SImple ZoneMinder CCTV Install

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
rockedge

SImple ZoneMinder CCTV Install

#1 Post by rockedge »

zoneminder-1.30.4.pet is 263 megs. Download and install. ZM will be started and the web console can be reached with :

Code: Select all

http://localhost/zm
or

https://localhost/zm
in a terminal:

#zoneminder status
All passwords are default except where noted.
The webserver root is /root/Web-Server
http://localhost/phpmyadmin :
user = root
password = admin
zoneminder :
user = admin
password = admin
ZoneMinder Home

Documentation on ZoneMinder is Here

zoneminder Wiki
Last edited by rockedge on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 23:20, edited 4 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Jeez, 263 MB. Have you actually installed this and used it?

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

works well. I have tested the system with 70 network cameras on a Dell Optiplex 990 4 core 8 Gigs of RAM. Running on Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0.6 and this setup can easily compete in reliability and speed with full blown Ubuntu installs of zoneminder. This PET is for those few who need a home and /or business camera security and have an older desktop or laptop that can run this. Recommended as a dedicated Puppy+ zoneminder system it does push up the memory requirements. But in return one gets a full featured camera security system that can compete with most expensive commercial systems. This is a tool and is designed for a system like Tahr 6.0.6 that is robust, reliable and FAST and can be stored installed and booted from and to many types of storage mediums. So this provides such a system which is hard for even the most experienced IT types to get going, to be installed by anyone running Puppy Linux Tahr with one click. Your Welcome.

P.S. plus the Hiawatha web server will really blaze WordPress or a huge variety of other scripts.

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Although I don't have a use for it now, it would have been most welcome a few years ago when I did.

Thank you for sharing your work.

perdido

#5 Post by perdido »

Question about Zoneminder.

I have a few old android phones. Will Zoneminder allow me to connect these as cameras on a wireless network?

It would be using the network generated by one of the wireless phones connecting all the devices together, no sim cards so not an internet connection, just a closed network.

Or does it only work with an internet connection and have to be connected to the internet?

rockedge

#6 Post by rockedge »

yes you can. Use zmNinja for the phone and use http://localhost/zm for the home network when the phone is connected to the home LAN you can use zmNinja to interface zoneminder. zmNinja is in the app store. and is also available for iOS

There also is a zmView app which works great as well and has a free version.

one could use the web console from ZM there is a skin for mobile use but it is bare bones compared to the other 2 apps.

there are also ways of using the old android phones as network cameras...the network can be completely local and never be exposed to the internet...and the phone as camera will work.

perdido

#7 Post by perdido »

Thanks for the info and the ZM pet.

There is an armadillo I have been trying to catch, they are nocturnal middle of the night types and skittish. ZM may be helpful.

I can see a ton of uses for old android cameras.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

You probably already know this Perdido, if the phones have wifi, they can connect to the Internet without a SIM card. My $20 Tracfone will.

perdido

#9 Post by perdido »

Flash wrote:You probably already know this Perdido, if the phones have wifi, they can connect to the Internet without a SIM card. My $20 Tracfone will.
Yea if I was looking to connect to the internet. I have 3 old android phones that are basically useless,
the frequencies they support are outdated but each will connect to a wireless network or create a wireless network.

So I was considering just using one to create a network, connect the other two as cameras and have
a simple remote camera system not connected to internet, sort of a not-internet of things thing.

The last time I investigated this I could not find a program that used the android phones outside the internet,
they all required a wireless internet connection to function.

rockedge

#10 Post by rockedge »

I think with something like IP CAM that will turn the android phone into a webcam. This stream is readable by zoneminder. This all can happen with out having contact to the Internet. It can run totally on a LAN or WLAN. Closed circuit TV as they say in old tech speak.

