2.10 wireless instruction No. 1 suggestion

Booting, installing, newbie
lawquest

2.10 wireless instruction No. 1 suggestion

#1 Post by lawquest »

It took me two hours to figure out that there was no XP dirvers folder on my puppy system, that, instead, the instruction meant to navigate to the cdrom (where I had copied a downloaded Linksys WPC54GS driver) and there open an xterm window. Suggest you amend it as above and that you also note that users such as yours truly, who have lost the disk that came with their wireless card, can often just download them from the manufacturer's site.

In any event, once I figured that out, the wizard readily did the rest on my old Omnibook 900. If you get this post, my wireles card works perfectly.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I added "on the CD" to the Wizard message:
"Open a terminal in the XP drivers folder on the CD."

Actually, I think there is a website that has links to drivers that are tested to
work with ndiswrapper -- perhaps some info about that would be good.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

The ndiswrapper compatibility webpage is here http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/medi ... x.php/List
It would be nice if they also listed wifi adaptors which DON'T work with ndiswrapper.

lawquest

thanks

#4 Post by lawquest »

I have nowwiped the drive and installed puppy 2.10 on the hard-drive. I am involved with our Lions Club's "Computers for Kids" program and we are thinking of using Puppy on those machine. Explains my efforts. I need to know about Puppy to answer the kids' questions. Main issue I am facing now is that I will need to install the new Open Office and the latest Lyx as we use them constantly at my office. The new Open office now writes to odt files rather than swx. And we use postgresql a lot too. And dosemu. If I don't install these with Pupget I won't use the Puppy machine much and therefore will have some trouble answering kids' questions. Good kind of problem to have.

Thanks again. That's actually why I installed Puppy on the drive. I got tired of having to go through a complete copy over of the wireless drivers when I turned the machine on. Now I have them on the hard drive and on reboot all I have to do is run "modprobe ndiswrapper," toggle Dhcp and I'm on the internet.

Thanks again.

John