DjVu Document Format for Puppy

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
rcrsn51

DjVu Document Format for Puppy

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

Project withdrawn due to lack of interest.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 04:19, edited 13 times in total.

Sailor Enceladus

Re: DjVu Document Format for Puppy

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

rcrsn51 wrote:b. DjView needs genuine libtiff4, not a symlink to a newer version. The DjVuLibre PET will detect this. If required, get libtiff4 from the PET attached below. Some new Puppies, like Slacko 69xx also need libjpeg8.
Evince, which is part of Slacko 69xx, can also open DjVu files.

peebee

#3 Post by peebee »

How do you create these files?? LibreOffice which can create most formats does not seem to support.

I've tried to find an example file on the webpages referenced but there doesn't seem to be one.....

What are the advantages over pdf which is so ubiquitous it is is unlikely to be displaced? The need for 6.64MB of QT-4 makes it a bit Un-Puppy-Like?

I want to try a file with Evince - how do I get one?

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

@rcrsn51
Indeed slacko since 6.3.0 has evince compiled against djvulibre so evince does open .djvu files just fine as Sailor said. I should add a rox mime-type for it.

Thanks for the djvu_writer printer which works with slacko > 6.3. Just had to move it to /usr/lib64/cups/backend/ in the 64 version. Perhaps you can add a pet for slacko 64? (or even mv it in the pinstall.sh if /usr/lib64 exists).

@peebee see here for a djvu sample file. (look for 'Original file' link).
Attachments
djvu.jpg
(41.88 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

peebee wrote:How do you create these files??
Read parts 3 and 4 above.
What are the advantages over pdf which is so ubiquitous it is is unlikely to be displaced?
Go to the DjVuLibre page linked above.
The need for 6.64MB of QT-4 makes it a bit Un-Puppy-Like?
Many people already have Qt installed for other apps. Tahrpup has Qt built-in. Does it count as a Puppy?
I want to try a file with Evince.
Not all Puppies have a version of evince that can read DjVu. This project is designed to be backwards-compatible.

Thanks for supporting this project. Especially considering the request here.

------------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 01 Jun 2017, 02:24, edited 2 times in total.

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

Working from precise for me. No go in wary. djview4 opens djvu files created with djvu-writer in inverted landscape and you have to rotate 180 degrees them.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

watchdog wrote:Working from precise for me.
Excellent. I did my initial testing in Precise.
No go in wary. djview4 opens djvu files created with djvu-writer in inverted landscape and you have to rotate 180 degrees them.
Interesting. I will look at this.

[Edit] I checked in Wary 55 and it definitely does NOT work - problems with the version of GLIBC.

But I don't understand your comment about inverted landscape. In what Puppy does that occur? From what application did you print?

watchdog

#8 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote: [Edit] I checked in Wary 55 and it definitely does NOT work - problems with the version of GLIBC.
It's not a glibc problem. I tried with glibc upgrade from lucid and tahr but I still have symbols errors. Not compatible binaries.
But I don't understand your comment about inverted landscape. In what Puppy does that occur? From what application did you print?
In precise. If a print with the djvu-writer printer a page of an abiword document in landascape manner then when I open it with djview4 it is inverted 180 degrees by default and you have to rotate it.

watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

Not working in lucid: not compatible libraries. Working in slacko 5.7.

zagreb999

xenialdog32bit-djvu writer

#10 Post by zagreb999 »

xenialdog32bit-djvu writer does not work

there is another virtual djvu printer:

https://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/18551.html

watchdog

#11 Post by watchdog »

Success opening djvu files with djvulibre and djview4 from centos 5 using puppy 4.31 with glibc upgrade from lucid. In puppy 4.31 djvu-writer does not work but it works in wary (with glibc upgrade to 2.11) and lucid. I suggest to use libraries from centos 5 for later tests.

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

@watchdog: Thanks for testing. DjVu-Writer was built from Debian Squeeze packages so there will always be problems moving it to other platforms. Because djview is a Qt app, it will have more trouble.

If you went into the Debian archives, you might find a version that is more backwards-compatible. But Precise is as far back in Puppy as I care to go.

[Edit] In the archives, I found old versions of djview4 and libqt that worked in Lupu without a glibc upgrade. But Wary still failed.

It appears that the latest Slackos and LxPups from peebee have djvulibre OOTB, so they will work with my DjVu applets, but using evince as the viewer.

@zagreb999: You originally asked for a DjVu virtual printer in LxPup. It would be appropriate to provide a test report on that platform before jumping somewhere else. I cannot comment on printing in XenialDog.

My DjVu-Writer uses the same techniques as the novell script, but built for CUPS.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 13:02, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

@watchdog: The business of printing in landscape is a problem. It depends on the source application (geany, abiword, etc), the version of CUPS and/or the version of ghostscript.

I will look at this some more, but I doubt if there is a one-size-fits-all solution.

watchdog

#14 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote:@watchdog: The business of printing in landscape is a problem. It depends on the source application (geany, abiword, etc), the version of CUPS and/or the version of ghostscript.

I will look at this some more, but I doubt if there is a one-size-fits-all solution.
I have tested working a modded package djvulibre_small-3.5.25-1.pet with only the change of djview4 from centos 5 instead of the original one from debian jessie. It can print and read in portrait mode. This package continues to work as the original one and plus it works for wary (with glibc 2.11 upgrade) and lucid. I was surprised when I tested it and saw it working for lucid even using djvu-writer.

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

A new version of this project is posted above. The DjVu-Writer virtual printer has been removed in favour of a more robust procedure. See the Update notes.