Replacement browser for Wary 5.5

Booting, installing, newbie
schober

Replacement browser for Wary 5.5

#1 Post by schober »

I have two P4 2Ghz computers one with 1gb ram and the other 500mb. I use Wary 5 on a cd on both machines and the savefile is stored on the hard drive. Wary comes with an ancient Sea monkey browser that doesnt work with Yahoo mail.
Can anyone suggest a modern browser? (prferably easy to install)
All hte browser PETS i've looked at have ancient browsers

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

I suggest palemoon glibc tweaked:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 134#953134

It installs easily in wary. Only dbus and dbus-glib needed in wary: intall them by PPM after udating lists of packages.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, schober.

Watchdog's 'tweaked' PaleMoon is an excellent browser. I use it myself.....in Racy 5.5, which is referred to as 'Wary on steroids'.

I offer this as a suggestion:-

If your hardware is capable of running Wary, you shouldn't have any problems with running Racy. I only suggest this, because battleshooter (in this thread) presented a glibc upgrade for Racy/Carolina that would allow the use of Chrome, and the Chromium-based browsers. I use this myself, and it works very well indeed.

It is only a suggestion.....although I'm quad-booting 4 Puppies on a 15-yr old, P4-based laptop with 1.5 GB RAM, and a 64GB PATA/IDE KingSpec SSD; Precise 5.7.1, Racy 5.5, rg66's X-Slacko 2.3.2 (based on the classic Slacko 570), and Tahrpup 6.0.5 (which was the first Puppy I discovered, 3 years ago, that would work with this elderly Dell laptop, OOTB.)

Your 1 GB machine should be perfectly capable of running any of these Pups. Mine used to have 1 GB until recently; in fact, when we originally bought it direct from Dell, it started life with only 128 MB.....

Food for thought? I only mention this because many people aren't aware of just how capable their P4-based machines still are, where Pup's concerned..... Image

Entirely up to you, of course.

Mike. :wink:

schober

#4 Post by schober »

Thanks for replies
I'll try watchdog's idea
I presume I download palemoon-27.3.0-p4-glibc219tweak.pet and click on it
I then need to install dbus and dbus-glib. The latest vesion of dbus is 1.10.8. PPM has 1.2.4 and there is a pet for 1.6.8. The latest for dbus-glib is 0.108. there is a pet for 0.100 & PPM has 0.82-w5

Which version of dbus and dbus-glib should be installed?
I couldnt find anyway of updating the PPM lists

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »