Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 05:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Anyone know how to install an IBM LTO 3 Ultrium tape drive?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 09:30    Post subject: I need to search for kernel support in the form of st driver
Subject description: And mknod command, etc..

I may have to simply walk the system through creating the st drive. Perhaps I have support and something is just not there that automatically detects something. Perhaps even a parameter in the Adaptec, like 16 eg. for bus, should that be 32. I doubt it but it's not impossible that some LUN feature or whatever isn't there but maybe I can mknod and get a device up that way. I don't know yet until I try to look for the tape drive support. If it's there, I can start trying stuff.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 09:45    Post subject: Output of modinfo command
Subject description: I just ran modinfo st

When I run the command modinfo st, it DOES list tape drive support:

filename: /lib/modules/4.4.35/kernel/drivers/scsi/st.ko
alias: ...
alias: ...
license: ...
description: SCSI tape (st) driver

So I have support for tape drives in my Fatdog 710 kernel.

So I should create a device /dev/st0
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 10:36    Post subject:  

I don't know if this is any help, but I believe that Linux only mounts filesystems, not devices. If there is no tape in the drive, there can be no filesystem to mount. Same as a DVD drive without a DVD in it.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 10:46    Post subject: Thanks for the info - I've tried mounting a tape
Subject description: Inserting a CD triggers the automatic mount

When I insert a CD, an icon for SR0 appears on the Fatdog desktop.

When I insert a tape, nothing appears. But perhaps I need to tell the boot-up process something - this is over my head but I need to begin to try things.

This causes me concern, as I would expect it to show the icon when I insert a tape. So I need to debug and/or work around this problem.

I just have to keep understanding it. Trying stuff might have to wait until I read more - like, what parameters will I give the mknod command, anyway? I am about to mknod --help or whatever now.
rockedge

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 11:33    Post subject:  

here is a manual I had in some corner of storage...maybe it might help
http://rockedge.org/images2/IBM_Tape_Device_Driver_IUG.pdf
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 11:50    Post subject: I just ran lsmod | grep 'st' and got nothing
Subject description: Thanks, I have that manual downloaded already

I'll look at it again, and see if I can use it's advice. In the meantime, I mention below that I might modprobe the drivers.

So now I REALLY KNOW that the st drivers are not loaded. And in /dev/fd there are two unknown devices. Perhaps one is the tape and the other the cartridge memory. I'm not sure but at least now I know that the tape driver kernel type support is not loaded.

So I might try to modprobe st and load it just to see iif I can get any further.
I must admit, I'm really, really stuck and I'm now going through every single Internet link that deals with what to do if your controller picks up the tape drive but the operating system does not. That's basically where I am. I think most of the parameters of the controller are ok. I hope that's true.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 11:53    Post subject: Now I have st 44563 0
Subject description: I ran the command modprobe st

I ran the modprobe command and I now have the st driver loaded. It is 44,563 bytes in size. And it has 0 "Used by"

I also just accidentally but (it's a GOOD thing) modprobed sg.

I have also loaded the generic driver sg. As long as I don't mix calls too much, I can have both loaded. I might just experiment with both drivers.

My tape drive's MAM memory can be accessed by either driver I'm sure.
I'm not interested in the tape, only the cartridge memory anyway.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 12:00    Post subject: I'm hoping that I can now rescan or something
Subject description: I would like Linux to now create a device file for me

I need to figure out how to make the Adaptec SCSI or the Linux kernel rescan for all scsi devices or something like that.

There are Linux commands both for discovering new devices as well as for refinding old ones. I just need to understand the parameters and run the one to discover new devices.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 12:19    Post subject: WOW! I ran the command 9 times in a row
Subject description: I ran the command as follows:

echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan. Then each time I added 1 to the number on the word hostx after host/.
So the 2nd time was echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host1/scan, and so forth.

Note: there has to be a space between each dash or the command fails with bad parameter or something.

Between host0 and host6, the command just returned very quickly. But I peeked into host7 and host8 and I could tell that they were empty and waiting, and when I ran each of those, the command took about 6 seconds or so to run. And voila!

I now have [8:0:0:0] tape IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 6B20 /dev/st0 showing when I run the command lsscsi.

I do NOT see an icon on the screen but perhaps I need to also run some script for that. I also notice that there is a scsi_tape specific directory. So now hopefully, I can try some other command and start doing something with the MAM on the cartridge. Progress!
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017, 19:11    Post subject:  

Good news! Keep us posted. Smile
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2017, 02:54    Post subject:  

Have you seen this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110634

PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2017, 10:36    Post subject: The mt-st backup and restore program
Subject description: Testing it out

Hi,

I would like to use such a program at some point - to test out more "tape-centric" apis and how will the drivers fare in such an environment. I might actually need a little bit of tape in the software I'm writing even though it's mostly just the cartridge memory I'm reading and writing. My program runs very well and just needs some more business logic. Perhaps I would need some tape apis, not sure yet.

But there is ONE MAJOR ISSUE I have to resolve that I noticed (and feared).

That echo ... scan command that I give earlier in this thread which I use to make sure the tape drive is loaded and ready to go as a SCSI device.

I forgot to learn how to do a rescan. The fact that I've done a scan each time I restart Fatdog has proliferated a huge tree-like set of device files under the sys/class/scsi_tape/st0 (and perhaps with st0a, ...). So I need advice on how to not keep creating these files. I will look at the Internet site where I learned this command or some other site and see what they say but I better solve this problem or I will mess my file-structure for sure.
Laughing

I hope there is a "rescan" option or scan -re or whatever. And I hope that the command can simply be run the same number of times I've already run it - which I can count from terminal window.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2017, 10:59    Post subject: Or is there something I don't quite understand ...
Subject description: About the directory structure

These are just symbolic links - perhaps I just need to delete a bunch of symbolic links. I now realize that they each have an arrow on them. Still, I hate having so many symoblic links in such a profuse tree structure on my hard-drive.
mistfire

PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2017, 11:23    Post subject:  

As I know, tapes are sequential data access unlike on disk which was random access it really needs a software to extract the contents of the tape.

By the way, did you try the latest version of pTape?
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2017, 13:58    Post subject: I'm no longer worried about the recursive links
Subject description: I just wanted someone to explain why they are that way

I think everyone who runs Linux has the same recursion in their sys directories as I have.

It's normal.

No, I 've not tried ptape. It's possible that I will not need to look at the tape, only the cartridge. As long as I find what I need on the cartridge chip, I won't need to spin the tapes. Some exceptional tapes, I might need to do that.

Perhaps for all, later

But i"ll check out these programs one by one.
Page 3 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: