Dual booting Windows XP/Puppy Linux

Booting, installing, newbie
bosston

#1 Post by bosston »

Which should be on the primary partition - Windows or Linux?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Windows, because that's where it expects to be. :lol: Puppy plays nice wherever you put it.

bosston

Dual booting Windows XP/Linux

#3 Post by bosston »

Thanks.

:lol:

bosston

#4 Post by bosston »

Update: Actually I was able to delete the partition in Windows XP Disk Management. I'm trying the install again.

I installed Windows first then did the Puppy Linux formatted has ext3 primary also only other choice was extended which is probably why I'm getting this error.

After installing GRUB, Windows boots in fine. I get a Line 15 error and get sent back to the GRUB main menu when loading Puppy. I tried deleting the /dev/hda2/ partition in Gparted to maybe reformat has ext2 file system but says the Device or Resource is busy when trying to unmount the drive. I'm trying to delete the partition from the cd.

bosston

#5 Post by bosston »

I figured it out. I should have did a Normal install instead of Coexist.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. I believe you can have up to 4 "primary" partitions, one of which can be an "extended" partition which is internally split into some number of partitions, I forget how many.

If you just want a dual-boot system with Windows and Puppy, use the Windows install disk to create a "primary" NTFS partition big enough for what you want to do with Windows and leave the rest of the hard drive blank. After you've installed Windows to the NTFS partition, use gparted from the Puppy CD to partition and format the unused space on the hard drive for Puppy.

How you divide up the unused space on the hard drive depends on what you intend to use Puppy for. For general use, create a Linux swap partition, an ext2 or ext3 partition for Puppy and one for each user. The swap partition should be at least 128 MB (256 is better), unless you have 512MB or more of RAM, in which case you probably don't need a swap partition at all. The size of the Puppy partition depends on what applications you want to use. Say, 250MB at least, but surely not more than 1GB; Puppy isn't that fat. :lol:

Does that help?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]