Which built in packages to safely remove ?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Limbomusic

Which built in packages to safely remove ?

#1 Post by Limbomusic »

I want to update my remastered tahr6.0.5 but want to keep
iso size to a minimum, so I was wondering:

From Menu-Setup-Remove built in packages - is there any info or a list
of which packages to safely remove? OR a list of "essentials" which must NOT be removed?
-----
Side note:
I'm also pondering/planning to remaster a "web-server pup" - I have a hiawatha_10.4.pet - but the latest is 10.6 - Anyone have a .pet for that?
( I have NO idea how to compile anything)

Limbomusic

ok

#2 Post by Limbomusic »

uh - well upon further investigation:
Menu-setup-remove builtin packages -> "help" ;-) was actually - somewhat helpful !
Altho it would be nice to know what should definitely NOT be removed.

I went ahead and removed some games and some business/calculator and other apps (but it didnt help much size-wise probably, ended up with 331mb) - includes aisleriot solitaire, chrome 46 with working flash, hiawatha version 10.4, CamPhoneTab1.5 and dir2iso-1.0
I also added a hiawatha.desktop to startup (with my own standard/generic config of hiawatha.conf) so the machine will be an instant webserver upon boot (if connected to internet) just add html/content to /root/Web_Server.
To test just type 127.0.0.1 in the adress field - or from another networked pc - type in the ip-adress of the webserver-pc in a browser and u should see the start-page.
Then, if u wanna go live/online - u just port-forward port 80 on your router to the internal ip of the webserver and get a domain or a ddns-service-adress to link to your external ip. (www.noip.com is a good free one)

In case anyone wanna try out my "webserver-puppy" its here: http://helledussen.com/linux/ISO/kjartans_WEBpup.iso
All settings are set to norway - but selectable at boot.

Any feedback of any kind would be awesome.

edit - shucks - forgot that you also have to edit /etc/hiawatha/hiawatha.conf where it says:
Interface = 127.0.0.1 - change this to your local IP
Last edited by Limbomusic on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

Limbomusic

and

#3 Post by Limbomusic »

I'm just talking to myself :-)
I read here that one should always endeavor to use woof when building a pup - so I did. I installed the devx.sfs and downloaded the latest woof-ce testing thing - and after some misses and cursing and waiting - I managed to build a new webserver-pup tahr 6.0.6 - so I think its quite "up to date".
I used Kernel 3.14.54 for unknown reasons.
link: http://helledussen.com/linux/ISO/kjartansWEBpup2.iso

Anyhoo... cheerio miss sophies

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Thank you for keeping us posted. You've added to the forum even if nobody responds. :)

slavvo67

#5 Post by slavvo67 »

Limbo:

Good luck. I find using Woof quite challenging and rewarding. Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Kind regards,

Slavvo67

rufwoof

#6 Post by rufwoof »

For my Debian base, I used apt search to identify recommended and suggested and cleared those out (the following is a copy of my notes at that time of the purging). Leaving just important/needed core packages.

After zero sizing all docs and man pages, along with installing localepurge so only to keep the actual used locale, that knocked the basic Debian (command line only version) down to < 100MB (compressed i.e. sfs).

Perhaps of no use to you, but you never know (and in the absence of anyone else piping in).

Code: Select all

apt-get purge aptitude
apt-get autoremove
apt-get clean

apt-get purge acpi
apt-get purge acpid
apt-get purge aptitude
apt-get purge at
apt-get purge aspell
apt-get purge aspell-en
apt-get purge avahi-daemon
apt-get purge base-config
apt-get purge bash-completion
apt-get purge bc
apt-get purge bin86
apt-get purge bind9-host
apt-get purge ca-certificates
apt-get purge console-common
apt-get purge console-data
apt-get purge console-tools
apt-get purge cupsys-client
apt-get purge cupsys-bsd
apt-get purge cupsys-driver-gutenprint
apt-get purge cupsys-pdf
apt-get purge dc
apt-get purge debian-faq
apt-get purge debian-faq-de
apt-get purge debian-faq-fr
apt-get purge debian-faq-it
apt-get purge debian-faq-zh-cn
#
#dhcp DHCP Client
#dhcp3-client DHCP Client
#dhcp3-common DHCP Client
#
apt-get purge dictionaries
apt-get purge dnsutils
apt-get purge doc-debian
apt-get purge doc-linux-text
apt-get purge eject
apt-get purge fdutils
apt-get purge file
apt-get purge finger
apt-get purge foomatic-filters
apt-get purge gcc-3.3
apt-get purge gettext-base
apt-get purge groff
apt-get purge gnupg
apt-get purge gnu-efi
apt-get purge grub
apt-get purge hplip
apt-get purge iamerican
apt-get purge ibritish
apt-get purge info
apt-get purge ispell
apt-get purge laptop-detect
apt-get purge libavahi-compat-libdnssd1
apt-get purge libgpmg1
apt-get purge manpages
apt-get purge mtools
apt-get purge mtr-tiny
apt-get purge mutt
apt-get purge nano
apt-get purge netcat
apt-get purge net-tools
apt-get purge ncurses-term
apt-get purge openssh-client
apt-get purge openssh-server
apt-get purge openssl
apt-get purge pidentd
apt-get purge ppp
apt-get purge pppconfig
apt-get purge pppoe
apt-get purge pppoeconf
apt-get purge read-edid
apt-get purge reportbug
apt-get purge smclient
apt-get purge ssh
apt-get purge tasksel
apt-get purge tcsh
apt-get purge traceroute
apt-get purge usbutils
apt-get purge vim-common
apt-get purge vim-tiny
apt-get purge wamerican
apt-get purge w3m
apt-get purge whois
apt-get purge zeroinstall-injector

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

rufwoof wrote:Perhaps of no use to you...
Really. Some newcomer reading this would assume that "apt-get purge" is a valid Puppy procedure.

slavvo67

#8 Post by slavvo67 »

I believe the majority of puppies and quirkies have a Remove Built-In Packages option in the Menu. I believe Quirky has it under Setup in the Menu items.

Also, as the others replying to this thread already know, you can look under /root/.packages/builtin_files directory for a list of text files showing everything installed via Woof and where it's located. Note, the "." in the packages directory.... When viewing directories in Rox-Filer, you need to left click the little eye icon to view hidden directories.

I think your question, however, is more of what can be removed without breaking Puppy or Quirky. I'm sure there are some common denominators but my guess is it probably varies from Puppy to Puppy....

Sailor Enceladus

Re: and

#9 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Your question certainly depends on what you find useful. I'd remove everything related to "web-server" for instance. :)

Limbomusic

.jwmrc suddenly reverting

#10 Post by Limbomusic »

Thank you for suggestions and replies. Upon further thinking - I guess a iso file size of 330mb is sort of negligable in these times with cheap usb sticks and fiberoptics - and also - developers who spend time making apps for puppy deserve to of have their work IN the pups. I mean - as long as one can choose which apps to start at boot - it doesnt impede on performance.

Side note - If I make changes to the ".jwmrc" file to change colors/menu-icons - it often just reverts to an older state (?) - I find this puzzling and somewhat irritating. Like - when I booted my pc from my new woofed (and then remastered) pup - everythings fine - but after installing to HD - the .jwmrc file "reverted" to some older state without including the changes I'd made. Icons were missing in the menu and such. Does anyone know why that happens?

perdido

Re: .jwmrc suddenly reverting

#11 Post by perdido »

Limbomusic wrote: Side note - If I make changes to the ".jwmrc" file to change colors/menu-icons - it often just reverts to an older state (?) - I find this puzzling and somewhat irritating. Like - when I booted my pc from my new woofed (and then remastered) pup - everythings fine - but after installing to HD - the .jwmrc file "reverted" to some older state without including the changes I'd made. Icons were missing in the menu and such. Does anyone know why that happens?
The .jwmrc file is a system generated file. If you directly modify the .jwmrc file the changes will keep until the menu gets updated or refreshed, which happens when you install a .pet or restart JWM.

At the top of the .jwmrc file there is a little warning not to directly edit .jwmrc , only edit the templates.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<JWM>

<!-- IMPORTANT, ONLY EDIT /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc -->
It can get complicated editing the templates.

Forum member musher0 has studied the menu system and may be of help if you are wanting to do some template adjustments.

The documentation is located at http://joewing.net/projects/jwm/

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

It is really up to you as to what you want in Puppy.

To be safe, I would only remove a named program listed in the menu.

However, those programs are in Puppy for specific reasons, so Puppy has everything, normally needed, to do just about anything.

In the posted list in a previous post. I see stuff I would want to have in Puppy.

Say you remove Abiword.
What is going to display a Windows doc file, a text file, etc....?
That is probably a bad example, but you get the idea.
I always install LibreOffice to do real document stuff.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Limbomusic

.jwmrc solved

#13 Post by Limbomusic »

perdido - thank you !
You put me on the track to what might be a bit "cheeky" solution.
In my case - the .jwmrc file in root would only be "overwritten/renewed" (and hence - "broken" on reboot after creating a save-file - Then the menu would be missing icons - anyway - I just want my edited (I know - not supposed to) .jwmrc file to be left alone - and based on the readme file in /etc/xdg/templates - here lies a file called _root_.jwmrc - and upon "renewal" - the "_" in the filename changes to "/" SO - I did a remaster - and before /tmp/etc/ gets added - went in and renamed that file to "_root_my-documents_.jwmrc" so that when anything happens - the new "broken" .jwmrc file gets added to /my-documents instead of /root - where it can't do any harm :-)
I tested it just now - works like a charm :-) huhey !

perdido

Re: .jwmrc solved

#14 Post by perdido »

Limbomusic wrote:perdido - thank you !
You put me on the track to what might be a bit "cheeky" solution.
In my case - the .jwmrc file in root would only be "overwritten/renewed" (and hence - "broken" on reboot after creating a save-file - Then the menu would be missing icons - anyway - I just want my edited (I know - not supposed to) .jwmrc file to be left alone - and based on the readme file in /etc/xdg/templates - here lies a file called _root_.jwmrc - and upon "renewal" - the "_" in the filename changes to "/" SO - I did a remaster - and before /tmp/etc/ gets added - went in and renamed that file to "_root_my-documents_.jwmrc" so that when anything happens - the new "broken" .jwmrc file gets added to /my-documents instead of /root - where it can't do any harm :-)
I tested it just now - works like a charm :-) huhey !
Thats an interesting work-around, way to go!

Limbomusic

hu

#15 Post by Limbomusic »

;-)

OscarTalks

Re: Which built in packages to safely remove ?

#16 Post by OscarTalks »

Limbomusic wrote: I have a hiawatha_10.4.pet - but the latest is 10.6 - Anyone have a .pet for that?
I was experimenting with compiling hiawatha-10.6 in Wheezy
Might be OK in Tahr 6.0.5 but take the usual precautions if testing.
The paths for logs and data are under /var/hiawatha which may be different from earlier versions but it shouldn't matter. These paths can be controlled by the /etc/hiawatha/hiawatha.conf file of course.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

Limbomusic

Brilliant !

#17 Post by Limbomusic »

Thank you OscarTalks !! :-)
Works brilliantly ! (in my fresh woof-built 6.0.6 32bit webserver-pup)

Hugs and kisses :D