Software to backup data in Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
MrAccident

Software to backup data in Puppy?

#1 Post by MrAccident »

Is there a program with which I can backup folders with files, so that if I already backed the folder in another drive once, and it contains files: A, B, C - now I: added file D, updated file C and deleted file B - the program than: won't touch file A, delete file B, overwrite file C, add file D - to the previous copy of the folder; also the program won't present me any questions in the middle of the operation, which halts the operation?

P.S. understanding the question means you have an IQ of at least 140.

Galbi

#2 Post by Galbi »

the what? :)

I think what you need it's synchronicity software.

Beware of the difference between backup and synchro software, you don't want to delete (by accident) files in the origin folder.

Sure rsync it's in your Puppy, but it's command line tool. You can google for rsync gui.

I haven't test neither because in Windows I use the excelent Create Synchronicity software, unfortunatelly, just for Windows.

Sorry to insist, but be careful. If in doubt, make backup, not folder synchro.

Saludos.

Edit: https://www.unixmen.com/grsync-gadmin-r ... sync-tool/
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

There's Menu -> Utility -> Pbackup backup and sync. I haven't tried it. Also Menu -> Utility -> GAdmin-Rsync remote backup and a few other backup utilities.

Any program you use will have a learning curve, so be prepared to do some testing before the big rollout, so you're somewhat confident you know how it will act and what it can do. And, like Galbi says, backup everything in sight first. You can always recycle the backup medium after you're sure you've got everything working the way you want.

slavvo67

#4 Post by slavvo67 »

I've been playing with Unison. It does just that. Problem I had is it wasn't just a one-way sync so while there are uses for such, it wasn't what I particularly wanted.

It worked well in RU Xerus..

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

JUST PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING.

AND....

I recommend using a few test directories first.

Oh, and it's slow the first time as would probably be expected...

Best,

Slavvo67