artsown

#16 Post by artsown »

Sailor, I was surprised to hear that you are abandoning tahr and
xenial pups because of a freezing bug. We use the 64 bit latest
versions without any freezing problems. As I've posted more than
once, palemoon has given us problems. But the latest versions of
Firefox and Google Chrome are solid as a rock for us. In the case of
tahrpup64 I use the 4.9.15 kernel.

I guess we are focused on different kinds of useage. I rarely compile.
The most intensive thing I've done is to remaster xenial64 a few times.
Our intensive use here is on the internet. Maybe there are hardware
differences causing our different experiences. We use (often Dell) tower
PCs having dual core and core duo cpus.

Seems to me that it's very important to try to get at the cause of
the problems you have. You can't keep on living in the dark ages
of 32 bits for long :) The technological and marketing rat races will
not allow it.

Art

6502coder

#17 Post by 6502coder »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:I've been using the Slacko 5.7.1 iso above in the 2nd post as my main OS for a while now....
I gave this a whirl on my 2003 Compaq Presario. Very nice!

Sailor Enceladus

#18 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Thanks 6502coder! Thanks also for telling me about the e3 bug. :) I've added a non-stripped version into the adrv.

belham2

#19 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:....
Hi Sailor,

So i finally got around to downloading your Slacko 5.7. Very nice stuff. 8Geee and you are now my official Slacko-stable guys, as in I can pop it in anywhere on the house systems, from oldie computers to somewhat newer laptops, and just go...no muss, no fuss. To this day, I gotta fight with other slacko-based OSes just to get things like my dual-monitors recognized & redshift to work. Yours (and like all of Mickos 32-and-64 bit creations) fired both up right away without me lifting a finger :D Darn good stuff.

Only thing I did was added LXterminal (gotta have a terminal with copy/paste function----urxvt drives me nuts not having left-click highlight & right-click copy/paste/etc). Also, I complied the latest openssl-i686 as the Jan 16, 2016 version that is in there---it's a bit dated, lol. :wink: Also, if anyone wants/needs this latest openssl-1.0.2l-i686 version, just give a shout. Its' good in many if not most others in i686-puppyland, except the DebianDogs. I used the compile parameters of "--etc=/usr & --openssldir=/etc/ssl" so it should be good to go. It's compiled into a pet & I can easily upload it to my Google Drive Puppy Download site. Just let me know :wink:
Attachments
Sailor's-Slacko-5.7.png
(39.63 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Openssl-1.0.2l-i686.png
(20.04 KiB) Downloaded 551 times

mikeslr

#20 Post by mikeslr »

Hi belham2,

Since the time 0micko published Slacko 5.7 its been my workhorse, the 32-bit system I boot into whenever the current default on grub4dos doesn't provide what I want or I don't have a reason to play around with something else. It does what it does and it does it well and on every computer I've run it from (Toshiba Satellite L775 excepted).

So a current openssl would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it, especially if "Its' good in many if not most others in i686-puppyland".

Perhaps you could post a short notice on the Additional Software Forum, Security, with a link.

Thanks,

mikesLr

belham2

#21 Post by belham2 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi belham2,

Since the time 0micko published Slacko 5.7 its been my workhorse, the 32-bit system I boot into whenever the current default on grub4dos doesn't provide what I want or I don't have a reason to play around with something else. It does what it does and it does it well and on every computer I've run it from (Toshiba Satellite L775 excepted).

So a current openssl would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it, especially if "Its' good in many if not most others in i686-puppyland".

Perhaps you could post a short notice on the Additional Software Forum, Security, with a link.

Thanks,

mikesLr

Done.

Here's the link to the thread (and download link) in the Security section:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 225#962225

watchdog

#22 Post by watchdog »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 149#941149

I join to Nostalgics Anonymous... (The problem is that I have plenty of old hardwares which work faster with old libs...)

6502coder

#23 Post by 6502coder »

@belham2 and watchdog
Many thanks for the openssl pets!

mikeslr

Opera 12.16 as Web-browser

#24 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Thought I'd just mention that despite its inability to properly render graphic rich webpages, and increasing inability to even access them, opera 12.16 remains, IMHO, the fastest, most versatile web-browser for old and even new Puppies, Opera 12.16 continues to present the web-pages of this Forum perfectly.

Pets can be located on several repos. But I just download and unpack to /mnt/home any of several offering from here: http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1216/.

It can be run by browsing to and clicking the opera script. You can drag the script to the desktop (and give it a nice icon). Or, elsewhere, I've explained how to create a Menu Entry for such "External Program". http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 56c#507532. Once you have a Menu entry, you can also install it into a Launcher.

Run as an External Program, Opera is entirely self-contained. Settings and bookmarks are automatically stored into its folder, which is also where webpages are cached. Consequently, it takes up no room in a SaveFile beyond that involved to provide access to it; and no Save is necessary to preserve changes.

mikesLr

belham2

#25 Post by belham2 »

As time goes by, it makes me appreciate just how far Jemimah was ahead of her time. To this day, even the early Saluki 014 (iterations stopped in the mid 20s, if I recall correctly) just sings to a user today, right now, with its functionality, stability and looks/customization. Wherever you are, Jemimah, I hope you are well & know that you are missed:
Attachments
saluki-sublime.png
(245.23 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
little-touches-like-symlinks-to-often-used-directories.png
(161.07 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

tallboy

#26 Post by tallboy »

musher0 wrote:Anyway, those Puppies are now 4 years old. That's eons as computer
development goes. They were tops in their day -- 4 years ago.

If you want to upgrade them for pleasure or to "maintain your technique"
like a guitarist or a keyboardist, that's actually great -- for you.
My linuxbox was made almost 2 decades ago, 4 year old puppies are almost new! :D And remember, the worlds best guitar amplifiers, Marshall, are still made with vacuum tubes...

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.