How to remaster Tahr 605 from usb?

Booting, installing, newbie
pupiox

How to remaster Tahr 605 from usb?

#1 Post by pupiox »

I put tahr 6.0.5 on a usb stick with dd and booted it. I then installed 3 packages. I want to remaster the usb with those packages on it.

I couldn't get remastering to work when booted from usb. I shut down and created a save dir. I booted from cd instead, restored from the save dir, and did the remaster to create an iso. If I make a usb stick from that iso it won't boot. If I make a cd from that iso it boots but doesn't have the 3 new packages.

I tried making an adrv out of the save dir but then I don't know what to do with it. You can't copy it to the usb since it is read only when mounted.

Any ideas? I just want a bootable usb stick with puppy plus a few packages.

Thanks!

pupiox

#2 Post by pupiox »

I tried booting from cd then doing a regular install to usb (after creating a partition on the usb stick and formatting as ext4). It won't boot the usb.

dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

You are making it too hard. You don't need to remaster to get what you want.

Install to the USB stick. Install your 3 packages. Then, when you reboot create a "save file" (not a save folder, because it won't work on your usb stick because it is probably not in a linux format) on your usb stick. Make it big enough to have room for growth but not too big. If you usb stick is 3 Gb or bigger, make the save file 1 Gb.

That's it, you should be good to go.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Because you did your original USB install using dd, you have probably buggered up the MBR on the flash drive.

Run Gparted > Device > Create Partition Table

Then create a new partition and flag it as bootable.

frenchiveruti

#5 Post by frenchiveruti »

dancytron wrote:You are making it too hard. You don't need to remaster to get what you want.

Install to the USB stick. Install your 3 packages. Then, when you reboot create a "save file" (not a save folder, because it won't work on your usb stick because it is probably not in a linux format) on your usb stick. Make it big enough to have room for growth but not too big. If you usb stick is 3 Gb or bigger, make the save file 1 Gb.

That's it, you should be good to go.
That kind of defeats the idea of the on RAM boot, for example I have firefox 54 on my Tahrpup save folder, but I don't have it on the default Tahrpup that's still on my USB key. And it would be very useful to remaster it so I can use the lastest firefox directly on no-save

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

Don't know what kind of install he did on the USB drive but a frugal install and then remaster should work. Keep the installation frugal and boot with menu.lst. I'm sure this method MUST work, I've done it myself.

pupiox

#7 Post by pupiox »

Hey just to let you guys know, the answer was:

Code: Select all

isohybrid
You just run it on the iso after you remaster.

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

pupiox wrote:Hey just to let you guys know, the answer was:

Code: Select all

isohybrid
You just run it on the iso after you remaster.
It's not necessary to make an iso after the remaster if it's a frugal install to usb.

pupiox

#9 Post by pupiox »

Well maybe I didn't explain it well but all I wanted was a remaster and nothing to do with a frugal install.

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

You don't need to make an iso to be able to boot from a flashdrive.

pupiox

#11 Post by pupiox »

nic007 wrote:You don't need to make an iso to be able to boot from a flashdrive.
But you need to make an iso to boot an iso from a flashdrive. You don't seem to get the difference between an install and a bootable iso.

frenchiveruti

#12 Post by frenchiveruti »

What I do is:
remaster the puppy on a RAM session with the packages I want to include in it.
Let the new ISO be created.
Once is created, I mount it and take the "tarhpup_remaster.sfs" from it and replace my "tahrpup,sfs" that is in my flashdrive with the remastered one.
Then I simply rename accordingly and delete de old one (actually, back it up until you see it's working fine)
Delete the ISO so it doesn't bother there.

rockedge

#13 Post by rockedge »

But you need to make an iso to boot an iso from a flashdrive. You don't seem to get the difference between an install and a bootable iso.
I do not see an advantage of booting an ISO image against a Frugally installed or not, file system.
all that happens is the iso gets expanded and chooted and seems to have no real advantage in relation to a installed Puppy Linux.

I re-master Puppy Linux by using a manual method described very well here : http://www.smokey01.com/coolpup/remastering.html

this may work for you directly from the USB booted OS you seek to re-master. I make re-masters so I can install or run an OS with some packages built in specializing the re-master....like zoneminder and a CCTV security NVR....ready to go.