Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 07:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Is user data lost if system didn't shut down correctly?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Author Message
CandyManJ

Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 03:13    Post subject:  Is user data lost if system didn't shut down correctly?  

Hi,

Since everything is loaded into RAMDisk, doesn't that mean that if the system shut down incorrectly, Puppy wont be able to save the changes made to the files in /root such as documents, etc...? So if I was working on a document saved in /root/my-documents, what would happen to it if power went down?

If someone can give a brief explanation of how Puppy works regarding how it boots and such, since the information written in Wiki is not really neat, and has many grammar mistakes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
drunkjedi


Joined: 24 May 2015
Posts: 684

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 04:11    Post subject:  

Don't let grammar stop you. Wink

What you say is the behavior many of us like and use primarily.
Puppy has a setting in event manager which controls the save interval.
Which is after how much time the files in RAM will be written to savefile.
So basically you can set it to 1 sec and lose only one second worth data.
But many like me set it to 0. So nothing is saved untill we click save button.
This is about system files though, any document residing on your disk will still be changed when you click that save button in it's editor app.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
CandyManJ

Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 07:38    Post subject:  

drunkjedi wrote:
Don't let grammar stop you. Wink

What you say is the behavior many of us like and use primarily.
Puppy has a setting in event manager which controls the save interval.
Which is after how much time the files in RAM will be written to savefile.
So basically you can set it to 1 sec and lose only one second worth data.
But many like me set it to 0. So nothing is saved untill we click save button.
This is about system files though, any document residing on your disk will still be changed when you click that save button in it's editor app.


Each day I respect this distro more Razz

I went to the event manager, but the Save Interval is disabled, I can't set it to anything, it is set to default to 30 minutes and I can't change that, also, it says in the paragraph above that I am using PUPMODE=12, what does that mean?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 11528
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 08:01    Post subject:  

CandyManJ wrote:
it says in the paragraph above that I am using PUPMODE=12, what does that mean?

That means that you are using a conventional frugal install with a save file/folder. It is NOT loaded into RAM and your data is constantly written back to the hard drive.

If you shut down improperly, you may get an error message on the next reboot, but this is usually recoverable.

In a PUPMODE=13 setup, the data from your current session is held in RAM until you flush it back to the drive. This is how most flash drive installs work. This current data would be lost during an improper shutdown.

Most experienced Puppy users keep very little in /root. They will put documents/music/photos, etc. in locations outside of their savefile structure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
CandyManJ

Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 11:18    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
CandyManJ wrote:
it says in the paragraph above that I am using PUPMODE=12, what does that mean?

That means that you are using a conventional frugal install with a save file/folder. It is NOT loaded into RAM and your data is constantly written back to the hard drive.

If you shut down improperly, you may get an error message on the next reboot, but this is usually recoverable.

In a PUPMODE=13 setup, the data from your current session is held in RAM until you flush it back to the drive. This is how most flash drive installs work. This current data would be lost during an improper shutdown.

Most experienced Puppy users keep very little in /root. They will put documents/music/photos, etc. in locations outside of their savefile structure.


But we can benefit from the encrypted save file by keeping our data in /root, right? If I want to keep my data safe in that save file.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 11528
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 11:54    Post subject:  

CandyManJ wrote:
But we can benefit from the encrypted save file by keeping our data in /root, right? If I want to keep my data safe in that save file.

You mean safe from other people versus safe from corruption.

You should look at ways of making a reliable backup copy of your encrypted save file.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0444s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0037s) ][ GZIP on ]