There are some other methods for turning the old android into a network cam, another is using VLC to stream the camera. ZoneMinder can read these streams as well.
this will work also I think https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... merastream and just about any of this type of app should work well with zoneminder.

perdido

#11 Post by perdido »

rockedge wrote:I think with something like IP CAM that will turn the android phone into a webcam. This stream is readable by zoneminder. This all can happen with out having contact to the Internet. It can run totally on a LAN or WLAN. Closed circuit TV as they say in old tech speak.

There are some other methods for turning the old android into a network cam, another is using VLC to stream the camera. ZoneMinder can read these streams as well.
this will work also I think https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... merastream and just about any of this type of app should work well with zoneminder.
The VLC looks most interesting, thanks.
I do not do google play store, no googaccounts, so VLC offering its builds
on site suits me better. If and when I get this sorted I will report back.

dancytron

#12 Post by dancytron »

You probably already know this, but there are a number of ways to get apk's (android apps) without using Google.

One example, this site has them for download, then you can install them just by clicking on them in the file manager.

http://www.apkmirror.com/

Also, f-droid is an open source alternative to the google play application.

https://f-droid.org/

It also allows you to download individual apk's without using their app.

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/

There are also some websites that generate direct download links to download stuff to your computer from the Google Play store. I haven't tried them, but that would be another way to get apps without Google Play.

edit: Just out of curiousity, I tried http://apk-dl.com/ and was able to download the ip camera app from above without Google Play.

gabtech

Zoneminder

#13 Post by gabtech »

Hi rockedge, I just downloaded your tahr-zoneminder iso on the zoneminder forum. Thanks for the package.

qxotic

New to Puppy - will this work the same on bionic pup?

#14 Post by qxotic »

I'm new to puppy linux. I have used ubuntu for some time.. running mate on one machine, and an 18.04 headless server on another. Today is the first time for me hearing about PETs and sfs.

I am putting together a system to hopefully connect to some analog cctv cameras which have bnc cable connections.

Has anyone been able to get the EZcap bnc.. to usb capture devices to work with puppy?

Does this PET also work with the newer 8.0 version of puppy?

My test system was running 18.04 mate fine, It has 16G of ram... I like the idea of loading puppy off of a usb, and using an ssd for the video capture.

Zoneminder seems a bit entailed to install.. but have not tackled it yet.

Is there an ISO with it already set up?.. or what's the process to use this PET after puppy is installed?

Thank you for any input.

rockedge

#15 Post by rockedge »

Hello qxotic

First of all Welcome to the Kennels! I think you after some practice with the PET's and SFS files and the seeing the differences you will be able to do some really useful stuff.

With ZoneMinder installed you will be able to capture from the analog video card. The Tahr ready made ZM ISO is a bit outdated and the PET is specific to Tahr-6.0.5. which will work fine and the ZM version 1.30.4 can be upgraded to ZM version 1.34.0 fairly easily...BUT I would recommend using a fresh Bionic64 or 32 and running these scripts I've prepared for installing ZM into Bionic

I would recommend using Bionic and running these scripts which will install the latest version of ZM and the supporting LHMP. I supply Hiawatha as the web server since Puppy comes out of the box with a version of Hiawatha and I find in it easier to configure than Apache. Of course it is possible once installed at some point to install Apache and use that as a LAMP instead of the LHMP.

here are those scripts -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117722

Use them individually so start with fresh Bionic and load the Devx SFS which contains the PERL needed and also the gcc compiler before you run the scripts.

First start with 01-install-maria.sh then run 02-install-zm.sh

Please let me know if you need any help getting it going. Look at the ZM documentation and the forum for any further information on how to get your analog card working with ZoneMinder

ZoneMinder v1.34.1 manual -> https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/1.34.1/userguide/
Last edited by rockedge on Sun 26 Jan 2020, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

qxotic

Puppy version

#16 Post by qxotic »

Hello rockedge,

Thank you for the welcome.

I have the bionic 64 ISO downloaded but have not yet burned the image for install. I noticed from the new forum link you gave that some 32 bit support is needed. Would it be better to load a 32bit version .. or am I better off going with the 64?

End use.. I would like puppy to be on usb and I will save video to an ssd which I can swap out when review is needed (this may be in a location away from home with no internet.. so instead of trying to review footage remotely I want to be able to swap the ssd and review the data back home.)

I'm not sure which approach to take on installing puppy. Should I use one usb and use that as a live cd to install on a usb on the system... or.. it sounds like there is an option to write back the ISO and use only one? Is one approach better than the other?

It probably sounds like I have not done any research, but I've been watching youtube videos and reading websites for almost two days straight.. I try to pick up what I can before taking up anyone's time. Even though I try diligently to get a good understanding before asking questions I still sometimes miss things I should have caught. Forgive me if that is the case, your time and help is appreciated. My system is built... but didn't want to jump in installing without a better understanding of the approach. There are not a lot of bionic puppy install how to videos... is the process the same as older versions? Thanks again.

rockedge

#17 Post by rockedge »

Yes the install for Bionic is the same as older Puppies. Any questions and we can help with that.

The 32 bit library support isn't needed for ZM but I seem to load the 32bit compatibility library SFS as a routine, although if not needed can be unloaded using the SFS-Load-on-the-fly program.

This is a good easy way to make a bootable Puppy USB drive.
It is considered a "Frugal" install. This is the best method to install so avoid "Full Install". The "Frugal" method is very versatile and the recommended way to use Puppy Linux to get it's full potential!

1. boot the computer with BIonic on CD
2. insert the usb drive and open GParted
3. ON the USB drive create a new partition and format the drive to ext3 or ext2 and set the boot flag to ON
4. create a directory on the usb drive..lets call it "Bionic64"
5. copy all the contents of the CD into the Bionic64 directory
6. run Grub4Dos and let it work with the USB drive, it will find the Bionic and create a menu and place the necessary parts onto the drive to allow it to boot
7. now reboot the computer without making any savefile / savefolder and boot from the USB drive.
8. set your clock and start up config and reboot and create a savefolder
9. reboot again and your all set to install the Devx and ZoneMinder

Of course there is more than one way of doing this including using the tools provided in Bionic but the method above is really quick and effective

ZoneMinder can run from the usb stick and store the events and video on SSD.

Don't worry about needing help! I think once you get started your questions will be focused and we will help you get this thing going

Good Luck and don't let yourself get overwhelmed,...it's easier than it sounds

qxotic

No Boot

#18 Post by qxotic »

I tried this, but it is not making my drive bootable for some reason. I copied the file to the drive after making the partition and setting the boot flag. After the Grub4Dos runs I can open and see the menu.lst file.. but when I reboot the system hangs on the splash screen the first time.. then power off and on, into bios and there are not any drives showing (I removed the live cd one) It does not see the newly created one as bootable. I did it twice with the same result.

rockedge

#19 Post by rockedge »

did you open the ISO by clicking on it? You must copy all the files that are inside the ISO into the directory on the USB drive.

Run the Grub4Dos again. What does the menu.lst look like?

is there a block that looks something like this:

title Puppy racy 5.5 (sda1/Racy55)
  uuid 461825f2-f750-44e7-93ff-e4f09ea38728
  kernel /Racy55/vmlinuz   psubdir=Racy55 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /Racy55/initrd.gz
this for Racy 5.5 on a virtualbox machine but yours will say bionic

it is a good sign that you are getting to the menu screen on the initial boot. I am thinking you made this far but we need to troubleshoot what is going on.

qxotic

Boot trouble

#20 Post by qxotic »

Yes, the menu file has that block of information in it.

From other research... It did not have the EFI folder, the grub.dfg, initrd.gz or the vmlunuz or any .sfs files in the root directory. It only had the grldr, menu.lst, menu-advance.lst and sdb_mbr.bak files..

The Bionic64 folder has a grub.cfg, initrd.gz, the vmlinuz file and two .sfs files.