Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Jul 2017, 11:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
slacko-700 rc3
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 20 [288 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 18, 19, 20 Next
zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017, 10:51    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
64 bit....Pfind needs to have 64 bit paths in its system search space - /lib64 and /usr/lib64

Thank you for feedback - I will fix!
/usr/lib64/ shouldn't be necessary since /usr/ already is in the searchpaths

Edit:
FIXED in WoofCE

Last edited by zigbert on Mon 15 May 2017, 13:34; edited 1 time in total
Billtoo

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017, 11:08    Post subject: slacko-700 b3  

Manual frugal install to the hard drive:

# inxi -b
System: Host: puppypc3549 Kernel: 3.16.43 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.2 Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.9.6.7.p
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial:
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 Bios: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/2700 MHz
Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 137x47 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (9.3% used)
Info: Processes: 147 Uptime: 1:28 Memory: 239.9/3288.6MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0
#

Video-Info 1.5.1 - Mon 15 May 2017 on Slacko Puppy 6.9.6.7.p - Linux 3.16.43 i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]

X Server: Xorg Driver used: radeon
X.Org version: 1.18.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1015x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

I added applications with PPM + compiled Smplayer-17.5.0 and Smtube-17.5.0

It's working well so far,
Thanks
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   111.72 KB
 Viewed   922 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017, 12:28    Post subject:  

6.9.6.7-p 32bit is working good here so far for me too. The new flat icons are interesting. Except for not being able to open a rar I downloaded today in Rox/Xarchive (used the pet here to fix which I had laying around), I have no bugs to report... yet. Smile
belham2

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017, 12:47    Post subject:  

Hi all,

Is anyone having any problems opening svg files? I have a cache of svg files for certain programs that I keep and re-use across 64-bit tahrs, xenials, JL64, ddogs, and I thought slackos too. But I can't get Inkscape-lite in slacko64-6.9.6.7 to open a lot of them. Huh??

I can't remember, but does Slacko require a certain type or format of svg files as opposed to tahrs/xenials/etc? and that is why only some of my svg files open? If that is true, have I been blind in not noticing it before in previous Slacko 32 and 64 versions??

Here's a TAS of the Inkscape-lite error I am getting trying to open quite a few of these svg files...(have never seen this before so am a bit lost what to do to correct it):
svg-inkscape-lite-opening-errors.png
 Description   
 Filesize   111.97 KB
 Viewed   855 Time(s)

svg-inkscape-lite-opening-errors.png

zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017, 12:54    Post subject:  

Traybuttons in default jwm-tray points to Abiword and Gnumeric which is not present in Slacko64

Edit
FIXED in WoofCE

Last edited by zigbert on Mon 15 May 2017, 13:33; edited 1 time in total
zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017, 12:56    Post subject:  

Download devx from the sfs manager fails
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017, 15:20    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Here's a TAS of the Inkscape-lite error I am getting trying to open quite a few of these svg files...(have never seen this before so am a bit lost what to do to correct it):

I too find using mtpaint or gpicview more reliable for viewing svgs than Inkscape-lite. I noticed "Open With" has two entries for ffconvert but none for gnome-mplayer (which I use a lot so I made one for it heh), I typed this this in the terminal to re-add it:

Code:
ln -s /usr/share/applications/gnome-mplayer.desktop /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/gnome-mplayer
Robert123

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017, 15:34    Post subject:  

[/code]

@Robert123. I wonder if the fixed package mentioned in the second post fixes pale moon for you?
requires.

Cheers[/quote]

I can confirm the fixed package works - original segfault-ed.

dancytron

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017, 15:40    Post subject:  

Installed the 64 bit version. I got the same issue with it not connecting to internet on first boot that was reported above. Connected fine with simple network wizard and worked after that.

I played around with the adrive a little. I created a Chrome sfs, renamed the old adrive, and renamed that Chrome sfs as the new adrive. Worked like a charm. To polish it up, it seems all that needs to be done is remove the libre office icons from the little tray and paste the exec line from the google-chrome.desktop file into /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser.

So, about 5 minutes to make a polished Chromebook Puppy!!!

I think the new adrive setup is a major improvement.

Great job, thank you.
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017, 22:43    Post subject:  

Thanks for bug reports and fixes Smile

I'm away for a few days so probably won't get to fix them until the weekend.

Keep them rolling in.

Cheers

davids45

PostPosted: Tue 16 May 2017, 00:14    Post subject: 32-bit Frugal
Subject description: A few missing libs for personal apps

G'day,
I have made a manual Frugal install of the 32-bit slacko-6967 into my "recent-Puppies" partition.

I had the 'abnormal' non-immediate-connection as noted in earlier posts but connected without difficulty with the Network Wizard (eth0 on the home network - no wifi on this old desktop).
Loaded up my several sfs files of my commonly used packages (now about 1GB's worth) from the partition's root directory.
Installed a few small pets for my multifunction networked Epson-XP200. Printer and scanner working.

I set the default browser+email in /usr/local/bin to seamonkey, running this by symlink from my data partition to /usr/lib and /usr/bin. Posting from SM-2.46 now.
Other browsers in my browsers.sfs ran with their profiles also linked back to my data partition. All good.
Firefox-Light had a missing pair of libs (libgtk-3.so.0 and libgdk-3.so.0), fixed by copying these from a Library archive on my data partition.

A few other lib files were needed for some of my usual applications to run:

dukto: libaudio.so.2 & libpng12.so.0
avidemux & xjigsaw: also needed one of these two to run.
gimp-2.8.16: libjpeg.so.8 needed to work with .jpg files
pwidgets (based on Bob Moat's version): libgcrypt.so.11
Mapper: needed a symlink of /usr/lib/qt5/platforms/plugins to /usr/bin/

These applications were probably collected from .deb sources and sfs-ed by me for across-my-kennel use, so getting these a-fresh from a slackware repository may come with the missing libs included.

The screenshot has the icons for these working packages on my desktop.

Unlikely to be as simple for me with the 64-bit Slacko, I expect.
But will give it a go in the near future.

David S.
slacko6967-32bit-desktop.jpg
 Description   desktop with all icons 'working' - once a few missing libs copied from archive for a few apps.
 Filesize   107.7 KB
 Viewed   804 Time(s)

slacko6967-32bit-desktop.jpg

mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 16 May 2017, 01:10    Post subject:  

Congrats!

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but booting from the CD fails to see (and update) savefiles/folders that are not at the root of the partitions (ie in folders).
However, I'm sure that tis is a bug. Booting from a CD in a system with several partitions and setups, "finds", uses and "updates" a Slacko full install! More important, does not ask to update!!! Unfortunately it also breaks the full install.
Are there any recent init changes regarding full installs in woof-CE?
Bottomline, caution when booting from the CD if you have a slacko full install somewhere in a partition in your system.
Latter: You actually need to have an actual savefile or savefolder or just /slackosave*/etc/DISTO_SPECS in your full install partition, for the CD to "update" your full install.

Other than that... the new icon theme is really nice (with an iOS/OS X feel Cool )
There is a strange bug with the drive icons. In a multi-partition drive only the first partition shows a mounted when you mount it. The rest mount without icon change. This is booting from CD with pfix=ram. Don't know if it is also true in standard setups
More as opportunity rises ("fixes" unlikely though)

Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Tue 16 May 2017, 10:05    Post subject:  

david45 wrote:
Firefox-Light had a missing pair of libs (libgtk-3.so.0 and libgdk-3.so.0), fixed by copying these from a Library archive on my data partition.

It's interesting that you got by with the gtk3 version without problems so far (there were gtk2 and gtk3 builds for each release). I found light-46 gtk2 most reliable though it's still a bit wonky for me sometimes so I normally just use the slackware Firefox ESR.

davids45 wrote:
gimp-2.8.16: libjpeg.so.8 needed to work with .jpg files

The 2.8.18 version I used yesterday from the Slackware 14.2 repository works well. Smile PPM took about 20 minutes to install it.
gyro

PostPosted: Tue 16 May 2017, 11:39    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but booting from the CD fails to see (and update) savefiles/folders that are not at the root of the partitions (ie in folders).
That's what the current "init" is supposed to do.
mavrothal wrote:
However, I'm sure that tis is a bug. Booting from a CD in a system with several partitions and setups, "finds", uses and "updates" a Slacko full install! More important, does not ask to update!!! Unfortunately it also breaks the full install.
The current "init" was written to be completely ignorant of full-installs, (since no "initrd.gz" with full install).

gyro
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 16 May 2017, 23:47    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
That's what the current "init" is supposed to do.
This would ignore a fair amount for puppy installs which are usually in a folder next to other puppies or on top of another OS. Might worth second thought.
BTW the init used to have a mechanism that would also update the puppy files of frugal installs upon user permission. Now HD/USB installs can only be updated manually. If not the init, the puppy installer or rc.update could offer an sfs/initrd/vmlinuz update/replace option.
gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
The current "init" was written to be completely ignorant of full-installs, (since no "initrd.gz" with full install).
Indeed. init just sets the flag.
However, in the case that you have a savefile/folder at the root of full install partition the init mistakenly detects that as PUPMODE=6 even if /initrd is missing, thus rc.update messes it up thinking that is a save to partition.
You might want to add some code to verify save-to-partition as oppose to a full install since the savefile/folder detection is uncoupled from the pupmode detection that comes independently latter in the init process.

Page 2 of 20 [288 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 18, 19, 20 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: