Has anyone created a Puppy version to be just a firewall?

For discussions about security.
purple379

Has anyone created a Puppy version to be just a firewall?

#1 Post by purple379 »

That is to plug my primary computer connection through, and controlled by a version of Puppy that acts to block all connections not specifically approved.

A bit overwhelming as a lot of sites insist that they go all over the internet to acquire advertising, or perhaps to record what the user is doing.

I guess I am showing my ignorance. I think the basic firewalls, are limited compared to some of the pay for products. Like on my Apple OS X, I used a program called "Little Snitch," which starts with its own white list, and then requires that I authorize any other contact. Although I can alter "Little Snitches" original White List if I choose.

I was thinking that such a Firewall might prevent the "Intel Management Engine" from having its firmware changed, and prevent the computer from sending information anywhere that the user blocks.

Also thinking it would be interesting to have a program that can verify which firmware is actually installed by pulling a copy, and going through verification. Not just reading the header. I guess that is not a Firewall issue though. Just seems it is not worth its own post.

s243a

#2 Post by s243a »

If you base your firewall on a whitelist then your don't need a large propriatary block list. If you connect to the internet via a proxy then your firmware probably won't know how to connect to a given website. Maybe use a blocklist for traffic going through the proxy and work on a whitelist philosophy for any trafic not going through the proxy.

If you are using puppy as a middlebox then any version of puppy should be able to do this. If you are looking for a security oriented version of puppylinix then give Pauli a Try. Also take a look at attack pup. It is old but might have some interesting network sniffing tools included with it.

A commercial firewall appliance uses deep packet inspection because in a comercial environment you might not know in advance what ports or connections that people need to make. This is probably overkill for a home network. If you need to connect to your home network remotly them maybe try some VPN software (e.g. tinc)