Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 00:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Anyone know how to install an IBM LTO 3 Ultrium tape drive?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2017, 22:50    Post subject:  

Just thinking out loud here. Reading data from a tape has to be very similar to reading data from a CD or DVD. Both are sequential access. A CD or DVD read head can skip many tracks ahead or back on a the disk, but once it's synced up, it reads the data off just the same way a tape drive does.. A tape drive has to run the tape all the way through the read head until it gets to the good part.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2017, 20:56    Post subject: My "good part" is probably only the first block or so.
Subject description: So I"m keeping my fingers crossed

Now that I've written the code for the cartridge memory, I can try out those programs mentioned earlier in the thread. I only need to read the first block of the tape with my program.

It's likely that I will delegate reading the rest of the tape to someone else as they are the ones who will make sure the tape is good. It's not really my job.
But if they redelegate it back to me, then I will check the tapes with my program.

I waited until tomorrow because I wanted to make sure I didn't wind up with a used drive that eats tapes, and possibly lose the ability to test my C++ program (this could also be done in Perl or Python or other ways). I only paid 45.00 for the drive which probably cost close to a 1000.00 new. It beats my old Colorados although it's probably not as good as the old PDP 11/70 drives I used early in my career in research and development.

All drives need to be maintained or retired - whether hard-drive, floppy, cd/dvd, or tape.

But hopefully I will use this drive as a backup device, and I might buy some more of them. That's why I've been downloading all the documents from their sites and from HP's sites. I want to learn the physical make-up of the drive in case I need to fix it.
Page 4 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: