do i change it to regular size ?
The bold font indicates that given file/dir has been recently (last 5 minutes) modified and/or changed.
ROX-Filer/src/diritem.c wrote:#define RECENT_DELAY (5 * 60) /* Time in seconds to consider a file recent */
If (almost) everything is bold and it persists, even after refreshing, then perhaps there's something wrong with system time?
If it's set to past date, before December 2016, then all system files and dirs (they've got 03-Dec-2016 timestamp) will show as "recent".

I saw (uhmm somewhere) that there was a shortcut key combo to have the defaultterm open quickly in any ROX directories, but i can't remember what it is... This is so handy!
Yep, it's backtick: `.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Is there no existing thread for Fatdog 710?

bpuppy

Changing to Fatdog 710 thread then...

#6 Post by bpuppy »

@Flash and SFR:

You are right!
As i was not replying to anyone's post, i clicked 'new topic' thinking it would be appended to the Fatdog thread but it did a completely new thread instead.

That's a forum's newbie writer's mistake.
I must have used the forum 3 times since 2009 !! and i never use it on any other sites.

Thank you for reminding me.
bpuppy