Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 23:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DD (openbox)/XenialDog General Discussion Thread
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 12 [173 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
Author Message
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2644
Location: holland

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017, 15:53    Post subject: Re: DebDog Jessie 2016-10-16  

Ether wrote:
.
fredx181 wrote:

Try this one (thanks to ally Smile ):
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Debian_Dog_Jessie/DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-jwm-2016-10-16.iso

That worked, no problems.

Is there a bug_fix / update squashfs I should also download?
Thank you.

.


Not a squashfs, but you may want to look here for some bug fixes:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/blob/gh-pages/Bugs-and-Fixes-after-2016-10-16.md

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 956

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017, 16:14    Post subject:  

Since this is the Debian Dog maintenance thread, I thought I'd do a little Debian Dog maintenance.

I've upgraded (apt-get update and apt-get upgrade) and remastered the Stretch Dog version that I referenced in the second post. I included new intrd1.xz file that fixed the bug. Other than that and adding a few desktop links, I made no changes to it.

See my prior post for information on the source of this version. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=958261#958261

While this is a test version Ive used it quite a bit and haven't noticed any real problems. It seems perfectly usable to me.

The only testing of the remaster itself was to install it from DD64 Jessie to a USB stick and see that it booted successfully and synaptic showed that it was fully upgraded.

The only feature it seems to be missing is the kernel upgrade script. I tried to install the one from Jessie Debian Dog 64. It seemed to install okay, but didn't find a new kernel. I think that is because it already has the newest kernel, but I am not 100% sure. I didn't include that in the remaster.

edit: links deleted. See link to new version below



edit: fixed link

edit: new version, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=958812#958812

Last edited by dancytron on Mon 26 Jun 2017, 13:51; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3882
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017, 16:22    Post subject:  

All my threads open with this message:
Quote:
According to this post the thread stays open as a community project:
mcewanw wrote:
As I say, all dogs are community projects; no-one can ask for that work to be locked or deleted without agreement from the other contributors.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90586
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100441
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99460
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90660

Anything more you like me to add in the first post I can do it in the next few days.

Sorry Anikin. I'm not interested working on Stretch at this time. Do what you like with the threads as a community. You are one of the first contributors to the project. Now is the time you and other contributors to get more involved.

All the best!

Toni

_________________
Farewell, Nooby, you will be missed...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2644
Location: holland

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017, 17:18    Post subject:  

Hi Dan,

Quote:
[url]MD5 file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sted9xfrgydofm/StretchDog64-TEST-6-21-17.iso.md5?dl=0

ISO file (276 MB): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sted9xfrgydofm/StretchDog64-TEST-6-21-17.iso.md5?dl=0[/url]


Both your url links are md5, no iso.

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 956

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017, 17:24    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi Dan,

Quote:
[url]MD5 file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sted9xfrgydofm/StretchDog64-TEST-6-21-17.iso.md5?dl=0

ISO file (276 MB): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sted9xfrgydofm/StretchDog64-TEST-6-21-17.iso.md5?dl=0[/url]


Both your url links are md5, no iso.

Fred


Whoops. Will fix it now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
anikin

Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 969

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun 2017, 19:09    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
All my threads open with this message:
Quote:
According to this post the thread stays open as a community project:
mcewanw wrote:
As I say, all dogs are community projects; no-one can ask for that work to be locked or deleted without agreement from the other contributors.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90586
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100441
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99460
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90660

Anything more you like me to add in the first post I can do it in the next few days.

Sorry Anikin. I'm not interested working on Stretch at this time. Do what you like with the threads as a community. You are one of the first contributors to the project. Now is the time you and other contributors to get more involved.

All the best!

Toni
Toni,

Don't rush to conclusions. Take your time and come back when you are ready. As I've said before, this project can run without you, but it will be a faulty project. I will not participate in it without you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 1362
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017, 02:41    Post subject:  

Hi Toni !

It`s a pleasure to see you back in Town ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

NOT kidding........

So Let`s praise the Lord ......Halleluja....!



Regards !

Last edited by backi on Thu 22 Jun 2017, 03:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 1362
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017, 02:44    Post subject:  

Hi dancytron !

Looking for a challenge.
Is there a chance for 32 bit version to test ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2644
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017, 07:23    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,





Although you and I have different opinions, I think there's no need anymore for all the frictions.
So to accomplish that we both can do things "our own way in a peaceful manner" I have the following proposition about the DebianDog Organization:

- You become a member again of the DD org.
- You get full permissions for the particular DD repos, e.g. Wheezy, Jessie
This way you can create things exactly as you like, Wiiliam intends to help fixing the licence issue, perhaps e.g. via PM consultating you and me.
- I get no write permissions for that DD repos.
- I move XenialDog to elsewhere (and move away some more perhaps), since XenialDog is not pure 'non-free' anyway (Ubuntu doesn't have the strict policy that Debian has, as you know, and Xenialdog has also non-free firmware included)
- I will not create any repository in the DD Organization that doesn't fit with your standards. (probably keep only the doglinux website as my small contribution there)

Note that the above is just a proposition, I'm open for anything.
And of course all in consultation with William, he's the manager Smile

Please think about it, and even if you don't have plans to work on fixing or releasing in the near future it might be good to arrange things different as soon as possible in the DD Organization.

P.S. You wrote some time ago about that all your commits in the Jessie repository were gone, well, that was not intentionally that I wanted to do such thing, it was just that I messed things up badly and it seemed as the only way out to start all over again.

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2644
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017, 08:38    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
All my threads open with this message:
Quote:
According to this post the thread stays open as a community project:
mcewanw wrote:
As I say, all dogs are community projects; no-one can ask for that work to be locked or deleted without agreement from the other contributors.



Following up on what Toni recently did, I re-opened all the 'Dog' threads that I started (and were being locked last week) also.

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 956

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017, 12:56    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Hi dancytron !

Looking for a challenge.
Is there a chance for 32 bit version to test ?


If there is an existing 32 bit stretch version, then I can upgrade it. I don't think Fred made one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 1362
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017, 13:48    Post subject:  

Hi dancytron !
Not so urgent.......just suffered a bit of boredom !Have an "old " version from Debian Stretch installed to Usb-Stick ,so no need to cause you unnecessary work ...... would be redundant .
Deb Dog Jessie also still works like charme .
So thanks for your good will .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
saintless


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3882
Location: Bulgaria

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017, 16:50    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi Toni,





Although you and I have different opinions, I think there's no need anymore for all the frictions.
So to accomplish that we both can do things "our own way in a peaceful manner" I have the following proposition about the DebianDog Organization:

- You become a member again of the DD org.
- You get full permissions for the particular DD repos, e.g. Wheezy, Jessie
This way you can create things exactly as you like, Wiiliam intends to help fixing the licence issue, perhaps e.g. via PM consultating you and me.
- I get no write permissions for that DD repos.
- I move XenialDog to elsewhere (and move away some more perhaps), since XenialDog is not pure 'non-free' anyway (Ubuntu doesn't have the strict policy that Debian has, as you know, and Xenialdog has also non-free firmware included)
- I will not create any repository in the DD Organization that doesn't fit with your standards. (probably keep only the doglinux website as my small contribution there)

Note that the above is just a proposition, I'm open for anything.
And of course all in consultation with William, he's the manager Smile

Please think about it, and even if you don't have plans to work on fixing or releasing in the near future it might be good to arrange things different as soon as possible in the DD Organization.

P.S. You wrote some time ago about that all your commits in the Jessie repository were gone, well, that was not intentionally that I wanted to do such thing, it was just that I messed things up badly and it seemed as the only way out to start all over again.

Fred


Hi Fred.

This sounds like a cheap trading to me. I will take DebianDog, you will take XenialDog, William is the owner of the organisation page and manager... What happened with the community project? I asked for reopening the threads because William complains about locking his own work in the community threads. Where is the community part in all this?

Let me remind you the community work behind DebianDog (and behind MintPup and XenialDog):
saintless wrote:
I like to give my Thanks to Smokey and KazzaMozz for hosting DebianDog project here, here, here,
to Debian team for keeping Debian such flexible system,
to this forum for the opportunity to work on a project different from puppy linux,
to our forum members working on DebianDog development: Fred (fredx181), Terry (sunburnt), William (mcewanw), Sergey (sklimkin),
and for the valuable advices to: jbv, sfs, catsezmoo, big_bass, emil, dancytron, anikin from our forum
and dzz from www.debianuserforums.org
And to Sickgut for his original idea that made possible DebianDog to exist.


I asked for one simple thing here and none of you did it:
saintless wrote:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225

My last request to you, William, is to include the credits from the link above somewhere easy readable on the DebianDog organisation page.


Show some respect to the people who really made this project and post the credits in every of your projects pages. Don't play the silly game "I'm solo developer and I build all alone with some help from my new friends".
Your new friends have nothing to do with any Dog project except using our work for free. Read the names above again and show some respect to those people. I don't care if you say sorry to me, but do it for them!

About your suggestion I don't think me or you can make this project community one. I can be only contributor if the community really takes over the project. That includes XenialDog. It should be called UbuntuDog-Xenial instead. I'm sure you know which is the UbuntuDog-Trusty (+ some extra repo access).
Then we can talk about license and non-free issues. Reading your words I think you don't understand the real problem with non-free. Ubuntu respects the non-free license. XenialDog does not. BTW you have non-free firmware included from your very first DebianDog-openbox version, even not registered in dpkg as non-free.

You don't have to answer me if it is not your type of communication. The Puppy forum community is in charge now for all dog projects. Let them decide the future. Or continue the solo game with your new friends. Just give the deserved credits to the real people behind all Dog based projects. I've never asked anything more from you.

Toni

_________________
Farewell, Nooby, you will be missed...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 956

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017, 17:01    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Hi dancytron !
Not so urgent.......just suffered a bit of boredom !Have an "old " version from Debian Stretch installed to Usb-Stick ,so no need to cause you unnecessary work ...... would be redundant .
Deb Dog Jessie also still works like charme .
So thanks for your good will .


If you have a link to a 32 bit Debian Stretch version that doesn't have a buggy experimental window manager, post it and I'll try to upgrade and remaster it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2644
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017, 18:23    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
This sounds like a cheap trading to me....
...


It's not meant as a trading from my side, my proposition is just an attempt to let you know that:
You and I can try to forget about what happened in the past and make a new start, so that you can do your constructive thing and I do mine.

Just thought it might be good that you have the opportunity to rebuild the github DD organization just the way you like without being obstructed in some way by me (or differences in opinion or whatever differences).
Please think about something like that, or maybe you have another proposition that makes a fresh start possible?

My interest is to just end the conflicts and I'm wide open for anything that can lead to that.

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 12 [173 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0677s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0055s) ][ GZIP on ]