Quirky Pyro64 version 0.6 (alpha) -- and Pyro32 0.5

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

#181 Post by BarryK »

ethernet still failing at first bootup.

At first bootup, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit calls /etc/rc.d/rc.network_eth, which tests if an ethernet interface is connected to the Internet and if so, runs 'dhcpcd'.

However, I found that recent linux kernels take an extraordinarily long time to create /sys/class/net/eth0. I had to put "sleep 6" into rc.network_eth, which is ok as the script is backgrounded.

However, I have just discovered that even 6 seconds may not be enough. Today I tested Easy Pyro64, and found that 7 seconds is required! -- that's on my fast midi-tower, with i5 CPU!

I have fixed /etc/rc.d/rc.network_eth, see attached.

I am wondering if there is some way of detecting, hey we have a ethernet interface, even before /sys/class/net/eth0 appears, then wait for however long it takes.

I also found that it takes a bit longer after /sys/class/net/eth0 appears, before "ifconfig -a" returns "eth0" -- don't know exactly how much delay.
Attachments
rc.network_eth.gz
False .gz
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sage

#182 Post by Sage »

Pyro32 0,6.1 is good. Boots with six bracketed [...] Error calls invoking cpu0, but ignores them and continues to terminal. Set Radeon & res. -> complete DT with correct DHCP & sound running. For my purposes, this is all I desire, i.e. no wish to loop-the-loop with xyz HDs, USBs, w.h.y. - just need this bog std, fast, compact distro it always was. For teaching pigs to fly and dogs to bark, I use other machines with other FULL installs and all the bells & whistles loaded.
Puppy = K.I.S.S. Thank you.

scsijon

pyro64 0.6

#183 Post by scsijon »

With pyro64, didn't we have a bluetooth tool to set it up, I was sure it was there and working with 0.5, but can't find it anywhere with 0.6 and my mouse won't work without it with both a touchpad and mouse?

don570

#184 Post by don570 »

I used script 4install-quirky-to-drive-mbr.gz to install pyro 0.6.1 32 bit
to a USB stick

I had to use EXT format since f2fs format isn't supported by precise 5.7.1,
however the script didn't warn me about that. :cry:

don570

#185 Post by don570 »

I had the same problems with pyro32 as I had with pyro64.

For instance I couldn't get a samba server to work -->
Apparently because I couldn't create a samba user.
# smbpasswd -a don570
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to add entry for user don570.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#186 Post by BarryK »

Right now, looking at fixing wcpufreq (if it needs it):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 262#976262

davids45

Printing with Pyro32-0.6

#187 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

BarryK wrote:
Can you test with a local printer?

Note, I don't think that missing "pdf-writer" matters. The print-to-file should still work.
Still "saving the rain-forest trees" with my XP200 printer not wanting to use any paper when installed as a 'Local' printer via its usb socket :( (screenshot from CUPS).

On the other hand, I could 'print' pdfs by 'Export' from LibreOffice or using the "Print-to-file" in Printer 'Options' (see pdfs in /file in second screenshot) :) .

The CUPS.desktop file (screenshots) won't run for me if clicked - something about 'failed to execute child process' for a non-existent 'htmlview'?

Still liking Pyro32 as a Full Pup nonetheless.

David S.
Attachments
printer-localusb-filterfails.jpg
Epson XP200 installed via USB still 'filter failed'
when trying to print test page
(141.51 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
pdf-export-printtofile-OK.jpg
Pdf printing OK via Export or 'Print-to-file' but no-go via Cups
(39.86 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
CUPS-in-desktop-directory.jpg
Cups desktop file - clicking not effective - but Wizard in Menu is fine
(65.98 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
CUPS.desktop-text.jpg
Cups desktop file text
(79.1 KiB) Downloaded 488 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: pyro64 0.6

#188 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:With pyro64, didn't we have a bluetooth tool to set it up, I was sure it was there and working with 0.5, but can't find it anywhere with 0.6 and my mouse won't work without it with both a touchpad and mouse?
Er, yes.

Two PET packages are missing, 'bluepup' (in noarch repo) and 'bluepup_tray' (was in xerus repo).

These will be in the next release.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#189 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:I had the same problems with pyro32 as I had with pyro64.

For instance I couldn't get a samba server to work -->
Apparently because I couldn't create a samba user.
# smbpasswd -a don570
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/ma ... swd.8.html

'smbd' needs to be running. By default, this is not running. /etc/init.d/rc.samba starts it at bootup, however the script has its "exec" flags cleared, so doesn't run. This is a security precaution.

Set the exec flags and reboot. Um, no need to reboot, just run "/etc/init.d/rc.samba start"

EDIT:
I have never used samba. Strange, but true.

Anyway, looking at the docs, smbpasswd can only assign a password to an existing user. Trying an experiment:

Code: Select all

# smbpasswd -a don570
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:

# adduser don570
adduser: /home/don570: No such file or directory
Changing password for don570
Enter the new password (minimum of 5, maximum of 8 characters)
Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
New password: 
Re-enter new password: 
passwd: password changed.
# 
# smbpasswd -a don570
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user don570.
...yep, it works.

Asking the question though, as someone who has never used samba, why do you have to create a user "don570"? Aren't we running as root?

don570

#190 Post by don570 »

To BarryK ...

Were you able to make a samba server work by connecting another linux computer using ethernet cable??
because I wasn't :cry:

By the way here is the instructions for the new fatdog 720 by kirk
# A private directory example, usable only by kirk. Note that kirk must be a valid Linux user and a
# valid Samba user. To make this work open the control panel and click on the System tab. Then
# click on Fatdog64 User Manager. Click on the Add button and add a new user named "kirk". This will
# add kirk as a new user and create a home directory for kirk at /home/kirk. This directory will be
# owned by kirk. If you choose some other folder for kirk to share, make sure kirk owns that folder.
# Then open a terminal and type smbpasswd -a kirk. You'll be prompted for a new password. After that
# un-comment the section below and restart Samba.

[kirkdir]
comment = Kirk's Service
path = /home/kirk
valid users = kirk
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no

scsijon

A pyro64 0.6 Bluetooth problem

#191 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:
scsijon wrote:With pyro64, didn't we have a bluetooth tool to set it up, I was sure it was there and working with 0.5, but can't find it anywhere with 0.6 and my mouse won't work without it with both a touchpad and mouse?
Er, yes.

Two PET packages are missing, 'bluepup' (in noarch repo) and 'bluepup_tray' (was in xerus repo).

These will be in the next release.
Thanks for that, found them and they loaded but it seems that "something is not quite there" as they say.

Data from PupSysinfo is:

VendorID=0bda ProductID=0821 Rev=02.00
Manufacturer=Realtek
Product=Blootooth Radio
SerialNumber=00e04c000001
Driver=btusb

and elsewhere
Kernel-Module=btusb

The drivers seem to be there, according to PupSysinfo

But using Bluepup gives "No default controller available", nor does it find any devices, and Bluepup command "discoverable on" says "no default controller available";
and "list" does nothing so I think it's not finding the realtek radio controller for some reason.

Could I have some help please from someone who knows about this "stuff" on where to go from here, as I know almost nothing about bluetooth being as most of my 'stuff' connects via ethernet.

thanks

jamesbond

#192 Post by jamesbond »

@scsijon: Try "hciconfig" and report what you see.
A properly working bluetooth report this:

hci0:	Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB
	BD Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  ACL MTU: 1021:5  SCO MTU: 96:6
	UP RUNNING PSCAN 
	RX bytes:1247 acl:0 sco:0 events:74 errors:0
	TX bytes:1109 acl:0 sco:0 commands:74 errors:0
[/quote]

If you don't see "UP", try "hciconfig hci0 up". Perhaps you should also have another terminal open, running "dmesg -w" so you can see the error that the kernel spits out when you try to bring the interface up.

The report the rest to Barry, heh heh heh  :twisted:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

scsijon

#193 Post by scsijon »

thank you jamesbond for your guidance
replies are>

for hciconfig>
hci0: Type: Primary Bus: usb
BD Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00 ACL MTU: 0:0 SCO MTU: 0:0
DOWN
RX Bytes:14 acl:0 sco:0 events:1 errors:0
TX bytes:3 acl:0 sco:0 events:1 errors:0

for hciconfig hci0 up>
Can't init device hc0: no such file or directory (2)

>and it's right there is no /dev/hci0, i wonder if I need to add it, but what should it's device settings be?

dmesg -w errors out as invalid option however dmesg results in>
[267.329010] Bluetooth: hci0: rtl: examining hci_ver=06 hci_rev=000a lmp_ver=06 lmp_subver=8821
[267.329026] Bluetooth: hci0: rtl: loading rtl_bt/rtl8221a_config.bin
[267.329101] Bluetooth hcl0: Direct Firmware Load for rtl_bt/rtl8221a_config.bin failed with error -2
[267.329113] Bluetooth: hci0: rtl: loading rtl_bt/rtl8221a_config.bin
[267.329158] Bluetooth hcl0: Direct Firmware Load for rtl_bt/rtl8221a_config.bin failed with error -2
[267.329167] Bluetooth: hcl0: Failed to load rtl_bt/rtl8821a_fw.bin

>So that explains a lot, it looks like it doesn't like that bin file

> and starting bluepup states (in the error log) Waiting to connect to bluetoothd... so maybe I have loaded the wrong pet, but I could only see one of them?
and nearly the same dmesg output (different line numbers) but three new ones first (from bluepup I take it)>

[1891.819142] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emmulation) ver 1.3
[1891.819147] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[1891.819158] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[2000.680108] Bluetooth: hci0: rtl: examining hci_ver=06 hci_rev=000a lmp_ver=06 lmp_subver=8821
[2000.680124] Bluetooth: hci0: rtl: loading rtl_bt/rtl8221a_config.bin
[2000.680201] Bluetooth hcl0: Direct Firmware Load for rtl_bt/rtl8221a_config.bin failed with error -2
[2000.680214] Bluetooth: hci0: rtl: loading rtl_bt/rtl8221a_config.bin
[2000.680259] Bluetooth hcl0: Direct Firmware Load for rtl_bt/rtl8221a_config.bin failed with error -2
[2000.680268] Bluetooth: hcl0: Failed to load rtl_bt/rtl8821a_fw.bin

> over to you, it's time for sleep as it's 0145 in the morning here and i'm due up in five hours :-)

regards to all
EDIT:it seems I needed to download and install the matching bluez as well? it now works
Last edited by scsijon on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#194 Post by Sage »

Pyro32 0.6.1 FULL
[Preamble : found a little old 30Gb 1.8" HD, fittted printed-wiring adapter, scrubbed all the NTFS cr*p and formatted ext3/swap]
Did a FULL install. OK, but couple of points - no GRUB4DOS files available, even in PPM/refreshed, had to boot it off an old LUPU CD. Works - sound, DHCP, iPlayer/Flash - all ootb - fantastic. Little tray item claims cpu temp=79C - pure BS! I've done all this cpu temp thing at least a couple of times on the Forum. I know the laptop folks think they need it, (1) best advice is bin the laptop (2) ignore any claims about the cpu temp because no-one is clear where/what that relates to,(these days it's probably interpolated from an internal diode). An external thermocouple on one of those cheap digital voltmeters is probably what you need to know, ie it isn't going to catch fire/the fan is working (because you cleaned out the ducting last week!)/ because it's changes in T^oC between loaded & idle that provide more info about cpu health(and mode in multiple core devices). If there is overheating internally, chances are there's nothing you can do about it, subject to the usual precautions. Maybe ask about the precision of interconnect line-width on the fabricator's website, MTBF, warranty, etc?
Long & short : good deal, thanks.

don570

#195 Post by don570 »

I tried to get the samba server to be recognized by a second computer and
it still fails to connect. Has anybody succeeded ?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#196 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:I tried to get the samba server to be recognized by a second computer and

I am going to install Open Media Vault, have downloaded the iso. This is a NAS operating system, based on Debian Stable.

Planning to install on my midi-tower PC, which has two ethernet sockets, 100MB/s and 1000MB/s. Then configure it as a Samba server.

ally

#197 Post by ally »

openmediavault is awesome

my raspberry pi runs 7 drives quite comfortably

an observation though, when samba (yassm) is running the cpu load is high even when not transferring data, this happens whichever puppy I'm using (tahrpup,xenial,fatdog etc.)

:)

scsijon

devx fails?

#198 Post by scsijon »

devx (devx-0.6-pyro64.pet) is failing to install, seems to copy/expand itself into /root first then fails with an error>
Error package devx-0.6-pyro64.pet failed to install.

xerrs.log shows>
stat: cannot stat '/root/devx-0.6-pyro64.pet': No such file or directory
expr:syntax error
expr:syntax error
/usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh: line175: [: -gt: unary operator expected
/usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh: line201: [: -gt: unary operator expected

I've tried d/l from 3 sites with the same result so i don't think it's me as other pets install ok

md5# is f06ba3a6ed3fa17c1945d78c57f755e1 if that helps

regards

EDIT: wierd, downloading from other puppies won't install,but downloading with PKGGet in pyro 0.6 works and injstalls.
Last edited by scsijon on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

#199 Post by technosaurus »

BarryK wrote:
don570 wrote:I tried to get the samba server to be recognized by a second computer and

I am going to install Open Media Vault, have downloaded the iso. This is a NAS operating system, based on Debian Stable.

Planning to install on my midi-tower PC, which has two ethernet sockets, 100MB/s and 1000MB/s. Then configure it as a Samba server.
If the kernel is configured with CIFS support, local "samba" shares can be mounted as follows:

mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWD,uid=$USER,gid=$USER //192.168.1.88/shares ~/mnt/share
(substituting correct local IP address and directories)
Now if you've gone all out and want to resolve host names instead of using IP addresses directly, you'll also need "/sbin/request-key" (from keyutils IIRC) to resolve the IP for the kernel to use

To share files from Linux to Windows you'd still need the samba package for the server daemon, but for simple access to local Windows shares from Linux (probably ~90% of use cases), nothing else should be needed. Fortunately most routers and NAS devices will list the devices that are attached to it and the corresponding IP address on their UI (usually at 192.168.0.1/ for routers)

Extra info for developers. The kernel has a builtin keyring mechanism that it uses to store cached DNS resolutions (amongst other things) but no internal mechanism to resolve a hostname to an IP address; thus the need for /sbin/request-key (I don't get the reasoning behind using userspace tools from the kernel, but that's how it is) When you mount a remote SMB or CIFS share using the kernel's builitin filesystem, it will check to see if it is in //*.*.*.*/* format (not sure about IPv6 formatted addresses) and use IP addresses directly or make a call to dns_query to lookup the hostname. If it is already stored in the keyring, it uses the stored IP address to connect; otherwise it calls another builtin kernel function that calls /sbin/request-key. This is not unusual, /sbin/hotplug is used by the kernel to handle hot-plugging (though now most people use the netlink alternative these days) FWIW I experimented with my own DNS caching utility here, but it would need to be patched into the libc to really be helpful and Rich Felker didn't want to add it to musl since it is non-standard.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

don570

probedisk -m doesn't work in some distros

#200 Post by don570 »

probedisk -m doesn't work in some distros

BarryK has a script to install pyro64 to a drive i.e. a USB stick
pyro-0.5/4install-quirky-to-drive-mbr

it uses probedisk command

echo "These are all of the drives found in your PC:"
 INFODRIVES="$(probedisk -m | sed -e 's%/dev/%%')"

The script doesn't work in some distros because of probedisk -m

Here are some examples when I checked
(precise 571 and xerus worked) :lol: ...

echo "These are all of the drives found in your PC:"
 INFODRIVES="$(probedisk -m | sed -e 's%/dev/%%')"

/dev/sdb|drive|ATA Hitachi HUA72101
/dev/sdc|usbdrv|KingstonDataTraveler 2.0
/dev/sr0|optical|SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E 

# probedisk 
/dev/sda|drive|ATA SAMSUNG HD103SJ 
/dev/sdb|drive|ATA Hitachi HUA72101
/dev/sdc|usbdrv|KingstonDataTraveler 2.0

precise 571
 probedisk -m
/dev/sdb|usbdrv|KingstonDataTraveler 2.0

# probedisk 
/dev/sdb|usbdrv|KingstonDataTraveler 2.0

xenialpup  64   7.5

root# probedisk -m
* probedisk -m: unknown option. type 'probedisk -help'

root# probedisk
/dev/sdb|usbdrv|Kingston DataTraveler 2.0

slacko64 700

# probedisk -m
-m: invalid device

# probedisk   
# 

Dpup stretch 700a2 

# probedisk -m
* probedisk -m: unknown option. type 'probedisk -help'

# probedisk

Also see report
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 803#976803
Last edited by don570 on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.