How do you make a directory executable?

Booting, installing, newbie
slavvo67

How do you make a directory executable?

#1 Post by slavvo67 »

In /usr/local/apps (at least in Quirky but probably Puppy too), you have multiple icons representing directories... for example, the good old trash can.

Well, somehow, I screwed up my WoofQ so all the directories that were represented by icons are now just regular folders again and not clickable (executable) directories.

I'm guessing this is a Rox permission? Couldn't drag and drop from another distro, either. They magically turn into directories instead of maintaining icons and clickable execution.

Thanks for your help. Stressful time when Woof isn't working right...

Slavvo67

perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

In my /usr/local/apps/abiword directory there are 3 files.

.Diricon
AppInfo.xml
AppRun

The XFE file manager shows /usr/local/apps/abiword it as a directory.

Rox shows /usr/local/apps/abiword as an icon that starts abiword when clicked.

All the directories that Rox shows as icons have the 3 files.
Perhaps something got deleted?

Attachments
capture12229.png
(30.07 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

mostly_lurking

#3 Post by mostly_lurking »

I think you are talking about ROX applications, a special feature of ROX Filer. As far as I can tell, for a directory to become a ROX app, it needs to include at least a script called "AppRun", which contains the command(s) to be executed, and a file called "AppInfo.xml". (The icon image that perdido mentioned above seems to be optional.) The folder's permissions are drwxr-xr-x.

You can view the contents of a ROX app in ROX Filer by right-clicking it and clicking "Look Inside".

slavvo67

#4 Post by slavvo67 »

Thanks guys but I don't think we have a complete answer, yet. I have those files mentioned but directories and not the clickable icon or right click to look into the directory. I've seen this before in Shinobar's portable web browsers, as well. Just don't know the magic script to get it done...

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

Have you checked if the directory's permissions are set correctly, and the AppRun script inside is executable?
Attachments
roxapp.png
(24.26 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

perdido

#6 Post by perdido »

The ROX Filer manual has some useful info in chapter 17 about application directories.
http://rox.sourceforge.net/Manual/Manua ... ml#appdirs

slavvo67

#7 Post by slavvo67 »

Okay, for now I found a workaround to my bigger problem of fixing my Woof-Q but I'll continue to work in fixing this issue and report back.

Actually, it's looking like my chmod isn't working correctly, either. Jeez, when it rains it pours. Anyway, for now I have a workaround and I think my WoofQ is intact, again. Running a test on it right now.

Thanks for your help and I'll report back on this issue when I find an appropriate resolve.

Slavvo67

PS - For those interested, I will be writing a small thread on how I salvaged my WoofQ after almost losing everything..

slavvo67

#8 Post by slavvo67 »

Thinking out loud, could it be that I copied from an EXT2 to a FAT32? Just recreated the issue with a copy command but EXT2 to EXT2 seemed to work okay.

Sailor Enceladus

#9 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

slavvo67 wrote:Thinking out loud, could it be that I copied from an EXT2 to a FAT32? Just recreated the issue with a copy command but EXT2 to EXT2 seemed to work okay.
FAT32 doesn't seem to understand symlinks so anything that is a symlink doesn't get copied. NTFS changes permissions too.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 554#955554

slavvo67

#10 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Sailor:

Interesting edit. Maybe I will put that in ./3builddistro, as well just to double-check myself.

By the way, my original copy command didn't work either. After putting the modifications below, it copied from EXT2 to EXT2; which is all I wanted to do.

cp -pdRx "$source555"/. "$destin555"