Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 21:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
bugs in Slacko 700 Beta2 and Tahrpup
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
exonprac

PostPosted: Sat 13 May 2017, 15:48    Post subject:  bugs in Slacko 700 Beta2 and Tahrpup
Subject description: bug in missing sound and bugs in GNOM MPlayer

Bratislava, Slovakia
Hello,
I am very new user of Linux OSs.
I admire the work of developers.
I tested several Linux-es and also Puppy Linux-es.
I noticed some bugs and therefore I mention them here for developers and other users.
Slacko 700 Beta2 and just released Tahrpup.
I use in Google apps the function: translate
https://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT
Except translation of the word, there is also possibility to listen pronunciation. In the field of the word impute - lower left corner, there is a small icon of a speaker.
After left click on the icon the word is pronounced. After second click, the word is pronounced slower. This function does not work in the mentioned Puppies, there is only silence.
Right click shows the possibility to view page source.
The function (pronunciation) works normally in Wary Puppy and also in Lubuntu and Bodhi.Pronunciation is very important function for non native English-speaking people like me.
In Wikipedia, there are also often used some specific words that need to be pronounced usually accordingly to the language of origin. Therefore, there is also small icon of speaker after the particular word. After click on the icon the word is pronounced. This function normally works in all three Puppies.
The Slacko Puppy uses GNOM MPlayer for playing movies and other videos. It is very good player but some functions do not work there. E.g., subtitles can be increased but not decreased back. Function „decrease” works conversely, so also as „increase”. Among these several nonfunctional settings, one is relatively important - brightness control.
Generally, the video players do not recognize diacritics in subtitles or recognize it only partially and some characters are omitted. As a result, some words often cannot be identified at all.
This is an important drawback for deaf people (not native English). The only Media Player which recognizes diacritics in subtitles is VLC Player but only in case, that the installed version is not English but the version in that language, in which are also subtitles used. For example, if the movie has subtitles in Czech language, the Czech version of VLC Player recognizes them correctly. Therefore, if I use Czech version of Lubuntu and I installed VLC player (automatically Czech version), the Czech subtitles are automatically correctly recognized. But this is probably not possible to realize in Puppy Linux-es.
In summary, I would like to note, that small bugs mentioned above are really not so important.
I recognized that usage of Linux programs save time, because they are fast even on very old hardware and they fulfill all my demands at present. In fact, I left Windows XP.
Jarmil Prachar
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: