Puppy on an old Acer netbook: Brilliant!

Promote Puppy !
John Alien

Puppy on an old Acer netbook: Brilliant!

#1 Post by John Alien »

I've come on hard times and someone gave me an old acer netbook running windows 7 so poorly I couldn't open a web browser. I thought "Hey that small distribution I keep hearing about and tried live once might be able to turn this into a usable machine!" and downloaded, hosted and booted the xfce iso using an app on my phone (technology these days!). Using a bit of basic unix/linux knowledge made a fresh install clean over windows 7 and ended up with a clean, lightweight and surprisingly complete linux running flawlessly on my new (old) netbook.

I'm liking a lightweight system, I have to say. And it makes me more eager and it more necessary to learn to use a command line a lot more effectively.

Edit: Oh jeez, xfce is the window manager I used subsequently with a live linux mint to see how it would run on this netbook.
Last edited by John Alien on Sat 27 May 2017, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

Re: Brilliant!

#2 Post by rufwoof »

John Alien wrote:I'm liking a lightweight system, I have to say. And it makes me more eager and it more necessary to learn to use a command line a lot more effectively.
No regrets since having
rm -rf /windows
when XP support stopped. (In truth it remained gathering dust before being zapped after I hadn't booted it for ages).

John Alien

Re: Brilliant!

#3 Post by John Alien »

rufwoof wrote:
John Alien wrote:I'm liking a lightweight system, I have to say. And it makes me more eager and it more necessary to learn to use a command line a lot more effectively.
No regrets since having
rm -rf /windows
when XP support stopped. (In truth it remained gathering dust before being zapped after I hadn't booted it for ages).
Very nice.

John Alien

#4 Post by John Alien »

I tried to compile python and I'm pretty sure this netbook was going to overheat.. so I had to turn it off. I would rather not risk this machine for the sake of attempting to have python. I want to use python to compile ninja-ide because I'm having trouble installing it with ppm and Pets...

peebee

#5 Post by peebee »

John Alien wrote:I tried to compile python and I'm pretty sure this netbook was going to overheat.. so I had to turn it off. I would rather not risk this machine for the sake of attempting to have python. I want to use python to compile ninja-ide because I'm having trouble installing it with ppm and Pets...
python comes in the devx.sfs..... you just need to track down the appropriate one and install it.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peterw

Old Acer Netbooks are fine

#6 Post by peterw »

Hi John Alien
Glad you have had success with Puppy. I still have an Acer Aspire One with an Atom N270 processor and 1 GB of RAM. It still runs exremely well with Puppy and it can also run other Linux distros. At the moment it has some Slacko32's and Mint 18. Mine never had Windows on it since it was originally sold with Linux Linspire. I have, a while ago now, purchased a higher capacity battery for it and I think that I have dusted out the CPU fan and filter. Enjoy your new laptop it is capable of good service for many years.
peterw

6502coder

#7 Post by 6502coder »

John Alien wrote:I tried to compile python and I'm pretty sure this netbook was going to overheat.. so I had to turn it off. I would rather not risk this machine for the sake of attempting to have python. I want to use python to compile ninja-ide because I'm having trouble installing it with ppm and Pets...
This is the easiest way to get Python:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 139#955139

John Alien

#8 Post by John Alien »

peebee wrote:
python comes in the devx.sfs..... you just need to track down the appropriate one and install it.....
So the devx.sfs I had loaded to provide a C compiler also provides me with python. Hah! I'll go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

John Alien

Re: Old Acer Netbooks are fine

#9 Post by John Alien »

peterw wrote:Hi John Alien
Glad you have had success with Puppy. I still have an Acer Aspire One with an Atom N270 processor and 1 GB of RAM. It still runs exremely well with Puppy and it can also run other Linux distros. At the moment it has some Slacko32's and Mint 18. Mine never had Windows on it since it was originally sold with Linux Linspire. I have, a while ago now, purchased a higher capacity battery for it and I think that I have dusted out the CPU fan and filter. Enjoy your new laptop it is capable of good service for many years.
peterw
Thank you Peter! Sounds like we have similar if not identical hardware. A capable service laptop is exactly what I see in it. Thanks!

John Alien

#10 Post by John Alien »

6502coder wrote:
This is the easiest way to get Python:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 139#955139
I'm trying to get Python3.5.3 with this method but the installation script isn't working. Cannot execute the python3.5 binary! It seems like the python installation script fiddles with the execut-ability of some of the directories with system calls. Tried to change the directories in the ActiveState package with chmod but it did not solve the problem.

Edit: Well, I brought my netbook to a cool basement, made sure nothing else was running and compiled python3.5 from source. It made it.