slacko-700 rc3

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pelo

the clever way is to install firefox 17 ESR

#331 Post by Pelo »

the clever way is to install firefox 17 ESR, and update it if needed. ISO is kept not big, and people do as they like. Nilson Morales dit it that way on his Puppies for americanos.
Firefox 17 will do much more than Dillo or elinks, for people needing powerful 64 bits, for wars or movies to download. Firefox will not prevent gentle devs to surf on puppy forum,
Everybody will be happy with such a Puppy !
Palemoon is really a good choice too. Included as default in Tahrpup
add remove programs from the Menu ask the question in bugs topic
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 00:36, edited 3 times in total.

Baldronicus

Slacko-6.9.9.9-32bit-E160E 3G modem connection problem

#332 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi,

Thank you to 01Micko and all involved in making Slacko and all other puppies available.

I thought I should mention that I seem to be encountering trouble connecting to the internet when using a Huawei E160E 3G modem (it is one of the ones that seem to be in dual mode all of the time- putting a disc icon on the desktop). it seemed better to mention it now rather than after final.

A check of the forum entries has been made, but please accept my apologies if I am duplicating an existing advice, or if I have missed something.

Only the 32 bit slacko-6.9.9.9-k3.16-4G-FF-ABI and slacko-6.9.9.9-k3.16-4G-PM-ABI variants have been tried at this stage. Using the save back to CD option.
Difficulty had been experienced both before and after adding rerwin's dhcpcd_dropwait-6.11.3-i686_s700 pet to both variants. I just realised that I hadn't tried connecting directly using the "base" iso images, as I had saved some preparations to the browser settings etc. before making the attempts.
Please advise if you want me try with just the base cd images without any saves.

Pmodemdiag files will hopefully be sent to 01Micko via PM shortly (if I don't mess it up).

Using the Connection Wizard icon on the taskbar (?) I had gone into Pupdial setup (using the 3g related option- as per slacko 6.3.2). Ticked external modem, modem not found. "Choose modem", Automatic probe, and the modem was identified (as per approach with slacko 6.3.2).

The error that comes up after connection is attempted is:

ATDT*99#
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Mon Aug 21 20:46:22 2017
--> Pid of pppd: 15652
--> Disconnecting at Mon Aug 21 20:46:22 2017
--> The PPP daemon has died: No ppp module error (exit code = 4)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 4)

Please advise if I am a bit out of date and using an incorrect approach.

Thanks.

don570

#333 Post by don570 »

I haven't been able to get my wacom bamboo graphics tablet to work.
I tried commenting out the line (below) in xorg.conf,
but that results in mouse not working.

Code: Select all

Option "AutoAddDevices" "false" 

issac99289928

remove slacko live screen

#334 Post by issac99289928 »

Is it possible to remove slacko live screen to reduce boot time?

bigpup

#335 Post by bigpup »

The delay at the boot screen is on purpose.
If you need to add boot options, this delay gives you time to select options and use one.
This ability is useful if you have a problem booting now or in the future.
You may not want it now, but you will be happy it is there, if you ever have boot problems.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Billtoo

Re: slacko64-6.9.9.9-uefi-k4.4-FF-LO.iso

#336 Post by Billtoo »

Pelo wrote:norgo i was ready to update to the last version 64 bits, when i saw that none is without Libre Office... This is for people having typist work to do..
The 32 bits versions are provided with Abiword and Gnumeric..
64bits is for fun, games, videos and so on.. Not for typing end of month letters with two fingers :evil:
Abiword (Document section) and Gnumeric (Business section) come standard with Slacko 64,
Libre Office is an optional download.
Attachments
slacko64menu.jpg
(63.18 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times

Sailor Enceladus

#337 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Billtoo wrote:
Pelo wrote:norgo i was ready to update to the last version 64 bits, when i saw that none is without Libre Office... This is for people having typist work to do..
The 32 bits versions are provided with Abiword and Gnumeric..
64bits is for fun, games, videos and so on.. Not for typing end of month letters with two fingers :evil:
Abiword (Document section) and Gnumeric (Business section) come standard with Slacko 64,
Libre Office is an optional download.
Billtoo, is that in your custom build? I think the three 64-bit isos for Slacko64-6.9.9.9 come with LibreOffice, as they all say LO and are around 100MB larger than my own Woof-CE build of Slacko64-6.9.9.5: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... testing/64

I too don't need any office stuff and just use leafpad or Geany generally, and on the odd occasion Evince for pdfs, so it is nice that the office utilities are in an adrv that can be removed. Maybe the browser should be a in it's own specific bdrv as well (or is that making things too complicating?) :lol:

Billtoo

#338 Post by Billtoo »

Sailor Enceladus wrote: Billtoo, is that in your custom build? I think the three 64-bit isos for Slacko64-6.9.9.9 come with LibreOffice, as they all say LO and are around 100MB larger than my own Woof-CE build of Slacko64-6.9.9.5: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... testing/64

I too don't need any office stuff and just use leafpad or Geany generally, and on the odd occasion Evince for pdfs, so it is nice that the office utilities are in an adrv that can be removed though. Maybe the browser should be a in it's own specific bdrv as well (or is that making things too complicating?) :lol:
Hi,

That's a build from the rationalise branch done a week or so ago. 260mb if I remember correctly.

I wasn't aware the others have LibreOffice by default.

I guess wiak's makepup script would be an easy solution to not get LibreOffice by default.

Pelo

puppy_slacko64_6.9.6.4.

#339 Post by Pelo »

ah merci, Big apps can be loaded as SFS for people specialized in some hobby or works (teachers for Libre office)
Who really want Libre-Office included in the ISO ? Which part of it is really useful ? Writer; database, spreadsheets.. not very successful in 'business section', no feed back..
About my Slacko 6964, i keep it until a version 700 without libre office is released. I don't really need 64 bits.. it's to be kept informed of last improvements
Gnumeric has no shame to have compared with Calc. Gnumeric was even improved better than Excel from which it is the clone.
Calc will freeze soon. Just read Ubuntu forum, where users use and feed-back. here in Puppy, you just install things, apparently without running them.
Audacious 3.7.2 64 bits works feed back here
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 06 Sep 2017, 04:36, edited 6 times in total.

watchdog

Shutdown problem

#340 Post by watchdog »

I have slacko64 700b on an external usb hd ext4 formatted. Randomly the shutdown does not work freezing at an early stage showing something of the init script.

jd7654

#341 Post by jd7654 »

Tried 64-bit Slacko, both FF and PM versions.

I never did understand the draw for PM, never cared for it myself. Would rather see Slacko, being the mainline Pup, stick to standard Firefox. Don't go to the dark side of the Pale Moon. Leave that to Upup. In my testing, it is slow, glitchy (seems problems with javascript) and plain doesn't work with some websites. Firefox works with all.

Also, would rather have ABI/GNU option instead of only huge LO.

Just my $0.02.

Pelo

Long time ago, Puppy devs took time to select apps,

#342 Post by Pelo »

jd7654 agree with you. Gnumeric an Abiword are enough for home work, letters and calculation of bills to pay.
For puppy builders, they have they own approach.. Easy to understand.. let them explain..
it's easier to install a swiss knife than separate apps, IMO
Long time ago, Puppy devs took time to select apps, and trim the fat for running in small RAM for get users happy with Puppy.
is there a topic where to post about stable Slacko 6.3.2 ?
Attachments
Softpedia.jpg
Public release seems to be 6.3.2 (here sotpedia)
(42.2 KiB) Downloaded 626 times

belham2

#343 Post by belham2 »

Will say this, Pelo is right about one thing: this version of Slacko 700 is just unstable, and has multiple problems.

As I mentioned in the "woof-CE" build thread the other day, this latest version of Slacko just randomly freezes up across many different machines (and laptops) I own. Over the past few days, I have built it twice now from woof-CE with the latest kernel & normal choices, and each build still keeps this "random freezing" behavior up (only when doing multiple window and/or program, something that any other pup handles with aplomb).

Worse, on the new bugfixes menu item, when you install all the "xorg-server" items (previously I had installed them all and left the xorg-server ones out, given past bad experiences with slacko & xorg-stuff), installing the "xorg-server" bugfixes disables or doesn't allow to run the new redshiftgui Micko put in. That seriously stinks in my book :cry:

Anybody in woof-CE can get these problems fixed? Or is Micko (where life/job/family must be hammering him from all sides at the moment to never be posting here) the only one who can do it??

Over the past year, people complain about Puppy itself falling & breaking down, or losing its way----well----how are they supposed to think otherwise when this, Slacko 700, the "flagship" murga/puppy offering, is so darn buggy?? Most of us who post here are fairly proficient users/builders, and if we can't get it to run correctly, I can't imagine what happens to all the other normal users when they download Slacko 700. They've gotta be frustrated as heck :shock: , and trying, possibly helplessly, to return to the old, stable versions (as Pelo mentions) of Slacko.

I know this sounds heretical: possibly Slacko 700 can be stated/removed as the "flagship" Murga-linux offering, and the mantle on murga be passed to Peebee and his excellent LxPupSc offering---something which he keeps up-to-date & stays on top of like a bull on top of a cow-in-heat :wink:

Pelo

i did not download version 700 64bits

#344 Post by Pelo »

??? i was only speaking of Libreoffice and Browser choice. my 6.9;6.4 is yet outdated, before any final release. I cannot post about it, i cannot post about 6.3.2.
Version 6.9.6.4 is not bad. At least much better than Xenial pup, about freezing.. You can easily retrofit to 6.9.6..4 (without Libre Office of course)
Belham2 i did not download version 700 because too big due to useless Libre Office
as you can see 16.000 passengers fly Slacko 6.3.2. No topic to feed back.
Devs are going to win, only puppy building will be alive in the forum. Once released, Puppies are completely out of interest for them :!:

We ask for help desk, even for 6.3.2, 6.0, 5.7, and famous 5.3.3 !
Tharpup and Precise do it, why Slacko does not ?
DebianDogs perhaps are not Puppies, but we get answers from devs.
Users are not linked, even if they like Puppy.If you don'care of them, they soon will join Facebook or local fora (forums)
Devs deliver their new version, then go on holidays two or three years before posting a new version. No assistance. That is true too or locale puppies, unless exception as hungarian (csipesz) and french Tooppy by Argolance.

I have nothing against brainstorming, and give a help to puppy-builders when they are pregnant. But understand that users want to use, not only to test.

bigpup

#345 Post by bigpup »

We ask for help desk, even for 6.3.2, 6.0, 5.7, and famous 5.3.3 !
Pelo, you have been around for some time with Puppy.
You really do not know where the topics are for a specific version of Puppy?
The forum sections Puppy Projects or Bugs has a specific topic for each of these.
Example:
Slacko 6.3.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101663
True, sometimes the topic is only in one or the other sections of the forum. Sometimes there is a topic in both.

However, you should know that posting a new topic, about a specific question, in the Beginners or Users sections of the forum works well to get help.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Pelo

Release candidate kernel 3.16.43 Laptops & wireless

#346 Post by Pelo »

No answer about removing Alexandra from the menu.. app tested and removed.
I will post in bugs topic, for an answer.

Screenshot below, not a bug, but feed back about dongles; Previous versions were not providing wireless if a pet by rcrsn 51 not added.
You develop inside, in summers and winters. We use our laptops outside, mainly on holidays, if sun is shining and some wifi point around.
Trains, railways stations, post office and... bars will provide access.
Attachments
strength.jpg
Strentgh is low, dongle needed for people moving with a laptop
(40.58 KiB) Downloaded 1026 times
wireless.jpg
Wireless with dongle (driver 8192CU) will work and allow you to go driving with your laptop and Slacko 32 beside you, next winter.
(109.77 KiB) Downloaded 1025 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:38, edited 7 times in total.

jd7654

#347 Post by jd7654 »

belham2 wrote:...
Over the past year, people complain about Puppy itself falling & breaking down, or losing its way----well----how are they supposed to think otherwise when this, Slacko 700, the "flagship" murga/puppy offering, is so darn buggy?? Most of us who post here are fairly proficient users/builders, and if we can't get it to run correctly, I can't imagine what happens to all the other normal users when they download Slacko 700. They've gotta be frustrated as heck :shock: , and trying, possibly helplessly, to return to the old, stable versions (as Pelo mentions) of Slacko.

I know this sounds heretical: possibly Slacko 700 can be stated/removed as the "flagship" Murga-linux offering, and the mantle on murga be passed to Peebee and his excellent LxPupSc offering---something which he keeps up-to-date & stays on top of like a bull on top of a cow-in-heat :wink:
In my mind, Puppy kind of died when BK retired from it. Anything put out now I just accept that it is what it is. I don't blame Micko's if he has other priorities, or Phil for checking out. A project is never the same without the founder. Sad but true.

Like what was talked about before, a big problem now is fragmentation, or lack of focus on an official mainline Puppy that everyone can get behind. But I feel more comfortable with Slacko as the mainline, its got the pedigree.(I still have the good old 5.7 installed in many places) Never really took to Tahr, but realize that was the more popular one. And the popular one gets more users, which gets more user testing, which gets more bug fixes. Peebee's LxPup is great stuff too, but that is not mainline Puppy, but a darn fine derivative.

And like what Pelo said, right now you have many people making Pups out of Woof-CE, but it's just kind of spit out there and that's it. To make a good distro, you have to bug fix and user support for a main version. Not as fun as just cranking out stuff, more boring and mundane, but that's what it takes to be a good popular distro.

Woof was supposed to be a tool to build a Puppy for release, with Puppy itself the main product or goal. Right now with Woof-CE, it kind of exists as its own product, a Puppy construction set toy that can spit out all kinds of Pups. It lives to serve itself, not a main Puppy distro release that is solid and stable and supported.

sc0ttman

#348 Post by sc0ttman »

EDIT: rant/comments about Woof-CE and Git moved to http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 974#966974
Last edited by sc0ttman on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 21:36, edited 19 times in total.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

foxpup

puppy woofCE github

#349 Post by foxpup »

Hi sc0ttman

Amazing post! You are a man with a vision, sc0ttman.
Shouldn't this be in another thread though?

bigpup

#350 Post by bigpup »

I think 01micko has left the building!
YaPI(any iso installer)