How do I install a printer if CUPS doesn't see it?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
p310don

How do I install a printer if CUPS doesn't see it?

#1 Post by p310don »

I have a Docket / Receipt printer, Epson TM-T88IV that is connected to the PC via USB.

It did have a parallel port connection, which I changed to USB. I believe that I did that correctly (it is a trivial task). However, now that I connect the printer to the PC, the printer is not seen by CUPS when I go to add it.

The printer was up until recently hooked up via Parallel Port to a Windows machine, and working fine.

With the USB connection, lsusb shows that it is seen:

Code: Select all

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 04b8:0202 Seiko Epson Corp. Receipt Printer M129C/TM-T70
but, going to CUPS, Find New Printer - there is nothing. Nor in CUPS, Add Printer - there is no USB Epson printer connected. Only options are for CUPS-PDF, SCSI and Serial port.

I have downloaded the PPD drivers for the printer, but can't use them until I can get past this point.

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

note: I have tried this with 3 different PCs, all running Tahr. And two different USB cables.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Have you tried the procedures posted here:
How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

It did have a parallel port connection, which I changed to USB. I believe that I did that correctly (it is a trivial task).
Details please.
I have downloaded the PPD drivers for the printer, but can't use them until I can get past this point.
Details please. There is no such thing as a PPD driver.

p310don

#5 Post by p310don »

bigpup wrote
Have you tried the procedures posted here:

Yes, this time and many times before. After puppy printer install number 7, I've run into a snag.

rcrsn51 wrote
Details please.
The Epson docket printers have an expansion slot in the back that is changeable to take different interfaces. It is pretty cool, you just undo two screws, change the card and away you go. There are dip switches to adjust, but AFAIK they are the same for parallel and USB.

FYI:

printer info here:

http://www.epson.com.au/pos/products/re ... id=tmt88iv

interface change info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twluucOJ3PI

dip switch settings info here:

http://www.bchospitality.biz/dip-switch ... -printers/

[/code]

p310don

#6 Post by p310don »

Details please. There is no such thing as a PPD driver.
Perhaps the term I used is incorrect? The PPD file is the file that tells linux how to print to the printer, if I'm correct. I believe CUPS uses that to print properly, kind of like a driver?

I downloaded it from here:

https://download.epson-biz.com/modules/ ... 32&pcat=52

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

1, Go to How to Install your Printer in Puppy and jump to the Brother thread.
2. Install the debbi tool. Read about how to run it using tab-completion.
3. Unpack the driver package that you downloaded. It contains a folder named tmx-cups.
4. Open the backend folder. There two i386.deb files. Run debbi on them.
5. Open the filter folder. There is one i386.deb file. Run debbi on it.
6. Open the ppd folder. Copy the three files to /usr/share/cups/model.
7. Run the CUPS wizard. There should now be a special backend that will recognize your printer.

p310don

#8 Post by p310don »

Will try when I get home. At work now. Thanks for your help. Hopefully it will work :)

p310don

#9 Post by p310don »

WORKING

I am not 100% sure of the correct procedure at this point in time.

I did not properly read the instructions. The very first thing it said on the brother thread about debbi was to have the printer turned on. I didn't do that.

Otherwise, I followed the instructions explicitly, but there was no dice.

Then I went back to the "How to install your printer in Puppy" thread, and decided that rcrsn51 must have made an error and put debbi instead of eppi. eppi being for Espon printers. So I followed the instructions on that thread, including having the printer turned on.

Still, didn't work.

I was about to report a complete failure, but I decided to try a reboot (me not being command line savvy enough to know how to restart CUPS) and it worked!

Sorry I haven't given a definitive report of exactly which method worked, but one of them did. If anyone cares, I can do it again. rcrsn51, you might be able to let me know if there is actually any difference to the eppi and debbi scripts apart from name?

Either way, thank you very much for your assistance :)

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

I am REALLY surprised that it worked!. The download package has a complicated install script that only applies to big-boy Linuxes.

You said "Still didn't work". Was this because CUPS still couldn't find the device?

It may have some auto-detection feature that only works on a reboot.

Regarding debbi vs eppi: eppi has some stuff needed by regular Epson printers that I didn't think applied to your device. Debbi is a more generic DEB installer. I may have been wrong about that.

p310don

#11 Post by p310don »

You said "Still didn't work". Was this because CUPS still couldn't find the device?
Correct. The CUPS wizard using either find new printer or add new printer did not see it at all. After the reboot, find new printed still didn't work, but add new printer had it all filled in and ready to roll.

I am REALLY surprised that it worked!
rcrsn51, please don't say things like that. You are the GOD of printing in Puppy. When you're surprised that it works, it doesn't give me a whole lot of faith! But it did work, so you get to keep your deified status IMHO !!

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

What version of Puppy?

What version of Cups?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rockedge

#13 Post by rockedge »

to restart CUPS from the command line :

Code: Select all

#/etc/init.d/cups restart

p310don

#14 Post by p310don »

To conclude this thread, I did a couple of tests on a vanilla install of Tahr 6.05 to get this printer working.

rcrsn51's instructions are almost complete. A restart is required to make it work. I tried simply restarting CUPS, but that wasn't enough. Both the Brother Debbi tool and the Epson Eppi tool work, however I feel that Eppi is slightly better. The Eppi tool allows CUPS to us the "find new printers" button, and correctly names the printer. The Debbi tool failed to "find new printers" but "add printer" had it there. Debbi named the printer simply "USB".

My instructions, added to rcrsn51's instructions to install this docket printer in Puppy.

1, Go to How to the Brother printer thread.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 449#466449

2. Install the eppi tool. Read about how to run it using tab-completion.

3. Download the driver from the Epson website here:

https://download.epson-biz.com/modules/ ... 32&pcat=52

4. Unpack the driver package that you downloaded. It contains a folder named tmx-cups.

5. Open the backend folder in the tmx-cups folder. There two i386.deb files. Run eppi on them.

6. Open the filter folder. There is one i386.deb file. Run eppi on it.

7. Open the ppd folder. Copy the three files to /usr/share/cups/model.

8. Reboot the computer.

9. Run the CUPS wizard. There should now be a special backend that will recognize your printer. Go to the Administration tab, and click on "Find New Printers" and follow the prompts.

Thanks to rcrsn51 for his continued support and hand holding and to bigpup for pointing me in the right direction also.